Author Topic: Who do you bank with?  (Read 20908 times)

payitoff

Who do you bank with?
« on: March 11, 2014, 02:56:41 PM »
I'm at wits end with Bank of America and Chase. what else is there? preferably interest bearing checking account.

Badass by 41

• Stubble
    • Journal
Re: Who do you bank with?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:07:13 PM »
USAA, but you have to serve/have served in the armed forces, or be sponsored by a family who has.

Kipp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 03:08:22 PM »
Here is what I would recommend, LMCU if you don't mind online banking.  They offer 3% interest on upto 15,000 in your checking by logging in 4 times a month, making 10 debit card purchase, having direct deposit, and receiving an online statement.

Eligibility is still possible not living in West Michigan, below is the Eligibility requirements from their website, http://www.lmcu.org :

Eligibility
NOTE: Pop-up Blockers must be turned off or set to allow this site in order for the menu links above to function properly.

Thank you for choosing Lake Michigan Credit Union. To qualify for membership with us, you must meet and select one of the following membership criteria:

I live, work, worship, or attend post-secondary school in a county in the state of Michigan's lower peninsula
I am an immediate family member of a current Lake Michigan Credit Union Member
I will donate to the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Association of Michigan. Click here for donation form

So doing a small donation to ALS will qualify you for a 3% interest checking account.  Happy banking.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
Schwab bank for checking: 0.10% APY
Smartypig.com for savings: 1% APY

hello867

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 04:19:03 PM »
I like Ally

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »
Local bank I've been with since a baby for checking. It's free, the branch locations are super convenient for when I need to go in person, etc.

Capital One 360 for e-fund and other savings buckets, ever since it used to be ING, and I was getting ~6% APR.

hello867

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 05:36:51 PM »
I like Ally.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »
I bank with a local bank that has convenient branches and ATMs (also no exchange fees for ATM withdrawals/debit card transactions abroad).  I get .1% on my checking account.  But I am in the process of moving my emergency fund from my local bank to Ally because I was getting .3% on it my bank v. .87% at Ally.  I am keeping my checking account and some minimal savings in my bank though as I value the convenience and good service.  So far, it's been a good experience with Ally as far as opening of the account.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 06:58:09 PM »
Small local bank and Navy Federal Credit Union.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »
I'm at wits end with Bank of America and Chase. what else is there? preferably interest bearing checking account.
Navy Federal Credit Union (mainly for military and DoD civilians) and Pentagon Federal Credit Union (which anyone can join).

We have a mortgage with Bank of America, but we heartily regret it.

USAA, but you have to serve/have served in the armed forces, or be sponsored by a family who has.
To be excruciatingly technically correct, the membership requirement is "All who have served honorably, and their families."  That requirement applies to their property & casualty insurance and to banking services, but not to all of their products.  They'll happily sell you a mutual fund or a life insurance policy.

If someone in your immediate family is a USAA member then you can join too:
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_choose_usaa_main?wa_ref=pub_global_usaaandu

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 07:35:26 PM »
Look for a credit union, often get a higher interest rate ( you are one of the owners).  I bank locally, the national banks have too many bad stories!

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 07:38:40 PM »
Credit Union.  All the way.  I refuse to support a bank.  Even if you can somehow manage to not pay any fees - I just don't want to support them!  I like the credit union business model and prefer to put my business there.

Ambergris

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 08:13:13 PM »

+1, via my ex's family.  Also have Navy Federal and Penfed, acquired the same way.  One very useful thing to have come out of that marriage. :)~

USAA are unrelentingly excellent.  I have never had any problem with them that was not solved almost instantly.  No ridiculous fees or nasty "trip you up" policies.

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 08:26:43 PM »
Credit union. No fees or drama. For over 20 years now.

payitoff

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 10:37:32 PM »

To be excruciatingly technically correct, the membership requirement is "All who have served honorably, and their families."  That requirement applies to their property & casualty insurance and to banking services, but not to all of their products.  They'll happily sell you a mutual fund or a life insurance policy.

