Poll

Which unit would you choose?

Studio
11 (30.6%)
One bedroom
25 (69.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Which apartment would you choose? (Poll)  (Read 5059 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Which apartment would you choose? (Poll)
« on: August 11, 2017, 08:25:56 AM »
Currently looking at 2 units today in an apartment complex I realllly like.  I think I will end up leasing there, possibly today.

Unit 1 - Studio
-Price - 1,150
-625 square feet
-Bedroom is actually partially closed off which is good--there isn't a door but the entrance is partly blocked off
-Bedroom has weird design-wall you would put the bed on has a teeny closet in both corners of the wall.  The space in between doesn't even allow for a full size headboard (translation:  bed is going to be situated awkwardly in that room...I don't even know yet if I could even put a queen in there)
-Rest of living space is pretty small for 625 square feet but doable
-Closet space is extremely limited - it will be tough to figure out how I won't have at least a few boxes sitting out in plain sight.  I might be able to get rid of enough stuff not to worry about this, but it is a big concern.  The closet in the bedroom will only fit about half of what's in my current closet at best.
-Note:  Unit was going for ~1,300 about 5 week ago.  Price has dropped as it's been sitting but I think someone may snatch it up soon as the 2 other competing properties in this neighborhood are charging $1230 for a 500 sq ft studio and the other is charging $1315 for a 496 square foot studio.

Unit 2 - 1 Bedroom
-Price - 1, 250
-741 square feet
-Major plus here is that it's a one bedroom obviously
-Major minus here is that it's facing construction of a brand new apartment complex.  Upon visiting and standing on the balcony, me and the leasing consultant were literally talking to the construction workers outside doing their work.  Now, upon closing the doors I was surprised not to hear much of anything inside so I think the soundproofing is very good here.  Also, for the unit that is currently vacant/for rent...it is not the same unit I viewed.  It's actually on the other end of the street where yesterday the leasing consultant said over the phone most of the work is finished/not being worked on (at least right now). 
-Note:  Unit was going for 1,400 5 weeks ago.  Other 2 similar properties close to this building have similar 1 bedrooms starting in the 1500s/1600s.

Things to consider:
-I'm currently putting away 1,000/month towards a house downpayment.  I can continue doing this if I choose either unit.
-I work from home.  Noise factors 'do' have to be considered.  I also am very sensitive to noise.  Although I did notice it's moreso noise inside buildings I have the most issues with (from roommates/neighbors next door or above me).  I've actually in the past been able to tune out outside things I thought would be an issue like a train next door or construction - I did this often living in Chicago.
-I do worry a tad bit about not being able to furnish the 1 bedroom with much of anything.  I have no furniture and am starting from scratch there.  In the studio, a couch and a small bed would fill up the place.  In the one bedroom it will seem a bit emptier.  I do kinda like how I won't be tempted to buy much of anything due to spacing in the studio though.
-I 'may' move once this lease is up 16 months later into a condo.
-Again, I work from home--I don't need more space and have lived in studios before, but not when working from home.  It would be nice to have more space as I'm home every.single.day.all.day. and since moving back to Atlanta and starting a house downpayment fund I do not go out much at all if it's not something free or close to being free.

I didn't want to go over 1200 BUT...I'm moving in walking distance to everything that I currently Uber to (I don't have a car).  I mean, pretty much everywhere that I do go is right there within very close proximity to each other including the grocery store and gym (plus now I can walk to the train if need be).  After watching the rates in this building and 2 others near it for about 6 weeks now I think I've finally found a good deal on these 2 so I will need to act fast as units there get leased quickly throughout the weekend. 

They're both being held for me today until I can get in later today and make a decision.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:43:34 AM by EconDiva »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Which apartment would you choose? (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »
I lived through the construction of an adjacent apartment building. Run. Run far away. By the end of it, I had an eye twitch and I raised my voice to my husband- literally the only time, in 6 years, that I have done so. Did you know that when they pound in pylons, it's enough to make your ENTIRE  building sway? Absolutely terrifying.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 08:32:13 AM »
I lived through the construction of an adjacent apartment building. Run. Run far away. By the end of it, I had an eye twitch and I raised my voice to my husband- literally the only time, in 6 years, that I have done so. Did you know that when they pound in pylons, it's enough to make your ENTIRE  building sway? Absolutely terrifying.

Oh no....

The leasing consultant said he hadn't had any complaints from people living on the side facing it....

Are you saying I shouldn't live in the building at all?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »

Oh no....

The leasing consultant said he hadn't had any complaints from people living on the side facing it....

Well, how far along are they in building? If the bulk of the structure is there, it might be fine. If they're just doing finishes. But otherwise, I wouldn't live in the building at all. Even if your insulation is great, you can still FEEL the impacts of materials being dropped and pylons being driven. Plus, welding seems to hit some particular awful pitch that made our cinderblock and triple pane windows irrelevant. I can always hear when they ran the torch on our side of the building.

As to the space concerns, you can absolutely do 600sq ft =) It takes some adjustment, yes, but we moved from 1100sq ft to 500sq ft and lived there for 2 years. Except for the construction at the end (part of why we moved), it was a great place to live. =) Let me know if you want a like to my pinterest board where I put ideas about how to live in small apartments.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 08:42:27 AM »

Oh no....

