Author Topic: Which job would end up being more profitable?  (Read 4071 times)

precrime3

• Stubble
  • Getting out of the rat race before I'm in it.
Which job would end up being more profitable?
« on: May 12, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
If you've been following my thread, linked here , you know that I stated I would be working with a moving company that pays $12-$14. They have not yet responded and it's been a couple days so I decided I should look elsewhere in the meantime.

So these are my potential job offerings I'm looking at:

1. Numerous fast food jobs less than 3 miles from my house
  • 3 miles or less from my house
  • Paying at or below min. wage
  • Inconsistent hours
2. Craigslist Job #1: Moving boxes (different one)!
  • Pay is $12-$15 hour with "tips and incentive bonuses"
  • Distance is 6.6 miles away from my house, so still bikeable, and not too expensive via car either.
3. Craigslist Job #2 : Working with a E-commerce family business
  • $10 an hour, minimum/guaranteed (depends on how you look at it!) 16 hours a week. No stated cap.
  • No exact location, but is in the same city as the second job, so assuming not too far away either.

I'll add more as I see more potential jobs. Also, I'm basically guaranteed a job at one of the fast food restaurants, as they are SEVERELY understaffed and I know many of the people working at each so I'll be able to fall back on one of these places.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:40:09 PM by precrime3 »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Which job would end up being more profitable?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 08:49:04 PM »
Potentially none of them could be profitable, because these types of jobs are inconsiderate when it comes to hours. You're lucky if you get a schedule ten days before, and they can cut your hours at any time. Any interest in an associates degree, apprenticeships? What's your 5-10 year plan?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 10:00:37 PM »
On the other hand,  many fast food restaurants don't see many great new hires, and your schedule can suddenly shift to more hours as manager trust / likes you.

They also have promote from within policies, and becoming night manager or lead shift person is very possible, quite quickly.   

A large company may have educational tuition reimbursement too, so ask about that, if it is of interest.  You might need evening business classes to break out of shift / night manager into a higher money making role, eventually.

precrime3

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 06:42:35 AM »
Potentially none of them could be profitable, because these types of jobs are inconsiderate when it comes to hours. You're lucky if you get a schedule ten days before, and they can cut your hours at any time. Any interest in an associates degree, apprenticeships? What's your 5-10 year plan?

There has been , but haven't found any suitable apprenticeships/ internships.
5-10 year plan: graduate college, find a job preferably in my major, and start stashing :)

On the other hand,  many fast food restaurants don't see many great new hires, and your schedule can suddenly shift to more hours as manager trust / likes you.

They also have promote from within policies, and becoming night manager or lead shift person is very possible, quite quickly.   

A large company may have educational tuition reimbursement too, so ask about that, if it is of interest.  You might need evening business classes to break out of shift / night manager into a higher money making role, eventually.

Gotcha, I will keep this in my mind. I just got struck with a entrepreneurial bolt of lightning, see if it will pan out.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 08:19:07 AM »
What's your major? In the long run it will be more profitable to do internships in your major, even if you have to work for free for a few months. If you have fast food work on your resume future employers are going to take you less seriously. You want to get experience in your major. Yoy might be able to do both but fast food restaurants and their ilk are less likely to be flexible enough to also have an internship on top of it.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 08:35:50 AM »
Since not stated here, reminding everyone that precrime is 17, will be attending Jacksonville State on a full-ride, and apparently receiving 40-50K of what was supposed to be college money from parents at some undetermined point in time.

I'd say given that you're still in high school (or at least that age), a fast-food job is not at all inappropriate.  Would any hiring manager serously look negatively at working at McDonald's when you are still in high school?  Doubtful.