If someone in your immediate family is a USAA member then you can join too:
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_choose_usaa_main?wa_ref=pub_global_usaaandu
[/quote]

correct, we actually have our ROTH account with USAA but we cant open a checking account with them,  love  their personal service,

payitoff

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 10:40:22 PM »
hmm looks like its time to check out my local credit unions, anyone have banked with Alliant credit union? any feedbacks? i opened an account with them a long time ago i dont remember why but theyre from another state

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 10:47:38 PM »
You can also consider going online - ING/capitalone is great.

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 10:49:55 PM »
I use my local credit union.  I wouldn't go anywhere else.  The only annoying thing is that it doesn't sync with Mint.

payitoff

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 11:01:08 PM »
did you guys have any issues with ATM accessibility?

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 11:56:18 PM »
did you guys have any issues with ATM accessibility?

Credit unions are mostly part of a co-op network and share ATM machines. This means that you can usually find more ATMs than bigger banks.

I've used both a credit union as well as an online only bank (ING Direct) in the past and now bank with Wells Fargo. I stopped using the credit union because of poor website design, unreliable integration with Mint.com and slow customer service from the debit/credit card replacement department.

Online banks are great until you need in person service (cashier's checks, cash etc). Wells Fargo has been good for the past couple of years - their fees are clearly spelled out and can be avoided easily with a recurring transfer from Savings to Checkings and direct deposit.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 12:16:14 AM »
I primarily use Wells Fargo now. I moved most of my money over to them a few years ago when they were offering brokerage accounts with 100 free trades per year. My taxable brokerage account and two IRAs are grandfathered into that program. Since that deal is no longer available I would probably choose Vanguard for my brokerage needs if I were starting out today, but Wells Fargo is serving my needs quite nicely for the time being.

I also keep a small balance in a Chase checking account because they have a branch right next to my office and the checking account gets me slightly more cash back on my Chase Freedom card.

Dman214

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 05:21:02 AM »
I use the Fidelity Cash Management Account.  I don't often use cash but it's convenient that you can use any ATM and have the fees reimbursed.

ToeInTheWater

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 05:23:18 AM »
ING/CapOne online for emergency fund savings

Key Bank for everything else

b

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 06:43:39 AM »
Chuck Schwab is our main account - no fees, reimbursement for ATM fees, remote deposit of checks through smart phone app, no foreign transaction fees, and when you call them, there is a person on the other end pretty quick.

We have a few others that I would cut in a hot minute once we sell our rental condo for simplicity.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 06:50:00 AM »
Credit union for me - went through Suntrust, Wells Fargo, ING/Capital One, and a smaller localish bank but went with business practices over an extra .05% interest.  Great customer service, lots of ATMS, and nothing to complain about.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 07:14:42 AM »
Does nobody else use the Fidelity cash account as their checking account? It's basically a brokerage account, but it makes contributing to Fidelity IRAs and other investments super easy. They have an app for depositing checks with a photo (or you can mail in checks), free bill pay, and reimburse all ATM fees as well.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »
Does nobody else use the Fidelity cash account as their checking account? It's basically a brokerage account, but it makes contributing to Fidelity IRAs and other investments super easy. They have an app for depositing checks with a photo (or you can mail in checks), free bill pay, and reimburse all ATM fees as well.

I looked into it but it didn't seem like it had anything my current set up doesn't (and again, credit union over national company).   It's a contender when I have more of a stache to think about though.  Right now I'm still enjoying my 2% investment cash back :-)

halfmutt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014, 07:40:35 AM »
Another vote here for credit unions and small banks. 

Nancy

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 08:27:31 AM »
Chuck Schwab is our main account - no fees, reimbursement for ATM fees, remote deposit of checks through smart phone app, no foreign transaction fees, and when you call them, there is a person on the other end pretty quick.

We have a few others that I would cut in a hot minute once we sell our rental condo for simplicity.
+1 Charles Schwab has been fantastic. I can't believe I ever paid ATM fees.

