Author Topic: which miter saw to get?  (Read 8195 times)

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
which miter saw to get?
« on: May 12, 2016, 08:03:12 AM »
Hi there!

I am in a little bit of a conundrum here regarding which miter saw to get... maybe someone could help me out here weighing some pros and cons.

I am no expert, more of a weekend warrior DIYer.

Currently I have a couple options I am thinking:

- Kobalt 10 inch sliding compound miter saw - 199 USD at Lowes (I can get this one for 140 USD out of pocket due to a combo of gift cards that I bought for 20% discount and coupons)

- Hitachi 12 inch sliding compound miter saw + miter saw stand at Lowes - 430 USD ( however through the same as above I can get it out of pocket for 290 USD ... and it comes with a Hitachi miter saw stand)

- Dewalt dws 709 12 inch compound sliding miter saw - 399 at Lowes (again out of pocket I can get it for 275 USD)

Price wise, of course the Kobalt is good. However I value like the iPhone, resale price. I believe both Hitachi and Dewalt, if I were to use it for a few years and happen to resell them at a later date, they would retain their value more.

However, that Hitachi is HUGE.

Con of the Dewalt that I have seen there are a lot of complaints, even though its a 12 inch saw, it can only do vertical cuts up to 4.5 inches.

Cons for a 12 incher as well is saws are much pricier and the inability of interchanging saws with table saws for example since these mostly use 10" saws.

I have a few projects on hand for this summer such as building a deck in my house and also a pergola and a 40-50 foot fence.

With this in mind ... what would you guys think would be the better/wiser choise? Any input is appreciated!

thanks

-

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
Re: which miter saw to get?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:35:08 AM »
I have a dewalt 12" compound miter saw (not sliding).  I got it for $150 or so on Craigslist.

Since good sharp blades are pretty valuable, and inspecting/testing them might not be easy/feasible when buying used, buying new especially with a coupon isn't the worst option.

I wouldn't let table saw compatibility factor into your decision a whole lot.  You're obviously not going to have 2 saws and 1 blade, rotating based on what station you're using.  That'd just be silly and time consuming.  You could potentially transfer your half-dulled tablesaw blades to your miter saw, as there is less danger in chopping with a dulled blade than trying to rip thick stock with a dull blade - but shit, who wants to do anything with a dull blade?

I'd go for a 12", probably dewalt.  Dewalt is pretty high quality, not sure about Hitachi.  I think they're like a step below Makita right? No idea.  I most just know that I'm slowly becoming addicted to the green empire of festool.  But you'd have to be much more than a weekend warrior to justify dropping ~2 grand on a kapex with a dust extractor. 

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 10:27:40 AM »
I have a Dewalt 12" compound sliding miter saw and I have no complaints. The 12" comes in handy for cutting crown moulding and sometimes will hire myself out for trimwork and hardwood floor installation so the larger saw is worth the cost for me.

For general around the house use I would go with the Kobalt, Ryobi, or Ridgid 10" model. They are cheaper, lighter to carry and easier to store. As well the blades are much cheaper.

With a sliding model you will be able to cut through most anything. Wide planks can be cut by beveling the saw.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 10:29:32 AM »
Hi there!

I am in a little bit of a conundrum here regarding which miter saw to get... maybe someone could help me out here weighing some pros and cons.

I have a few projects on hand for this summer such as building a deck in my house and also a pergola and a 40-50 foot fence.

With this in mind ... what would you guys think would be the better/wiser choise? Any input is appreciated!

thanks

Check out Harbor Freight www.harborfreight.com  One buys their tools for the job, not for a lifetime.

zarfus

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 11:06:01 AM »
Hi there!

thanks

Check out Harbor Freight www.harborfreight.com  One buys their tools for the job, not for a lifetime.

