Author Topic: Who loves peanut butter?  (Read 24887 times)

iamadummy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Who loves peanut butter?
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2014, 08:02:30 AM »
I've grown the peanuts and roast myself. Minimal cost.  Add salt.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2014, 08:03:52 AM »
I love peanut butter. I sometimes buy the health food shop one but to be honest I like the cheap, unhealthy brands too. It's a nice breakfast to have peanut butter on toast with a cup of (instant) coffee. I'm a philistine.:D

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2014, 08:54:50 AM »
If your peanut butter has anything but peanuts and salt, you are hurting your health (and eating something less yummy)

Can you quantify this please?  Will I get sick more often? Will I die a year earlier? Will my colon be less healthy? Will my skin have a sickly pallor?

What oils seem to be most harmful to us is a moving target indeed. Twenty years ago people thought coconut oil was the devil. Now it's the nectar of the gods apparently. You know what was viewed as a health triumph in a decade past (forget which one)? When the health conscious among us got McDonalds to stop using peanut oil for their fries.

I think I'll stick with my peanut butter with some vegetable oil in it. It doesn't separate and it is darned easy to spread on my kid's sandwich in the morning when I am still groggy.

I made this peanut butter granola last night and it is delicious: http://carrotsncake.com/2014/03/healthy-highly-addictive-peanut-butter-granola.html

Also, throw some frozen bananas and some peanut butter in a blender with a splash of milk and you've got a delicious snack that tastes like ice cream.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2014, 09:09:20 AM »
Love, love, love it. We buy the "natural creamy" (whatever that means) brand from Aldi's. I think it's $1 per jar. We eat it as a treat/snack on the weekends with carrots, apples, and bananas. Our frugal hound loves it too; bonus: she looks hilarious eating it.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:30 AM »
I would just like to add that I love peanut butter.

Recipe:

1) Take two slices of bread
2) put a LOT of peanut butter on each one
3) put GOBS of Smuckers jam (any type) in the middle of the peanut butter side of one piece
4) squish together the non jammed piece on the top, peanut butter side down of course
5) Try to eat without having the jam spill out! - I'm still working on that part but good sandwiches always have some jam spill!
6) Have glass of milk or something handy
7) Delight in the awesomeness that has occured

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2014, 10:41:51 AM »
The costco natural stuff is a fine consistency if you store it in the fridge.  Just peanuts and salt, I believe.  While it's new, keep it at room temp.  Then when you open it, give it a good stir (a long iced tea spoon or butter knife will work), and pop it in the fridge for future uses.

We actually don't eat much PB&J, but we like it with apples, bananas, and celery, as an ice cream topping, and I've been meaning to add it to smoothies.  On toast an bagels sprinkled with cocoa powder!  DH eats primarily grain free, so he just eats it straight off the spoon.  It goes fast in our house.  I think it would probably be good in yogurt and oatmeal, too.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2014, 11:01:38 AM »
On toast an bagels sprinkled with cocoa powder!

We do this too, only we sprinkle cinnamon instead of cocoa powder.

I also forgot a nutella and peanut butter sandwich. Yum!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2014, 12:14:29 PM »
Can anyone tell me how Kirkland prices at Costco compare to Amazon?  I can get two 40 oz jars of Kirkland's natural creamy peanut butter for $19.99 on Amazon with free shipping.  That's a lot more than Market Pantry at Target, but I'm wondering how Costco compares.

The same two pack from Costco itself is in the $10-$12 dollar range.  I wrote it down just yesterday, but lost the paper...  In case it makes a difference, that's the price in Utah.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2014, 01:46:53 PM »
Now I feel compelled to share that I wish I was eating peanut butter right now. Just ate an apple and it would've been A LOT better w/PB.

mollyjade

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2014, 03:03:21 PM »
I go through a jar or two a week, mostly just snacking. I'm another fan of Skippy Natural. I know natural is a BS term. I just like the texture and taste. There are exactly four ingredients, and I'm A-OK with all of them. My favorite way of eating pb is with a spoon, and natural just doesn't do the trick for me in that regard. I do feel a slight tinge of guilt about orangutan habitats, though.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2014, 03:14:36 PM »
East Wind peanut butter in my household, which is just nuts and salt. Apparently it's made at some kind of hippy commune.