Author Topic: Which Sprint MVNO  (Read 2821 times)

Mirwen

• Stubble
Which Sprint MVNO
« on: July 03, 2015, 10:35:06 PM »
I currently do not have a personal cell phone. (I'm a SAHM so I use the VOIP phone or borrow my husband's phone.)  I'm starting a new tech job in a few weeks and I can use a cell to coordinate carpooling.  I was given someone's old Sprint Samsung Galaxy SII which I think will help keep me from appearing to be a luddite as well.  I wouldn't care, except that it is an IT position.

I want to get service for the phone, but I'm an extremely light user.  My husbands phone is currently under the Airvoice wireless $10 plan and I think we roll over about $9.50 a month each month.  I'm not familiar with the Sprint MVNOs.  I would like access to talk, text, and (preferrably) data on a pay per use basis since I might use my phone once or twice a week.  Is there a Sprint MVNO plan that is the equivalent of the Airvoice $10 plan? 

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
Re: Which Sprint MVNO
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 12:19:18 AM »
Would Ting work for your needs?

Daley's guide suggests Ecomobile, that looks like it could work.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 12:22:53 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Mirwen

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 12:46:26 AM »
Ting said BYOD is in beta.  I'm not sure if that means I can or can't use my device.  EcoMobile Pay as you go sounds perfect for me.  I'll check with them first.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I think I looked at 15 different carriers and started getting confused and frustrated.  It really helps to narrow down to two or three.  Thank you.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 10:04:02 PM »
Ting doesn't have any problems activating BYO(S)D, and depending on your T-Mobile coverage and given your husband's usage on Airvoice, it might be worth considering a switch if you're wanting a bit of flexibility with heavier usage and if you want to manage both phones under the same account despite being on both CDMA and GSM.

That said, there's cheaper for both of you at the levels you're speaking about than Airvoice's $10/month plan and Ecomobile, and that goes for Ting, too.

At the levels you're talking about for your husband, it might be better to straight up switch to Airvoice's PAYGO, H2O Wireless PAYGO, or even Puretalk USA's Simple 80 plan (all AT&T) or P'tel Real PayGo (T-Mobile), all of which should get him down to at least $5/month or lower. As for yourself if you're expecting similar usage, look into RingPlus and something like their newer Joy plan. I'm not completely over the moon about some of RingPlus' legal agreements (mostly the privacy stuff, and it is a bit less invasive than FreedomPop), but I've also seen far worse legal agreements in general in the MVNO industry than theirs. There's also Kajeet on the Sprint end, but RingPlus is cheaper. With a little re-arrangement, the two of you could probably get both lines for less than what you're spending now just for him.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:07:45 PM by I.P. Daley »

Mirwen

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 12:56:11 PM »
Ecomobile ended up being perfect for my needs.  The pay as you go option includes data access.  All of the top up options extend service 30 days from the time of addition including a $5 option.  There is an auto renew service, which allows you to roll over your unused balance.  I was able to set up everything through the ecomobile website without needing to buy a card or pay an activation fee.  If the Sprint coverage is good in my area (it should be, but I've lived in a house that was in a dead spot before), then I will be switching my husband over to the same service provider the next time he needs a new phone.

The only downside is they didn't let me choose my phone number, but I'm happy with what I received anyway.  I'm pretty amazed I can get cell phone service for $5 per month.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!