Author Topic: Who loves peanut butter?  (Read 24866 times)

Prepube

• Stubble
Who loves peanut butter?
« on: September 14, 2014, 08:25:25 PM »
Mmmmmm.  I'm sitting here eating a pbj while I read the MMM forum.  I'm wondering if anyone else loves peanut butter like I do, and what kinds of recipes you use it in, other than cookies.  Also, what kind of peanut butter do you buy?  Anyone done a cost analysis to see if it is really as good for the pocket book as I always pretend it is?  This stuff I am eating right now seems a little pricey.  And please, no responses telling me I should eat almond butter or some other lame substance instead.  I love my peanut butter and there is no substitute for it!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Who loves peanut butter?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »
I just buy regular old Skippy reduced fat peanut butter and I buy it in bulk at the warehouse store along with grape jelly to save money.  I also bake my own bread with a bread machine, so my PBJ sandwiches are super cheap.  It's a great meal for workout days.  I believe there are some really easy make-your-own peanut butter cup recipes out there using silicone muffin pans, but I haven't tried it out yet.

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 08:33:57 PM »
I pay way too much for peanut butter- but do it all the time anyway. I buy "Adams" peanut butter. It is the only truly natural peanut butter sold here. (AKA: ingredients: Peanuts, salt). It's about 25 cents per ounce, making it about twice as expensive as JIF etc.

All of the other "natural" peanut butters have Cocoa butter etc in the ingredients- and taste worse. Some are even more expensive than adams, and have the annoying oils etc to prevent separation. I dont mind peanut butter that separates- stir it when you get it home, put it in the fridge, and it never separates again. I hate that market forces prefer the non seperating kind, as natural or not, it has more oil and is less healthy, but primarily I find it tastes worse!

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 09:00:17 PM »
I pay way too much for peanut butter- but do it all the time anyway. I buy "Adams" peanut butter. It is the only truly natural peanut butter sold here. (AKA: ingredients: Peanuts, salt). It's about 25 cents per ounce, making it about twice as expensive as JIF etc.

All of the other "natural" peanut butters have Cocoa butter etc in the ingredients- and taste worse. Some are even more expensive than adams, and have the annoying oils etc to prevent separation. I dont mind peanut butter that separates- stir it when you get it home, put it in the fridge, and it never separates again. I hate that market forces prefer the non seperating kind, as natural or not, it has more oil and is less healthy, but primarily I find it tastes worse!

Well I got you beat - I just paid $0.31/oz for Trader Joe's creamy peanut butter. Best stuff ever. Still cheap for calories!

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 09:04:11 PM »
First of all creamy sucks!

We buy the target brand natural peanut butter. Its just peanuts and salt. Its about $1 cheaper than the adams stuff.

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 09:09:40 PM »

We buy the target brand natural peanut butter. Its just peanuts and salt. Its about $1 cheaper than the adams stuff.

Well I love Creamy but Market Pantry Natural is just peanuts and salt- maybe I will pick some up tomorrow. I got jif for a $1 last time and as a peter pan lover it was tough but all better now (4 jars in).

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 09:54:26 PM »

Well I love Creamy but Market Pantry Natural is just peanuts and salt- maybe I will pick some up tomorrow. I got jif for a $1 last time and as a peter pan lover it was tough but all better now (4 jars in).

+1 one on the Target brand (Market Pantry). It's surprisingly cheap, has no hydrogenated oils (as far as I can tell), and tastes quite good.

BTW: Crunchy FTW.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:43:38 PM »
I used to buy Adam's all natural crunchy but it's just so much more expensive than the Skippy at Costco so I've been getting that instead.  Not as good but just enough to satisfy my peanut butter cravings and my kids don't notice.  But I am visiting my parents and went to a BJ's and saw some Smucker's All Natural and couldn't help myself and got it.  I made one as soon as I saw this thread.  Soooooo goooood!!!

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 10:48:46 PM »
Wow! We haven't been to Target in a long time, but have a gift card and eat lots of peanut butter... cheaper than Adams means it would be worth it to bike there occasionally for a stockup! (It's only 4 miles or so away)

I'll pick up a jar to compare it to Adams- if my wife and I like it, you probably just saved us $24 per year at minimum! (We went to Adams because it was cheaper than Smuckers natural and the sprouts product, etc...)

I also have an unused Target giftcard... You all are great!