This. Their dual-compound 12" miter is quite nice for the price. Cuts through 4x4s, too!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 11:17:33 AM »
No harbour freights near me...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 11:24:25 AM »
OP - I'm a bit confused by your post. 
You mention resale value being important to you, but also say you are a weekend DIY and have several projects for the summer. 
There's two directions you can take here - the BIFL approach or the "buy it for the job" approach.  Ask yourself how likely you are to sell the saw after this summer.

As for recommendations - I personally would lean towards a 10" sliding saw.  The ability to cut wider boards (e.g. 1x10" for shelving) is worth it to me.  As another poster mentioned, 10" blades are much cheaper than 12", and from what I'm told they have less 'wobble' in the budget-saw category than their 12" versions.

The WEN or the ones offered by Harbor Freight are fine if just want to make a few dozen cuts on occasion, if you're not cutting a lot of thick super hard wood (e.g. building a large deck out of Ipo) and are ok with your tolerances being +/- ~1/16"  You buy these because they are cheap and "good enough" to get basic projects done.
A step up gets you cuts that are bit more precise and a motor that can saw through thick hardwoods.  Rigid, Dewalt, Bosch and Makitia's sliding saws all fit into this categor (and there are others too).  There are subtle differenecs between models but any of them will let you build a pergola and a deck.  You can resell these for maybe hafl what you paid, but the irony here is that normally people buy these because they want a saw that will last many years and through many projects.

For general around the house use I would go with the Kobalt, Ryobi, or Ridgid 10" model. They are cheaper, lighter to carry and easier to store. As well the blades are much cheaper.

+1

BTW - Harbor Freight ships.  That's the only way I've gotten most of their stuff.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 11:26:48 AM »
Lowes now carries Metabo tools in some of their stores.  I'm personally a BIFL guy, so I'm willing to pay a bit more for tools that will last a long, long time.  Buy the Metabo 12 inch double bevel miter saw and you'll be happy as a pig in sh*t and your kids will still be using it when you're dead and gone.

DeWalt's aren't bad either, but I'd suggest buying a laser attachment if the saw doesn't come with one to ensure accurate cuts.  Also, ditch the stock blade and go for a nice Diablo or Black Widow blade.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 11:55:19 AM »
OP - I'm a bit confused by your post. 
You mention resale value being important to you, but also say you are a weekend DIY and have several projects for the summer. 
There's two directions you can take here - the BIFL approach or the "buy it for the job" approach.  Ask yourself how likely you are to sell the saw after this summer.

As for recommendations - I personally would lean towards a 10" sliding saw.  The ability to cut wider boards (e.g. 1x10" for shelving) is worth it to me.  As another poster mentioned, 10" blades are much cheaper than 12", and from what I'm told they have less 'wobble' in the budget-saw category than their 12" versions.

The WEN or the ones offered by Harbor Freight are fine if just want to make a few dozen cuts on occasion, if you're not cutting a lot of thick super hard wood (e.g. building a large deck out of Ipo) and are ok with your tolerances being +/- ~1/16"  You buy these because they are cheap and "good enough" to get basic projects done.
A step up gets you cuts that are bit more precise and a motor that can saw through thick hardwoods.  Rigid, Dewalt, Bosch and Makitia's sliding saws all fit into this categor (and there are others too).  There are subtle differenecs between models but any of them will let you build a pergola and a deck.  You can resell these for maybe hafl what you paid, but the irony here is that normally people buy these because they want a saw that will last many years and through many projects.

+1

BTW - Harbor Freight ships.  That's the only way I've gotten most of their stuff.

well not exactly after summer... but I want something that if I were to resell 2 years down the line or 3-4 years where its just sitting in my basement collecting dust, I would get more resale than others.

Like I said, most things I do around the house are crown moulding, fencing ... some couches for the backyard... a deck that is to come this summer along with a pergola and during winter time start our basement in the house.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 12:19:22 PM »
No harbour freights near me...

On line.  They ship.  Get their mailer.  They frequently have a 20% off coupon.  I bought a 12" sliding double compound miter saw for about $140 (with coupon).  Even has a "laser" light.