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 08:43:15 AM »
My boss at my job before this one (professional job) likes to ask potential employees what their first job was. He likes to hear that people worked in retail or food service or something as teenagers, makes them seem more grounded. I'd go for a minimum wage job over something on Craigslist that may or may not be a scam. Be careful with that.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 08:44:32 AM »
If say the OP was a senior in college in 4 years and all the OP has is retail work, it will be harder to get a job in his/her major. The sooner he/she starts the better.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 08:55:17 AM »
I would try to get some office experience if possible. Work reception, maybe. Get good at Excel while sitting around. Future employers will be more encouraged by office work than retail or service work.

precrime3

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 07:00:26 PM »
What's your major? In the long run it will be more profitable to do internships in your major, even if you have to work for free for a few months. If you have fast food work on your resume future employers are going to take you less seriously. You want to get experience in your major. Yoy might be able to do both but fast food restaurants and their ilk are less likely to be flexible enough to also have an internship on top of it.

As of right now, I'm thinking of majoring in business, maybe double major in engineering or minor in engineering. My thinking was if I could get a decent paying job at like a business or some non-traditional job (i.e, NOT in fast food) and work/save like crazy to start a nest egg. I'm thinking with my dramatically reduced school workload, I could probably put away 10, maybe 15k. But I do understand the long term benefit or working at an internship, and I would be fine if it was paid. There are some internships for small companies around me that could transform into paying jobs with equity in the company... is that something I should look into pursuing?

Since not stated here, reminding everyone that precrime is 17, will be attending Jacksonville State on a full-ride, and apparently receiving 40-50K of what was supposed to be college money from parents at some undetermined point in time.

I'd say given that you're still in high school (or at least that age), a fast-food job is not at all inappropriate.  Would any hiring manager serously look negatively at working at McDonald's when you are still in high school?  Doubtful.

Thanks for clarifying for everyone :) And that's what I'm thinking too, it's still in high-school, so people understand I'd assume.

My boss at my job before this one (professional job) likes to ask potential employees what their first job was. He likes to hear that people worked in retail or food service or something as teenagers, makes them seem more grounded. I'd go for a minimum wage job over something on Craigslist that may or may not be a scam. Be careful with that.

That sounds very reassuring. Unfortunately, this won't be my first job, rather my first physical job , if that makes sense.

If say the OP was a senior in college in 4 years and all the OP has is retail work, it will be harder to get a job in his/her major. The sooner he/she starts the better.

I would like to assume that this won't be my only work experience, and even now it isn't. There are plenty of college student job opportunities I see offered from companies and the college itself, so this shouldn't be a problem.

I would try to get some office experience if possible. Work reception, maybe. Get good at Excel while sitting around. Future employers will be more encouraged by office work than retail or service work.

I'd like to pick up an excel course over the summer, that'd prove to be very practical. And gotcha, thanks.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 07:09:52 PM »

Perhaps, perhaps not.  I went from a supermarket to a bank to law enforcement to IT and have never had a problem finding employment.

That said, Excel is awesome...but I wouldn't want a job where I had to make awesome stuff with Excel. : )

precrime3

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 07:54:36 PM »

Perhaps, perhaps not.  I went from a supermarket to a bank to law enforcement to IT and have never had a problem finding employment.

That said, Excel is awesome...but I wouldn't want a job where I had to make awesome stuff with Excel. : )

Any recommended excel courses/ training materials?

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 07:50:29 PM »
With regards to Excel and finance it's amazing how many banking, accounting and investment banks still use plain old Excel for valuation models, risk management, and forecasting.

I have known candidates who had the right degree and grades but get turned down for finance and investment banking jobs because their Excel skills were not adequate enough.

It doesn't hurt to learn the basics now, but if you don't use it you will just forget it.  With that said after you get the basics of Excel with something like Excel for dummies and YouTube videos.  There Udemy course for all levels of Excel the trick is finding the right one that will cover the topics you are looking for. 

precrime3

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 09:14:42 AM »
With regards to Excel and finance it's amazing how many banking, accounting and investment banks still use plain old Excel for valuation models, risk management, and forecasting.

I have known candidates who had the right degree and grades but get turned down for finance and investment banking jobs because their Excel skills were not adequate enough.

It doesn't hurt to learn the basics now, but if you don't use it you will just forget it.  With that said after you get the basics of Excel with something like Excel for dummies and YouTube videos.  There Udemy course for all levels of Excel the trick is finding the right one that will cover the topics you are looking for.

Got it. Thanks very much!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!