Author Topic: Which tablet and where to buy  (Read 6279 times)

Breaker

• Stubble
Which tablet and where to buy
« on: December 02, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »
Hi,

I think I need a new tablet.  I have a Nook HD, but it is acting up.  So, I am guessing I will need to replace it.  I open to suggestions as to what Tablet and where I can reliably purchase a used one.

My use is very casual, mostly just to check things out on Web when I am at home.  Sometimes I use it for reading.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
Re: Which tablet and where to buy
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 12:57:31 PM »
Can the Nook be "wiped clean" to restore performance? 

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »
If you want it to serve as an e-reader as well to check websites on the go, I recommend the Kindle Fire. It's cheap and durable, and you can use Overdrive to check ebooks out of the library and have them delivered directly to the device.

I'm using an original Fire from November 2010, 8 GB, no HD. It's a workhorse.

orbix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 01:08:47 PM »
I'll put in a vote for the Nexus 7, specifically the 2013 edition. Inexpensive, nice, easy to find on Craigslist for cheap. Kinda hard to go wrong there.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »
You probably already have a smartphone or a laptop. Just use what you probably already have and check out books from the library for reading.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 01:22:47 PM »
You probably already have a smartphone or a laptop. Just use what you probably already have and check out books from the library for reading.

I'm going to agree with this.  My iPad was stolen 3 months ago and I told myself I was going to wait 30 days before deciding what to replace it with.  It's now closing in on 90 days and I've lost any urge to replace it at all.  Plus my wife says I'm more attentive because my head is not constantly bowed at the altar of iPad.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 01:43:02 PM »

I'm going to agree with this.  My iPad was stolen 3 months ago and I told myself I was going to wait 30 days before deciding what to replace it with.  It's now closing in on 90 days and I've lost any urge to replace it at all.  Plus my wife says I'm more attentive because my head is not constantly bowed at the altar of iPad.

I heard someone describe it like this (although this analogy can only be taken so far):

Internet-enabled devices are like vehicles. There are lots of different kinds in all shapes and sizes, but all the do same job of getting from A to B. Smartphones are motorcycles, cool and stylish. Laptops are your typical passenger vehicle. Desktops are SUVs and tablets are that shiny new nice car you always wanted. You could have one of each kind, but you can only use one at a time anyway. Just get the one that's right for you.

In your case, Breaker, you claim to be a light user. Don't get a tablet if you don't have to.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 02:30:12 PM »
I have, and loved, a Nexus 7 (2013) but do find that now that I have a smartphone I don't use it at all.  FWIW.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »
I must admit: the only tablet I've used was iPad... and the other linux-based OS's probably don't follow what I'm about to say...

I got an Ipad 1 as a gift and it seriously soured me on the whole tablet culture.  It's just not as versatile as a laptop.  And it had such planned obsolescence that it just drives me crazy.  It was released in 2010.  The last update to it was 5.1.1 (2012).  That's 2 freaking years of support for a shiny toy.  Sure it still mostly works... but even basic web pages of today will crash it's awful browser and apps are becoming fewer and farer between.  Want to run something else on it?  Good luck.

Compare this to the laptop I bought in 2006.  Still working like a champ.  Still has supported OS.  Yes, it's starting to get a little slow, but... I'm 8 years in and it will probably run a while longer.

Breaker

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 03:10:51 PM »
I do NOT have a smart phone.  For me, I'm more likely to lose a phone or have it stolen than a tablet.  The Nook stays home unless I'm on a trip.  Then I use it for reading.

So far 2 votes for Nexus 7.  Bogart, want to sell me your Nexus cheap?

I will check on the Nook to see if there is an easy cheap repair.  It just stopped working last night, battery was just recharged the day  before.  I left it on, no choice, as it wasn't responding.  I tried to turn it on this am and it said dead battery.  It is charging now so I will see what happens.

Have any of you bought used Tablets from EBay or Craig's List? 

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 04:51:53 PM »
So far 2 votes for Nexus 7.  Bogart, want to sell me your Nexus cheap?

I fear my very effective frugal strategy was persuading my work to buy the tablet for me ;) .  I haven't tried the used route, but you might (also) shop holiday deals between now and ... the holidays.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »
iPad Air for $299 if you're near a Microcenter

Definitely a good deal. And, you won't have to worry about upgrading it for a LONG time.

I used to jump from tablet to tablet but the Air will be the last one I buy for a long time.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/424317/iPad_Air_16GB_Wi-Fi_Silver

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 07:28:56 PM »
You don't need a tablet!

But if you want to buy one, there's a reason the industry is basically "ipad versus bit players." The nexus 7 is a good device, I admit. The rest... maybe you can cherry pick a few good ones. Or just get an ipad, they're excellent.

Or don't get a toy.

orbix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 12:36:03 AM »
IHave any of you bought used Tablets from EBay or Craig's List?

Only way to do it- the depreciation is a huge hit, and there's always a supply of people that either upgraded to a newer, flashier version or couldn't actually afford the thing they bought.

I find that there's really only one thing I use a tablet for that honestly can't be done with a smartphone or laptop, and that's sheet music. I play a lot of jazz, and I'll be damned if I'm going to haul around 100lbs of fakebooks and a stand light when I can load all of them on a single, inexpensive tablet that will let me actually find the music for a given tune in the approximately 7 seconds between when it gets called out and we start playing.

Ok, it's probably more like 30 seconds, but still, definitely not enough time to find a multi-book index, find the right book, find the right page, and be ready to play. :)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 08:22:12 AM »

I find that there's really only one thing I use a tablet for that honestly can't be done with a smartphone or laptop, and that's sheet music.

One other thing I'd say is perfect is: Instrument approach plates. 

I'm anti-tablet... and I gave up flying years ago to save money...  But in those days you had several hundred pages of paper approach plates you would have to manually replace in a ring binder.  Updates came out every 45 days.  If you fly in more than one region, multiply this by number of regions you fly in. 

Tablets totally revamped this.