Author Topic: Who else tends to spend more during the summer?  (Read 4405 times)

StartingEarly

• Bristles
Who else tends to spend more during the summer?
« on: July 16, 2016, 11:14:08 AM »
I notice during the summer my spending is way up compared to the winter months. I tend to eat out more, grill out more, drive more, my motorcycle is able to be used and I just in general don't watch my spending as much.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
Re: Who else tends to spend more during the summer?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 11:23:25 AM »
We spend less -- more time at home (too hot to go anywhere), less Christmas....

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »
Usually less here too. The little bit more we spend on recreating doesn't compare to the winter's gas and electric bills.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 11:35:44 AM »
Another huge expense for the summer is kinda just deferred expenses. I have been fixing my Escape most of the summer so it now has all new wheel bearings, control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends, new transaxle fluid, battery air filter, it will be getting new tires soon, replaced the rear brake pads, rear shocks, finally replacing the front bumper a deer took out, it's adding up pretty quick.

SimplyMarvie

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 12:07:52 PM »
I have three kids, and Mr. Marvie is in education so we spend WAY more in the summer. First, because the kids are home and need activities to keep them from losing their minds and/or killing one another. Summer camp, rock climbing lessons (and gear), swim team (and gear), etc. Also, we do the lions share of our traveling in the late summer, so that's always a contribution -- we get out for weekend trips, camping, and then our big excursions.

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 12:36:43 PM »
I also just spent about $300 in gear for a friend's boat who takes me out a lot. I bought a prop I busted plus a spare and some prop tubes so we can change it in the water if need be. Also bought some life jackets and a spotlight. What really sucks is he broke his shoulder right after I got all that in an atv accident, so we'll likely miss most of the summer boating season anyways.

monkeytree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 12:23:21 PM »
We also seem to spend a lot more due to the nice weather just tempting us to spend more time traveling, exploring/visiting new places, eating out, etc.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 12:25:29 PM »
We eat out more because it's so hot in the house that I don't want to heat it up further. Of course we should be doing salads and sandwiches, but I still find us eating out more.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
This summer we're definitely spending more than usual.  Last summer we spent less than usual. 

We've had more visitors and have spent more on them.  We've also had some expensive DIY house/pool repairs.  And some general long-delayed already-planned expenses.  Plus an unexpected health cost.  It's adding up to a very spendy summer. 

Still saving/investing and not going debt for it at least.  There is that.  But the savings rate is sucking.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 12:37:54 PM »
Just had my new place painted and was chatting with the project manager about other projects I was thinking of doing. I was fishing for recommendations. He said to always hire for improvements in the winter because people don't do home improvements in the winter and you can get better prices and more availability.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 12:41:23 PM »
We eat out more because it's so hot in the house that I don't want to heat it up further. Of course we should be doing salads and sandwiches, but I still find us eating out more.

It can be cheaper to run the A/C (if you have that) for an hour then to go out to eat. Or cook once per week (what we do anyway).

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 12:50:11 PM »
My spending does usually go up in the summer (and spring) months.  I work March - November, so December to February I have more time, as MMM would say, freed up to practice badassity.  I actually bike MORE times/month in the winter (in Canada) usually than in the summer, lol.  For me it means just more time to save during those months, which confirms MMMs theory that retirees spend less than expected.  During those months i've got more time to make larger cheaper meals, more time to clean out the basement and sell old crap, more time to fix my own stuff and make careful spending decisions.  Even small things like being able to go grocery shopping early in the mornings during the week which means i'm more likely to get clearance/on sale items before they run out unlike when i go on a Saturday afternoon and all the marked down stuff is gone. 

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 03:39:35 PM »
We spend more, for sure. There are just way more activities that we're interested in doing available during the summer. Also concerts, movies, and travel. It balances out over the year, in any case.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 04:32:41 PM »

It can be cheaper to run the A/C (if you have that) for an hour then to go out to eat. Or cook once per week (what we do anyway).

Oh, certainly. I didn't say it was a wise decision :).

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »
We stick to our budget... so no.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 05:03:24 PM »
We live on a lake so people come over alot so we spend more on food and drink and boat gas. Also our house is super efficient in cold and temperate months but not so much when it's warm outside