Author Topic: Which year did you graduate in and how much debt did you end up with, if any?  (Read 30610 times)

MoneyStuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I graduated with my BS in 2012 with $0 in debt.
And am working on my MBA now with $0 in debt.
I paid out of pocket for my BS and have tuition reimbursement from my company for my MBA.

eman resu

• Stubble
Me: 2001, BA - English, $10,000 in debt.

Wife: 2000, BA - Art
2001, New York teaching cert
2003 (or '04?), MA - Interdisciplinary studies (Translation: We don't have a post-grad Art program, but pay us and we'll give you a piece of paper so you can keep teaching in NY.)
$20,000-ish in debt. Went private to get the teaching cert as was only program in the area... contributed significantly to the debt total, that.

We had an "accidentally mustachian moment" about a year into my repayment. I wrote a check for $160.37 instead of $160.73 and the lender invoked their right to raise my rate as a delinquent payer on the $0.36.  We gathered our pennies and paid the bastards off. Sometimes life makes good decisions for you, lol.   

legacyoneup

• Stubble
I wrote a check for $160.37 instead of $160.73 and the lender invoked their right to raise my rate as a delinquent payer on the $0.36.  We gathered our pennies and paid the bastards off. Sometimes life makes good decisions for you, lol.

Scum.. I hope they didn't get to fleece you. God knows they tried. If you still had that debt, i'd start a collection on this blog and contribute $50 to it to help you pay those b*****s off.

"better the world with a song, better the world with a blow in the teeth of the wrong"

We had a lot of poetry in school. Hated it then... miss it now. A few lines did stick in my head.

benjamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
2012 - $27,000
Electrical Engineering

Paid off as of July 2013! :)

Sunnycyclist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
2007 - $25,000 student loans, $18,000 credit card debt in college

I shuffled the CCs around 0% offers for the last 5 years. I only just had my hair-on-fire epiphany last month when I found MMM!

I will pay off CCs in 12 months. Student loans in the 2 years after that.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
Graduated law school in 1994, with about $80K in student loan debt (had no undergrad debt thanks to an academic scholarship and part-time work).  Still have about $26K, which I'm on schedule to pay off in the next 5 years, and hoping to be FI about 3 years after that.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
2008 - around $8000. 

My parents wanted me to have a little skin in the game, so they insisted that I take out a small loan each year to cover some.  I could have knocked them out ages ago, but in my world pre-MMM making more than minimum payments just wasn't a thing I did.  I'm taking a divide an conquer approach and paying down the debt while also starting to invest, but my loans and my husbands should be gone soon.

davo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
2007 Undergraduate: $40,000 total
2009 Masters: $60,000 total

I was a crazy over-spender. I would max out credit cards, then take out student loans to pay them off, then do that again. One year after graduating undergrad, I changed my ways, and paid off all of my other debt. Now I am working on the student loan debt.

Trip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
B.A. May 2012 - $65,000

I wish I would have known the things I know now before I went to college and not gotten myself into this hole.  On the bright side though, I'm down to $54,000 in debt and have gone from < $100 in cash and investments to about $15,000.

adam

• Bristles
I graduated college in 2003 with $18k in student loans and $12k in credit card debt.  I made a conscious decision to switch schools after my freshman year to save a lot of money, and that combined with some help from dad kept my loans to a little more than half of the cost of my education.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
Finished my BA in 2006, my first master's in 2008 and my second master's in 2011.

No debt, education in Holland is cheap compared to the US: 2000-2500 per year (2 semesters). We don't pay per course or per credit. We just pay a fixed tuition fee and we can take as many courses as we like.

My degrees line up in years almost exactly with yours. However, since I live in the USA my education cost me a lot. Undergrad = $20,000, first grad degree = free, second grad degree= $30,000.

Starting with a total around $50,000 I am now down to $4,500 thanks to finding resources like MMM!

