Author Topic: Which Honda Fit?  (Read 1784 times)

ebdrummer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Which Honda Fit?
« on: August 16, 2018, 04:41:34 PM »
I'm looking to purchase a Honda Fit from Craigslist, and I found two that seem promising. I don't know much about cars, so I'm hoping for some insight on which to purchase. Its main use will be for my 30 mile round-trip commute (and yes, I "need" a car because I'm a complainypants...I'm working on it)

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/d/2010-honda-fitonlymiles/6672541783.html
--2010, 29,000 miles, asking $8,500, automatic

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/d/2010-honda-fit-sport-5mt/6667408193.html
--2010, 78,000 miles, asking $7,000, manual

Are there any concerns I should have purchasing an 8 year old car with so few miles? Also, I don't know how to drive stick but my husband can teach me.

Thank you!

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
Re: Which Honda Fit?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 08:18:42 PM »
I don't know specifically between those two cars, but IMO manuals are better than automatics. :) Better gas mileage, better control in inclement weather or difficult conditions, and more fun to drive!

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:29:02 PM »
I believe the fit's MPG rating was higher on the auto than the manual. A *good* manual driver can probably get it higher... if they try. Are you (OP) a good manual driver? If so will you try... or will you discover the fit is kinda fun car to drive (especially for the price) and hot rod it a bit and destroy all your manual-MPG savings? Or will you be lazy/sloppy and should just get an auto if you care about MPG?

Between the two, the low miles smells like the better deal. Manual can be tough to sell because your buyer pool is smaller. If you go manual I would def try to negotiate it and see if you can drop that price.

My sense is those are both potentially well over blue book asking too -- so check that. Also check for rust on body work. I would normally say we take pretty good care of our car but we are starting to see rust/leaks crop up.

'09 fit owner.

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 12:00:45 AM »
I believe the fit's MPG rating was higher on the auto than the manual.
Well that's crazy!

I drive a manual '08 Yaris (which is what you really want OP ;) ), and although I know it is a different car, I just looked and the actual listed city/hwy mpg is practically a wash between the two (which also seems crazy!) at 29/35-36! I usually get a combined mpg of 40 mpg! But, I do think it is quite significant how you drive. A lot of people probably do drive stupidly. But definitely you have more control in a stick. I suppose if you are not already a manual person this would bear less weight.

herbgeek

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 04:20:37 AM »
I've always driven standards, until my most recent Honda Fit purchase, because mileage was better, but that isn't the case anymore.  There's a built-in "econ" mode (you can turn it off, but I never do) which does lots of subtle adjustments that you can't do manually.   Manual is fun to drive, particularly in the snow, but now that I'm older the automatic is easier, and better for my joints/muscles when stuck in traffic.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 04:24:52 AM »
Manuals are a lot more efficient. The problem with Fit manuals (or most recent manuals, really) is the gearing. In the automatic, top gear cruises at something like 2300rpm @ 65mph. In the manual it's more like 3100rpm @ 65mph, a whopping 33% faster. 4th gear in the automatic is very similar to the manual's 5th gear, so basically it's like the manual is missing a gear.

I can speculate as to why Honda did this: In Japan and Europe where Honda has no issue selling manuals and gas is more expensive, the final drive ratio is taller, RPM lower in all of the gears. Honda likely was trying to attract more buyers by making the car "feel" more powerful by keeping the engine at higher revs, at the expense of economy. Plus, you have to shift more frequently if your gears are taller. With the ratios in the Fit manual as they are, you can basically drop it in 5th at 20mph and never change gears, and who's actually going to miss that highway 3-6mpg anyway? :/

That said, my girlfriend averages 44-48mpg in her 2007 Fit manual, way higher than the combined 30mpg rating. She doesn't do anything special, she just doesn't drive it like a racecar. I expect manuals still have the potential to deliver better economy, but depend more on the driver's patterns.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:28:02 AM by Ecky »

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 06:45:21 AM »
You can get a Leaf that will easily cover that commute, at much lower “fuel” cost, for a similar price. And unlike the 2010 Fits it has stability control which is important in places that get icy.