Author Topic: Who to use as a reference  (Read 2175 times)

PhillyWill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Stubble
Who to use as a reference
« on: September 16, 2016, 10:07:49 AM »
Hi folks,
     I just scheduled the first interview of my nascent job hunt and they have specifically requested references. The people who I feel would be my best references are my current coworkers and supervisor. However, none of these people know that I'm job hunting.

Some Background:
     My job is very much a starter job. When I was hired, there was a verbal agreement that after 2 years it would be time for me to move up or move out. I have been here 1 year, during which time I have completed two professional licenses on my firm's dime. I don't expect bad blood over leaving early, but I'm not 100% confident in saying that my supervisor will react positively. Fairly confident, but not 100%. My primary reason for leaving is to move to another city where my SO has just lined up her first teaching job. I just received a glowing annual review here, and I'm confident that my work record is solid. All of my reading about job transitions has indicated a preference towards "Here's my two weeks" out of the blue rather than giving any advance notice of leaving. Knowing that I'm just taking the first of what may be many interviews, should I keep my cards close to my chest?

There are several other possible references I can think of, but they are coworkers from previous jobs with whom I haven't worked in multiple years. Is this an issue? The skills I used in that past job are only loosly related to those required for the jobs I'm now applying for.

Ask away, I'm sure I've left out some pertinent information. This is all new to me and I welcome any advice :)

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
Re: Who to use as a reference
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 10:20:17 AM »
Are there coworkers you can trust? If not, I think your best bet is to list your previous coworkers/supervisor even if from a while ago and explain.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 11:28:36 AM »
Over my entire career through a handful of jobs, I never once was asked for a reference. I was an engineer. I've often wondered if it was just my profession, region, or if they just aren't needed anymore.

I always had some ready though in case they asked. In your case, I wouldn't ask my boss or anyone in management. I would ask a trusted coworker. Generally though, I think most employers wouldn't bat an eye if you said you didn't have any references at your current employment and just gave them ones from prior employment.

PhillyWill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 11:36:05 AM »
Here's one thing I missed. I'm meeting with a recruiter next week and the confirmation email specifically requested 3 references. It was definitely a form email not tailored to me.