GoldenStache

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 09:04:52 AM »
USAA... Love the $15 a month ATM refund, even though I have never been close to maxing that out.

huadpe

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 09:08:18 AM »
I use a local credit union (Bethpage FCU) for my day to day stuff.  I've been with them for 5 years and only ever been charged a $1 fee once for depositing a Canadian check (which given the fact that it requires manual processing I think they took a loss on).  For my savings account I keep it at Ally bank who have been pretty good about having competitive interest rates.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 09:46:34 AM »
Bank of Montreal, very pleased with their in person and online service.  Was with CIBC before and they were terrible.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 10:08:02 AM »
In a short while it will be BMO-Harris checking account I've had since college (I like having an account with a brick&mortar bank), and Ally for savings (+small amount in interest checking for ATM withdrawals). Been with Ally less than a month so I can't really comment. No problems so far.

I had a PNC Virtual Wallet for 3 years but that was an experiment that didn't pan out. I can see how it would be a great first bank account, but the model didn't work for me. I looked at credit unions but they weren't as appealing as online banks.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 10:14:46 AM »

I do and I love it.  I also keep a small amount in the local Credit Union for emergency situations but Fidelity is my main bank and broker.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »
Schwab. Love getting ATM fees reimbursed so I can just go to any ATM when I need cash.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 11:49:46 AM »
Here is what I would recommend, LMCU if you don't mind online banking.  They offer 3% interest on upto 15,000 in your checking by logging in 4 times a month, making 10 debit card purchase, having direct deposit, and receiving an online statement.

Eligibility is still possible not living in West Michigan, below is the Eligibility requirements from their website, http://www.lmcu.org :

Eligibility
NOTE: Pop-up Blockers must be turned off or set to allow this site in order for the menu links above to function properly.

Thank you for choosing Lake Michigan Credit Union. To qualify for membership with us, you must meet and select one of the following membership criteria:

I live, work, worship, or attend post-secondary school in a county in the state of Michigan's lower peninsula
I will donate to the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Association of Michigan. Click here for donation form

So doing a small donation to ALS will qualify you for a 3% interest checking account.  Happy banking.

Thank you for this info, I had no idea and it's local to us.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 12:14:19 PM »
I'll throw my hat in the ring and give a +1 to NFCU.  That being said, i'm looking at other options and this thread is great!  I just opened a Capital One 360 savings account to get $50 for free and i'll get 0.75 interest as well.

The LMCU checking account sounds pretty outstanding and i'm a big supporter of Muscular Dystrophy research so i'll happily make a donation to their chosen charity. 

Nerd Wallet is another source of recommended banks and it includes user reviews.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »
I like Ally.

I can use any ATM anywhere and get reimbursed for any fee the ATM charges. I get .87% on my savings and .25% on my checking. It meshes perfectly with Mint. Their support people speak great English (I think they are US only but not sure), are open 24/7, and every one of them is empowered to fix everything so you call one person and they don't pass you around saying "oh sorry, thats this other department, let me transfer you." They have a very good mobile app, including check depositing via cell phone photo.

But the most important reason I like them is that they support two-factor authentication for the website. This makes it so anytime someone (including you) try to login from a different computer, they send your phone a code and you have to enter that code before you will be allowed in. If a hacker were trying to log in to your account, without your cell phone to get the code, they wouldn't get very far.

I looked and looked and looked and the only other banks I could find that offered it were USAA (not eligible) BoA (shoot me now) or an HSBC business account. If anyone knows of another, please let me know.

plantingourpennies

• Bristles
  • None.
    • Money, Kittens, Happiness
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »
USAA... Love the $15 a month ATM refund, even though I have never been close to maxing that out.

Our credit union PSECU (Pennsylvania State Employee Credit Union) does the same thing.  And they gave us a cash rebate the past couple of years because the bank "earned too much" and needed to distribute the profits to the members.  Sweet!  FWIW, PSECU has a really broad list of who is eligible to become a member - most grads of school in PA (high school or college) or family of alum are eligible. 

We also use Wells Fargo, and have a money market account at Ally.  They each have their merits for us, and none charge us fees. 

moustache1979

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 06:31:30 PM »
Great Lakes CU.    Easy to qualify & good interest rates + low fees

Kipp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 06:08:06 AM »

Eligibility

Thank you for this info, I had no idea and it's local to us.

Yea, I have been using them for a few years.  When I started it was 4% (was 5% when I heard about it, but switched soon after).  Interest rates have been dropping, but they haven't changed as quickly as the interest rates.  I recommend them whenever I hear someone thinking about switching because of the interest.