Author Topic: Which Job Would You Take?  (Read 3210 times)

jax8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Which Job Would You Take?
« on: September 13, 2017, 01:37:17 PM »
Want to help me decide which job to accept?  Here's the breakdown:

JOB A - "CORPORATE OFFICE ADMIN"
- $13.75 per hour
- average 5 hours of overtime each week (at $20.62 per hour) by working through lunch breaks
- $300 per month bonus for NOT taking the company's health insurance

TOTAL COMPENSATION - $39,000 per year / 4% company match 401K / 2 weeks PTO / 6 mile commute

JOB B - "COLLEGE CAMPUS ADMIN"
- $16.00 per hour, no overtime

TOTAL COMPENSATION - $33,280 per year / 5% bonus put in 403B whether you add money or not, plus an additional 6% match on anything you do contribute / 3 weeks vacation, 2 days PTO, 12 sick days / FREE COLLEGE TUITION for 2 kids if they attend school OR 50% TUITION AT ANY ACCREDITED SCHOOL child wants to go to / 24 mile commute

1. Both jobs require a car (I handle the kid drop offs) so biking or taking a bus is out.
2. I currently work at the CORPORATE OFFICE and honestly, I'm burned out. I'm not sure how many 10 hour days I have left in me. I frequently feel tempted to walk out.
3. COLLEGE JOB will be easier - interviewer kept stressing that it's not as "glamourous" as my current job. That sounds wonderful.
4. CORPORATE OFFICE feels like the company is in transition and will be or has been sold. Lots of consultants in and out, laid-back attitude change of owner/CEO, mid-managers are leaving and aren't being replaced.  I smell a sale and wonder if my job will be here in 2018.
5. I have ZERO saved for kid's college and have two girls, ages 11 and 7.
6. Husband makes $64,000 per year and carries the family health insurance.

Jeferson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Which Job Would You Take?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »
Hi jax8,
The difference between what you get from either of these jobs doesn't seem that significant. In which one of these jobs do you see your future? There probably isn't chance to get a promotion in your current job or a raise since the upcoming changes, am I correct? If so, and the second job seems less stressful, with the same money, I would consider it (if it's a sure thing).

405programmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 04:02:26 PM »
I would definitely go with job B! It's a little less money sure but more time away from the office (vacation and PTO) and the chance to take lunches are a big perk. I worked a job for 11 months where the culture was to skip lunch and work 7 to 7 and it was easily the worst job I've ever had. That and the very toxic leadership is why I could only stand it for 11 months. Plus provided you can still pay your bills with a lower paying job, don't stay somewhere you're truly miserable.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 05:43:59 PM »
I feel like Job B is almost guaranteed to be better work environment. I would probably go that route in her shoes.

crispy

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:12:31 PM »
I would probably go with B if the commute isn't too stressful. The perks seem a lot better.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 06:07:49 AM »
Job B. The pay difference is more than made up for by the better benefits, better work environment and more stability.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 06:18:35 AM »
Job B.  I value not having to work overtime - the lunch break is sacred!  Plus you'll easily make up the difference with the much more generous 403b matching.  Add to that the better work environment, less stress, more vacation time, and you have a winner.  The difference in commute isn't enough to counter that many advantages, to me.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 07:27:14 AM »
b

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 08:05:31 AM »
It does seem from what you listed as your stressors and the instability of the office environment you are at that Job B would be the one with less risk and more upside potential.  Having tried to break into the college environment from outside that circle I also have experience with how challenging that can be.  Some schools are ticked pink to get someone with industry experience because they know they will be a star in the slower paced college work environment.  With the possibility of Job A of a sale, heavier hours which irritate you and other things, it seems like Job B. is the way to go.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 08:13:00 AM »
By my math:

Job A = ($13.75 x 40 hours + $20.62 x 5 overtime hours) x 52 weeks + 4% 401k match + $300 insurance rebate x 12 months = $38,919.65

Job B = $16 x 40 hours x 52 weeks + 5% default 403b contribution + 6% 403b match = $36,940.80

So the gap is actually less than what you wrote, and Job B has better benefits now, and potentially in the future in the form of tuition breaks.

Do remember that tuition is not the whole cost of college since fees, room/board, and books are not included and there has been a trend to increase fees, but not tuition so they could say they did not increase tuition.

My wife works in academia, and I would definitely recommend it.

Edit: You might also take a closer look at your husband's health insurance plan and what the college offers. I've seen some pretty great health insurance options offered in higher ed.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:14:49 AM by terran »

alice76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 10:11:23 AM »
B. For all above, plus personal experience. My husband has a "less glamorous" PT job at a world class university. Our insurance absolutely rocks and saves us over a thousand dollars each month. Even if you get insurance through your husband, look into the university perks. Actually, scour the employee handbook, because you and your husband are probably eligible for tuition perks, as well as your kids. Also, there are random benefits. For example, when my husband turned 40, they put a large lump sum into his 403(b), and upped the percentage they put in each paycheck with no match necessary. Throw in possible gym membership, museum access, and you can seriously make the perks work for you.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »
Want to help me decide which job to accept?  Here's the breakdown:

JOB B - "COLLEGE CAMPUS ADMIN"
- $16.00 per hour, no overtime

TOTAL COMPENSATION - $33,280 per year / 5% bonus put in 403B whether you add money or not, plus an additional 6% match on anything you do contribute / 3 weeks vacation, 2 days PTO, 12 sick days / FREE COLLEGE TUITION for 2 kids if they attend school OR 50% TUITION AT ANY ACCREDITED SCHOOL child wants to go to / 24 mile commute

2. I currently work at the CORPORATE OFFICE and honestly, I'm burned out. I'm not sure how many 10 hour days I have left in me. I frequently feel tempted to walk out.
4. CORPORATE OFFICE feels like the company is in transition and will be or has been sold. Lots of consultants in and out, laid-back attitude change of owner/CEO, mid-managers are leaving and aren't being replaced.  I smell a sale and wonder if my job will be here in 2018.
5. I have ZERO saved for kid's college and have two girls, ages 11 and 7.

Job b!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!