Author Topic: Which is the best of the 3 vehicles?  (Read 6646 times)

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Which is the best of the 3 vehicles?
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:00:45 AM »
Hi everyone,
I've posted before about wanting to change my car. 
Recap:
I drive 86 miles round trip, 5 days per week for work. 
Working closer to home is not an option. 
I have a 2004 infiniti G35x (awd) with 167k miles. 
I work in a high crime area
Have a 5 year old and planning another baby within the next year or so
Husband has a Chevy Tahoe (is really tall and not a full Mustachian so will NOT give up his dream vehicle)

Ok.  I listed my car for sale or trade and have 3 trade possibilities.  In my situation, which do you think is best.
Option #1:
2003 Honda Pilot, 117k miles, needs back rotors and possibly alignment (not sure about the alignment but sure about the rotors), my fear is that year for that model has had several complaints of transmission issues.  Not sure if I should trade and then either sell/ trade it myself for something else that way guaranteeing that I'll get the value of my car in trading for the Pilot. Low gas mileage since it's a V6.

Option #2:
2001 Honda Crv, 106k miles, 4 cylinder so better gas mileage than my car.  Owner may want my car plus some cash (maybe $500).

Option #3:
1998 Honda Crv, 63K miles, 4 cylinder so better gas mileage than my car, owner fixing brake line leak.  Love the low mileage considering how many miles I drive per week.

I know there are other vehicles that I could consider but these are the ones that interest me based on who has been open to trading their vehicle for mine.  Thoughts on which I should choose and why?  Trying to decide this week end before any of them are gone.  Thanks so much in advance!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Which is the best of the 3 vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 10:25:01 AM »
None of the above. Get a regular sized car.

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 10:38:41 AM »
I figured someone would say none of the above.  Like I stated, before these are the people who are open to trading for my car.  I don't want to keep my car until it dies or until I can't get enough money for it to buy another.  I want to buy my next car cash or trade because we can't afford to go into car payments right now. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »
None of the above. Get a regular sized car.
This.  None of those cars make any sense to commute 86 miles a day in.  The oldest CRV is the least-bad option, but still pretty asinine for your purposes.  Get a Japanese sub/compact car similar in age to your Infiniti (or older) that gets at least 35MPG highway.  That commute has to be awful (on your wallet and your sanity).  My 46 mile round trip commute in my 45MPG vehicle is awful enough.

tracylayton

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 12:53:30 PM »
I had a 2003 Honda CRV for 5 years and never had a problem. The gas mileage was not great, and the car has a lot of road noise on the highway. I would probably try to get something more fuel efficient, but understand wanting to trade.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »
I figured someone would say none of the above.  Like I stated, before these are the people who are open to trading for my car.  I don't want to keep my car until it dies or until I can't get enough money for it to buy another.  I want to buy my next car cash or trade because we can't afford to go into car payments right now. 
I understand the sentiment, but trading to a car you know nothing about to get rid of your car that might die on you soon is gambling and the guy at the other end of the transaction is doing the exact same thing. Nobody in their right mind would trade a 63K car for a 167K car unless they knew something that you don't.

If you can't afford keep driving your car while you save a couple thousands to buy a reliable fuel efficient vehicle, you most definitely should not be taking chances with some guy on craigslist.

chunkmunk001

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 02:54:29 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Maybe I'll just hold on to my car for now until we finish paying off my husband's truck then I can get something CPO.  Hopefully it will be free from major problems until then........

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 03:04:02 PM »
When you do get another vehicle, I recommend getting a Honda Fit.  It's small and gets fantastic gas mileage, but it has an amazing amount of interior space for its size, especially since the rear seats fold flat into a decent sized cargo area.  I've hauled all kinds of stuff in a Fit before.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »
Your Infinity is a well made car. Keep it or sell it off and buy a cheap used Honda.
I drive a 75 mile commute. I use a 1997 Honda Civic hx- 220k miles on the clock.
Yes, an older car will have issues, things get old and wear. That will happen on all cars.