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 12:19:19 AM »
We call it 'peanut paste', but I think that's a Queensland thing.

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 02:13:52 AM »
I'm from India, and I make my own for 1/4th the price of store brought equivalent. Peanuts roasted dry, some sugar, salt.

Here's my blog post:

http://2frugal.wordpress.com/2013/09/09/peanut-butter-is-incredibly-easy-to-make/

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 03:06:46 AM »
I buy crunch peanut butter from Aldi. I generally only eat it from a teaspoon. Not on sandwiches :p

We call it 'peanut paste', but I think that's a Queensland thing.

Definitely a Qld thing.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 04:38:00 AM »
I love peanut butter.

I think I have the cost/oz programmed in my phone based on Costco JIF.   When I find a better cost/oz, I buy it.  I'm not picky on brands

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 06:18:54 AM »
I love peanut butter! My mom used to say I was stuck together with peanut butter, I ate it so much!

PB&J is the best, of course, but PB on bananas, celery, apple slices (my favorite), and graham crackers is also pretty darn good!

I've tried many a natural peanut butter, but the oil separation/drying-out aspect is really annoying. I still do it, but I like JIF better!

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 07:53:47 AM »
I just buy regular old Skippy reduced fat peanut butter and I buy it in bulk at the warehouse store along with grape jelly to save money.  I also bake my own bread with a bread machine, so my PBJ sandwiches are super cheap.  It's a great meal for workout days.  I believe there are some really easy make-your-own peanut butter cup recipes out there using silicone muffin pans, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Have you read the label to Skippy reduced fat? It is terrible for you

Vs Kirkland

If your peanut butter has anything but peanuts and salt, you are hurting your health (and eating something less yummy)

gt7152b

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 08:28:31 AM »
I love peanuts in general and peanut butter is one of the best delivery vehicles for it. We stopped buying the sugar loaded processed stuff at the store and have been buying peanuts in bulk at costco to make our own. All you need is a food processor, a little honey, and a little canola oil to make some great tasting PB. Peanuts are really filling and very cheap. I love cashews and pecans also but it's so tough to justify the high cost of them.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
I love peanuts in general and peanut butter is one of the best delivery vehicles for it. We stopped buying the sugar loaded processed stuff at the store and have been buying peanuts in bulk at costco to make our own. All you need is a food processor, a little honey, and a little canola oil to make some great tasting PB. Peanuts are really filling and very cheap. I love cashews and pecans also but it's so tough to justify the high cost of them.

You shouldn't need honey or oil to make peanut butter. Just peanuts and salt.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 10:21:52 AM »
Try a spoonful on your morning oatmeal.  That's my new favorite.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 10:23:43 AM »
I love peanuts and peanut butter.  In addition to the sandwiches, we've made several thai dishes that use peanut butter in 'em . . .

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 10:54:31 AM »
I was going to list on the Mustachian Problems thread that sometimes one stockpiles peanut butter on sale so there's too much of it in the house.

Then I was like, no, wait it's impossible to have too much peanut butter in the house.

Personally I'm a Smuckers Natural fan, creamy or crunchy.  I haven't found another brand that tastes quite like it.  It's fucking magical.

CtrlMagicDel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 11:02:04 AM »
Serious Question: How are you supposed to eat Natural Peanut Butter? I bought a bunch of the Kirkland stuff but it is almost like liquid - you put it on a sandwich and it just drips off, even after refrigerating it. We went back to Skippy but still have 2 jars of natural lying around.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 11:05:29 AM »
Serious Question: How are you supposed to eat Natural Peanut Butter? I bought a bunch of the Kirkland stuff but it is almost like liquid - you put it on a sandwich and it just drips off, even after refrigerating it. We went back to Skippy but still have 2 jars of natural lying around.

That might just be crappy natural peanutbutter?  Or you might not have stirred it enough?  Personally I find I don't use as much as regular peanut butter because the taste is stronger, so that might be all it is.  Just like you can't put gobs of jelly in a sandwich without it dripping out.

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 11:29:02 AM »
I agree that the Costco natural does stay too runny.  I also agree that you can use quite a bit less natural to get the same taste but even so, the Costco brand runs off the bread.  I thought maybe the jar was just to big to get a good stir?  Because there is a good couple inches on the bottom that stays too dry.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 11:35:55 AM »
I love Target natural crunchy for $2.54 per jar, but it is a tad higher in salt than Smucker's natural which is about $1 more.