Again, not a "last for ever" tool but generally substantially less expensive.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 12:43:16 PM »

well not exactly after summer... but I want something that if I were to resell 2 years down the line or 3-4 years where its just sitting in my basement collecting dust, I would get more resale than others.

Like I said, most things I do around the house are crown moulding, fencing ... some couches for the backyard... a deck that is to come this summer along with a pergola and during winter time start our basement in the house.

Ok - well in that case it's probably a coin-flip.  Harbor Freight will have the lowest price and will do the jobs you want ok, but you won't get nearly as much back in resale.  Something like a Rigid or DeWalt bought on sale from a big-box sale will be ~$150 more upfront, but you'll probably recoup most of that upon resale in a few years.  From what I've seen on craiglist you can sell a DeWalt or Rigid for about 50% of the new price pretty easily.  Better quality saw too.

Whatever you do, buy a decent saw blade and replace the one that comes with the saw.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 03:13:01 PM »
I put your question to my husband, an experienced carpenter/cabinet designer and builder.  He also tends to start talking very quickly when asked a question, so these thoughts and ideas will be a little scrambled as I took notes, but he's very knowledgeable.  Here goes, in no particular order:

Use 6 x 6 for pergolas.  For the fence, put posts in, put concrete, then using a skill saw and cut them off at the level you want because grade of ground varies. 

Need skill saw because you're not cutting miters, all of your cuts will be straight, 90 degree cuts.  Unless you're going to be doing inlay work, the skill saw is what you need.  He says you probably already have one.

If you do have to cut all of your fence posts at the same height, pull a string and mark posts in between and cut them off at the string line.

TV shows love miter boxes because actors might hurt themselves with a skill saw.

(As he's talking, I remember using a skill saw years ago - it's more work than a miter saw, LOL.)

If you must get a miter box, don't get a saw with a blade more than 10" in diameter, because they are prohibitively expensive.  Recommends Rigid brand if you must have a miter box.  Good quality, but this a tool you hang onto, not sell.  Does not need to be sliding, just a regular. 

Then he got up and walked away, so that's all I got!

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 04:59:49 PM »
I put your question to my husband, an experienced carpenter/cabinet designer and builder.  He also tends to start talking very quickly when asked a question, so these thoughts and ideas will be a little scrambled as I took notes, but he's very knowledgeable.  Here goes, in no particular order:

Use 6 x 6 for pergolas.  For the fence, put posts in, put concrete, then using a skill saw and cut them off at the level you want because grade of ground varies. 

Need skill saw because you're not cutting miters, all of your cuts will be straight, 90 degree cuts.  Unless you're going to be doing inlay work, the skill saw is what you need.  He says you probably already have one.

If you do have to cut all of your fence posts at the same height, pull a string and mark posts in between and cut them off at the string line.

TV shows love miter boxes because actors might hurt themselves with a skill saw.

(As he's talking, I remember using a skill saw years ago - it's more work than a miter saw, LOL.)

If you must get a miter box, don't get a saw with a blade more than 10" in diameter, because they are prohibitively expensive.  Recommends Rigid brand if you must have a miter box.  Good quality, but this a tool you hang onto, not sell.  Does not need to be sliding, just a regular. 

Then he got up and walked away, so that's all I got!

thanks for the tips on the fence... however the majority of the fence is already done :)

some pics:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:06:06 PM by MrSal »

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 08:46:58 AM »
What a lovely place.  Hopefully you have better summer weather in which to enjoy it than we have here in Texas. :)

mjones1234

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 08:14:47 PM »
I hste to admit it because most of my tools are Milwaukee, but i did buy a Harbor Freight mitre saw years ago and built a 2200 foot lake cabin using it. I'm waiting for it to fail, but it just keeps plugging along and I abuse the heck out of it. It never failed me. I think it was $125.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!