Mayan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
BS 2008 - $0

DVM 2012 - $28,173

I was fortunate that my parents had saved enough to pay for an in-state degree, but I had a full scholarship for undergrad.  I also graduated a year early and the university applied my last year of undergrad scholarship money towards the first year of vet school.  The money my parents had saved went a long way towards covering tuition and living expenses in vet school, and I was able to take only subsidized federal loans for the remainder.  It was still a lot of money to pay back, but much, much better than the ~$140,000 average student loan debt for my profession

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
For me+Mrs. RootofGood:

Undergrad: $25k ish
Juris Doctor: another $110kish
Part of a Masters - 9k??  no clue really

Right now we owe a combined ~$103,000 or so. 

NWGirl2004

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
1997 - BA - $0 I paid for my undergrad through scholarships and working.  My parents helped by paying for plane tickets twice a year (WA to OH) and for odd phone bills.  Though they earned little and I never expected them to pay, I did receive half tuition three years and full tuition paid my senior year due to a sister school agreement, so yeah, they really did help.

2003 - MLIS - $4-6K, borrowed from my sister and parents to finish my master's and paid them back the next year

My husband graduated in 2000 with a BA and had about $15K in debt when we married in 2004.  We paid it off a little over a year later.  He just started a master's program, and it should be paid for with his GI benefits, if the government decides to start functioning again. 

MIM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
2010: $0.00 - My parents and I worked our asses off over the 48 months of my 4-year college payment plan.

snuggler

• Stubble
I graduated in 2009, with a total debt of ~$210,000 (including a car loan).

I have a BS, MA, and JD, but the MA was almost free. I worked part-time all through school, went to a great public school for undergrad, had some assistance from my parents in undergrad, and had merit scholarships throughout undergrad and graduate school, but the JD really added to the balance. The tuition increase while I was in law school was absurd.

I still consider it worth it, because the law school you went to can really affect your career. It certainly has affected mine.

I'm down to ~$40k in debt, which is being paid back on a 25-year term because it is all sub 2.3%. I just celebrated my net worth exceeding $100,000 this past Friday, and am saving ~75% of my takehome pay. I'm pretty happy with how things are going, and am pleased with the value of my degrees, even if they seem super expensive at first glance.

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Badass Mustachian Twins!
2012 - $55k

ScienceRules

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
ChemE undergrad 2010 - $0 (scholarship that covered tuition, books, housing, and some food, the rest my parents paid for)
Environmental Eng master's 2012 - $0 (I'm a RA)
Currently doing my PhD and that will be $0 (I'm still a RA)

Marigold

Me: 40k for an undergraduate degree and a full scholarship to my master's degree.

Husband: Parents paid his way.

In three years, I've paid off half my debt and hoping to accelerate it.

I have an RESP for my daughter and plan on making sure she doesn't go into debt for school.

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
2010 with no debt. I had enough left over money (mostly grants from my last year) for my girlfriend and I to go backpacking in Costa Rica and Nicaragua for a month after I graduated! Frugality kicks ass!

Silvie

• Stubble
Finished my BA in 2006, my first master's in 2008 and my second master's in 2011.

No debt, education in Holland is cheap compared to the US: 2000-2500 per year (2 semesters). We don't pay per course or per credit. We just pay a fixed tuition fee and we can take as many courses as we like.

My degrees line up in years almost exactly with yours. However, since I live in the USA my education cost me a lot. Undergrad = $20,000, first grad degree = free, second grad degree= $30,000.

Starting with a total around $50,000 I am now down to $4,500 thanks to finding resources like MMM!

Good for you! It's a shame education is so expensive. I don't think it needs to be...

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
Maths honours + education degree = $23,000 (Australian).

Graduate from teaching on about a week :-P

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
Me: 2001 $30k B.arch & M.arch
Hubs: 1996 $0 (gi bill)
 & 2005 $120k JD

Total: $150k
Now: $88k