Favorite jelly:  Smuckers black raspberry sweetened with fruit juice (yummy!!).

All:  Caution in that many peanut butters (the standard varieties) contain trans fats.

CtrlMagicDel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 12:01:27 PM »
I will have to try giving it a good stir next time.

Thanks!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 12:35:56 PM »
Stirring tip: When you get the jar, store it upside down.  Part of the problem is it's been separated with nuts on the bottom for so long.  Flip it, and the oil will migrate back up to the top and that point it's mixed itself a little bit and is easier to integrate.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »
I get JIF or Skippy ("natural" version of either), whichever is on sale, although I'm trying to cut down.  Crunchy is the only way to go.  With creamy, you can't cram enough onto a sandwich!

CestMoi

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 01:06:04 PM »
I love peanut butter, and peanuts in general. In fact, I pretty much love all nut butters. I buy natural versions, and way prefer creamy peanut butter to crunchy.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »

Yes, stir plus fridge and it stays perfect.

If it is drippy after this, it means you didn't stir all the solid stuff in.. some can hide out in the edges of the very bottom.

Nancy

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »
Yes, I love peanut butter! It makes life wonderful. I buy a locally made, natural peanut butter with just peanuts and salt in it. I'm thinking of making my own when our stash runs out.

I eat peanut butter and raspberry jam on toast. I put it in smoothies with spinach, berries, and almond milk. I eat my bananas and apples with a bit less than a tablespoon of peanut butter (keeps me full longer). I also just eat it by the spoon. I also make granola bars and sweet treats (http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/) with peanut butter.

iamadummy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »
i like almond butter

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 04:26:09 PM »
We eat peanut butter at least once a day- PB toast for breakfast every single day. I often have oatmeal with raising and PB either mid morning or for lunch. And I use PB to make peanut sauce for stirfry and to make groundnut stew.

www.moosewoodcooks.com/west-african-groundnut-stew/

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 05:18:23 PM »
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. This is probably my most revealing post ever on here, but I eat peanut butter 4+ times a week. I've found the large size of store-brand peanut butter at Meijer, 5 pounds, is cheaper than anything else at Meijer, Walmart, Kroger, or Costco for me. Here is my recipe that I'll eat for breakfast and/or lunch: 2 scoops creamy peanut butter, melted in the microwave for 50 seconds. Stir in 1 cup raw oats. The end! Sooo good.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 05:44:51 PM »
I'm from India, and I make my own for 1/4th the price of store brought equivalent. Peanuts roasted dry, some sugar, salt.

Here's my blog post:

http://2frugal.wordpress.com/2013/09/09/peanut-butter-is-incredibly-easy-to-make/

Did the math, peanuts are more expensive here than peanut butter. Trader joes crunchy. $2.48/lb just peanuts and salt. I can rarely beat that price on a loss leader. My hubby eats at least a pound a week!

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 06:03:39 PM »
Yaaaaay!  More recipes please!  Peanut butter lovers rock!  I'm ready to make those bars that Nancy posted, and peanut sauce sounds great!  iamadummy, you broke my no-almond-butter rule.  Shame on you!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2014, 06:35:19 PM »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2014, 06:46:15 PM »

This also happens at my house, only with longer tongues.

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 07:50:43 PM »
My PB is purchased from our food co-op in 5 lb. buckets at $3/lb. They just increased the price though :( Glad I bought 5 buckets last time I went (on my bike). Seems to be the cheapest around here out of the places I'm going anyway (including compared to costco). This is with the criteria that my PB not have more than these two ingredients: peanuts, salt. Stirring needed upon opening, but then it lasts for a month or two, so not much of a hassle.

Primary uses:
-PB + apples as snack/light lunch
-PB+J
-PB graham cracker sandwich (carries well on bike; would prefer apples but they get bruised on my commute)
-Baked goods (cookies + bars)
-Sauce for stir fry

supersudo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2014, 08:03:17 PM »
I've been meaning to try this make-your-own peanut butter recipe for a long time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PAT_TKUO9U
It looks like it could be very cost-effective. And who doesn't love Alton Brown at least as much as peanut butter? AB + PB = probably amazing

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »
New buy two jars of peanut butter at a time......one creamy, and one crunchy.  Many an argument has been waged over the merits of each but I know deep down I am right.........

devan 11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2014, 09:20:03 PM »
  I buy 100% real peanut butter.  The flavor is awesome.  Part of having a great Mustachean life is to indulge in small pleasures that give pleasure beyond the small extra cost.  I love cooking Thai foods.  Rather than roast raw peanuts, I mix a small amount into the coconut milk and curry sauce.
  Peanut butter isn't just for salty sweet mixtures. Branch out into spicy peanut or savory peanut flavors.  You won't want to waste money in a restaurant again.

Runningtuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2014, 03:21:29 AM »
Peanut is good stuff, but almond butter by the spoon is a beautiful thing.
Not super cheap though, even making it myself.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2014, 04:56:48 AM »
I always loved peanut butter!  We used to butter the bread before adding the pb; just thought, then, everyone did it that way.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2014, 06:27:24 AM »
Best peanut butter ever: Government peanut butter.  Yep, the stuff they used to give out along with cheese, butter and eggs to poor people.  It came in a #10 can, and it was so thick that you had to mix it in with some honey -- otherwise it'd tear up the bread. 

Y'all who grew up middle class may've had shoes without holes, doctor visits when you were sick, and toys at Christmas . . . but, man, oh, man, we had the peanut butter. 

If they sold that stuff at the store, I'd buy it -- even at twice the price.  Then I'd invite my four siblings over and hand them each a spoon. 

Best thing available today:  Peter Pan in the 5-lb jars at Walmart.  It's not cheap, but ounce-for-ounce it's less expensive than other options.  I like Jiffy just as well, but it's more expensive. 

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2014, 08:02:23 AM »
Best peanut butter ever: Government peanut butter.  Yep, the stuff they used to give out along with cheese, butter and eggs to poor people.  It came in a #10 can, and it was so thick that you had to mix it in with some honey -- otherwise it'd tear up the bread. 

Y'all who grew up middle class may've had shoes without holes, doctor visits when you were sick, and toys at Christmas . . . but, man, oh, man, we had the peanut butter. 

If they sold that stuff at the store, I'd buy it -- even at twice the price.  Then I'd invite my four siblings over and hand them each a spoon. 

Best thing available today:  Peter Pan in the 5-lb jars at Walmart.  It's not cheap, but ounce-for-ounce it's less expensive than other options.  I like Jiffy just as well, but it's more expensive. 

My mother's best friend seemed to always have too much Government cheese- loved that cheese. My Father was in the Army, brought home MRE's, he loved that oily tinned PB.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2014, 08:54:22 AM »

Read the labels. Peter pan and Jiffy are both full of crap (real palm oil and sugar). I suspect the government issue peanut butter is also not great.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2014, 03:22:22 PM »
I love peanut butter!  I eat it almost every day as part of my lunch.  I used to buy Natural Crunchy Skippy or Jif (whichever was on sale).  I didn't like that they had sugar and palm oil, so I switched to the Kirkland brand as soon as my Costco started carrying it close to a year ago.  The Kirkland brand has only peanuts and salt.  Sadly, they only carry the creamy now -- crunchy was there for only a couple months.

I was at Costco trying out my brand new membership today, and mine carries crunchy.  They also have Adams natural crunchy, but not the Adams creamy.  Maybe it's a regional thing?

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2014, 11:15:41 PM »
TJs chunky unsalted.

I love it too much.

Nothing better then that caloric ambrosia on honey crisp apple slices for breakfast.

Fatso

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2014, 06:28:02 AM »
We love peanut butter! We usually make little sweet good for you type snacks. Here's our favorite:

1 Cup Peanut butter               (We use trader joe's brand)
2 TBSP whey protein powder  (We use gold standard, our normal workout brand)
1/4 Cup of Honey                    (We like local stuff but it's pricey! But worth it IMHO)

Mix the ingredients in a bowl and make 1 inch balls out of the mixture. I put the bowl in the fridge for about 20 minutes to make handling the mix easier. Then we roll it in something, coconut flakes or sprinkles, your choice. Freeze them for 20 minutes or however long you want for hardness.

They make very tasty and not so bad for you sweet snacks!

Fuggled

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2014, 07:39:58 AM »
Can anyone tell me how Kirkland prices at Costco compare to Amazon?  I can get two 40 oz jars of Kirkland's natural creamy peanut butter for $19.99 on Amazon with free shipping.  That's a lot more than Market Pantry at Target, but I'm wondering how Costco compares.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!