Author Topic: Who's interested in buying from other Mustachians?  (Read 3969 times)

Kira

• Stubble
Who's interested in buying from other Mustachians?
« on: May 22, 2014, 04:12:02 PM »
So I have noticed as a long time lurker that a LOT of Mustachians have a side business in addition to their day jobs (or their not-jobs.) I'm starting up a new venture myself, for which I need to purchase a bunch of shelf-stable food items, and thought that it might be interesting to see whether there were any MMMers who were in that line of business.

Then I thought, maybe others would be interested in supporting other Mustachians' small businesses as well. I'd be more willing to buy what I need from someone directly than from a big store.

What are your thoughts on a Mustachian marketplace? This might take the form either of an Etsy-like site, where you can purchase directly, or perhaps a directory (which would be easier for services). Suggestions, feedback, and comments much welcomed!

Guardian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Who's interested in buying from other Mustachians?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 04:37:34 PM »
I really like this idea.

Also it'd be cool to buy used things from each other, as we all (probably) take better care of things, and are more trustworthy.

Mustacheplace.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »
I'm thinking of writing a book on car safety, and would be interested in this idea too, although you can't really eat a book.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 04:54:47 PM »
Mustachian marketplace

you mean like the Mustachian Marketplace?

make a directory thread and I'll sticky it

Kira

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 05:44:39 PM »
Some of the items there are along the lines of what I was thinking, but many are one-offs, roommates, etc. I don't know if a forum setup would be the cleanest way to display all the offers, and you'd have to contact each person directly to buy their jam or yarn or what have you.

Books are a great idea - I am sure there are a lot of self-pubbers on here!

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 08:31:28 AM »
I usually sell my stuff to nonmustachians as they tend to pay more.

Mustachians tend to go to the library, make their own stuff, fix things as they break and generally keep using the same tools forever. Bunch of frugal people...terrible customers.

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 11:25:27 AM »
I usually sell my stuff to nonmustachians as they tend to pay more.

Mustachians tend to go to the library, make their own stuff, fix things as they break and generally keep using the same tools forever. Bunch of frugal people...terrible customers.

Agree - we are do-it-ourselfers, if it's not broken, don't replace it, etc.  So I agree,  if you want to make a bit of a profit, flip your stuff elsewhere (Craigslist, Ebay, Etsy). 

Kira

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 07:15:20 PM »
Well, again, that wasn't going to be the focus - we already have a forum for that. This would be for Etsy type crafts, or services. Is there interest in that?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 07:52:19 AM »
If you made an Etsy collection or its equivalent on another site, I'm sure you could make a nice write-up of the project and then get it stickied so it always appears at the top of the relevant subforum. Is that more along the lines of what you mean?

Kira

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 07:53:16 PM »
Something like that, where any Mustachian could register and list their products.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 08:01:30 PM »
I really like this idea.

Also it'd be cool to buy used things from each other, as we all (probably) take better care of things, and are more trustworthy.

Mustacheplace.

I agree, I would assume most folks here buy for long- term value and also take care of their things since they don't want to replace unless it is necessary.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!