I'll bet if your Infinity is clean you will earn enough in an outright sale to get a decent little Honda (If it's just for commuting, it doesn't need to be too fancy right?)

cartechguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 04:38:15 PM »
Drive the hell out of the infinity it will go well over 200k!! I had a customer who had an infinity over 300k still going strong!! He was doctor and REFUSED to buy a new car when he had one that ran!!

GregO

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 06:41:57 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Maybe I'll just hold on to my car for now until we finish paying off my husband's truck then I can get something CPO.  Hopefully it will be free from major problems until then........
Why can't you sell your car for cash and buy a compact car like people are suggesting?  It is pretty hard to find a trade that will make sense.  It seems like it'd be a lot easier to find a buyer for your car and then a seller that has a good commuter car that they are selling outright.  I've bought and sold cars outright for cash my whole life, it has worked out well for me, just do your homework on a car you are buying (carfax and take it to a mechanic before you buy it).

Also I don't think the best option is ever to buy a car on credit, especially if you are putting that many miles on it.  You could get a cheap, reliable car with lots of miles that is worth close to the value of your car.  Then you can avoid a car loan and not get hit with the high deprecation costs that you will have driving that many miles.

Last point: if you are putting that many miles on a car, I wouldn't suggest getting something with low miles.  You will depreciate a low mileage car extremely fast.  Get a car that already has relatively high miles (100k+ at least) so that a lot of the mileage deprecation is already gone.  A car going from 60k to 100k will lose a lot more value than a car going 100k to 140k.  There may (theoretically) be more maintenance costs, but those will likely be more than offset by the money saved in depreciation when you are putting that many miles on a car in that short of a time.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »
Not what you want to hear, but probably none of the above.

2003 Pilot - I don't think those ever got great MPG. May actually cost more to operate than your Infiniti
2001 CRV - Not a terrible choice but I wouldn't assume it would get better MPG.
1998 CRV - Not terrible but a brake line rusting out usually means other brake lines to follow. MAY have other rust issues underneath (not a certainty, just noting).

If someone had a gun to my head, I'd go with the 2001 CRV. The miles are all relatively close on all so condition would probably be the controlling factor (I'd rather have a well maintained car with 150k miles than a poorly maintained one with 100k miles).

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 11:42:51 AM »

If someone had a gun to my head, I'd go with the 2001 CRV.

A 2005 Civic with 100k would be a better option...

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 11:53:04 AM »

LOL WTF? Your husband not only has a huge SUV, but it isn't even paid off? And you're even considering something as big as a CRV to go along with it?!

I don't care if the Tahoe is his "dream vehicle;" it needs to go. If it's that damn important, he can buy it back after you can actually afford it.

Also, CPO is BS. Good values are to be had from Craigslist or Autotrader, not a dealer. (And Craigslist or Autotrader is also how you should be selling your cars, by the way... selling to a dealer is as stupid as buying from one.)

Sell both vehicles for cash; buy a Fit for your husband and a 1999-2006 Honda Insight (the two-seater, NOT the crappy new four-door one!) for your ridiculous commute.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 11:56:21 AM »

LOL WTF? Your husband not only has a huge SUV, but it isn't even paid off? And you're even considering something as big as a CRV to go along with it?!

I don't care if the Tahoe is his "dream vehicle;" it needs to go. If it's that damn important, he can buy it back after you can actually afford it.

Also, CPO is BS. Good values are to be had from Craigslist or Autotrader, not a dealer. (And Craigslist or Autotrader is also how you should be selling your cars, by the way... selling to a dealer is as stupid as buying from one.)

Sell both vehicles for cash; buy a Fit for your husband and a 1999-2006 Honda Insight (the two-seater, NOT the crappy new four-door one!) for your ridiculous commute.
Eh, I'm guessing she doesn't have the choice to sell her husband's car.  I mean, she can try, but he can just say no.

I tried to get my husband to cancel cable for years and years.  Eventually we did, but it was when it was HIS idea.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 12:04:26 PM »
Eh, I'm guessing she doesn't have the choice to sell her husband's car.  I mean, she can try, but he can just say no.

You always have choices. Maybe it'd be hard, but it needs to get done anyway.

Besides, the last thing she needs is for us to help her make complainypants excuses; she's already too good at that to begin with.