Well, how far along are they in building? If the bulk of the structure is there, it might be fine. If they're just doing finishes. But otherwise, I wouldn't live in the building at all. Even if your insulation is great, you can still FEEL the impacts of materials being dropped and pylons being driven. Plus, welding seems to hit some particular awful pitch that made our cinderblock and triple pane windows irrelevant. I can always hear when they ran the torch on our side of the building.

As to the space concerns, you can absolutely do 600sq ft =) It takes some adjustment, yes, but we moved from 1100sq ft to 500sq ft and lived there for 2 years. Except for the construction at the end (part of why we moved), it was a great place to live. =) Let me know if you want a like to my pinterest board where I put ideas about how to live in small apartments.

Thank you.

I have lived in studios before...one was 430 square feet and another was 525.  No issues with either place.  I was just mentioning that I do feel a desire for a bit more space considering that I'm working from home all of the time.  It would be nice to feel I can 'spread out' a bit more and have a closed off bedroom for this reason.  I'm not sure it would be harder working from home in a studio, but it is a (possibly unwarranted) concern which is why I listed it as a potential con.

I'm going over there today so I'll be sure to walk around the outside and get a better feel of where they were at in construction.  Shoulda done this during my other 2 visits to this property!  They didn't just break ground though...it appeared as though all of the structure was already there.  I can post an update while there or after returning about this.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »
The studio is certainly the more frugal option, but honestly I'd probably go with the 1BR.  Not being able to move comfortably around your bedroom would be massively annoying to me, and there's nothing worse than starting every morning out of sorts.  It's less about the amount of space than the ability to arrange your furniture sensibly.  Just resist the urge to buy furniture to fill up the space, and learn to like spartan decorating :)

Regarding the sound, if possible you want to speak to some of the current residents to see how bad it gets.  Of course the leasing agent is going to say there's been no complaints, but you may find a different story talking to the residents.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 08:45:08 AM »

Oh no....

Thank you.

I have lived in studios before...one was 430 square feet and another was 525.  No issues with either place.  I was just mentioning that I do feel a desire for a bit more space considering that I'm working from home all of the time.  It would be nice to feel I can 'spread out' a bit more and have a closed off bedroom for this reason.  I'm not sure it would be harder working from home in a studio, but it is a (possibly unwarranted) concern which is why I listed it as a potential con.

I'm going over there today so I'll be sure to walk around the outside and get a better feel of where they were at in construction.  Shoulda done this during my other 2 visits to this property!  They didn't just break ground though...it appeared as though all of the structure was already there.  I can post an update while there or after returning about this.

Awesome =) Yeah, if the main structure is there, it's probably fine. It was demolition then driving supports and doing the steel frame that really got me. This will sound like weird advice, but- sit on the floor of the apartment, and feel the ground. You'll be able to feel the sway inside the best that way, if there is any. Good luck!

And totally understandable on the working at home thing. Division of space can be very important. OTOH, even if you spend $50/mon on a cowork space or in a coffee shop to occasionally get away, you're still ahead $50/month.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 08:55:44 AM »
The studio is certainly the more frugal option, but honestly I'd probably go with the 1BR.  Not being able to move comfortably around your bedroom would be massively annoying to me, and there's nothing worse than starting every morning out of sorts.  It's less about the amount of space than the ability to arrange your furniture sensibly.  Just resist the urge to buy furniture to fill up the space, and learn to like spartan decorating :)

Regarding the sound, if possible you want to speak to some of the current residents to see how bad it gets.  Of course the leasing agent is going to say there's been no complaints, but you may find a different story talking to the residents.

I'm glad you understood the importance of the issue of the studio's bedroom.

I wish I could describe it better but I'll put it this way:

The wall you would want the headboard on is really the only wall it makes sense to put a headboard.  Problem is, there are TWO teeny tiny closets on both corners of the wall.  If you were to put the closets together they are the size of a coat closet basically.  So imagine how small the two of them are.  I just don't know why they didn't combine them and have closer to a normal sized closet on a wall it made sense to put it on. 

I don't think anything besides a twin headboard would fit on the wall that has the 2 little closets.

Basically what this means is when someone stands in front of the entrance of my room, they will see the bed sitting length-wise cutting across the room (with a wall behind it with a small awkward 'nook' created by the 2 little closets). 

What they ideally would see is the headboard/bed facing them straight/aligned with where they are standing...with a small closet on either side of the headboard.  Hope this all makes sense. 

I reallllly do want to speak to some of the tenants there but I'm not sure how to go about doing that....

memorytoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 08:58:58 AM »
Braken_Joy, I'd like the link to your Pinterest!

Having upgraded from a studio to a one bedroom recently, (only $50 more a month for us), I'd say it's worth the money - but that may be a personal taste thing. I get a lot of joy from being able to think: "Wow! So much space! Wow! A bedroom door!   Wow! Open space between the table and the bookshelf!" :P

You might not have to spend too much money on furniture - we've been able to get a lot free - check out freecycle in the area.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 09:11:59 AM »

Oh no....

Thank you.

Awesome =) Yeah, if the main structure is there, it's probably fine. It was demolition then driving supports and doing the steel frame that really got me. This will sound like weird advice, but- sit on the floor of the apartment, and feel the ground. You'll be able to feel the sway inside the best that way, if there is any. Good luck!

And totally understandable on the working at home thing. Division of space can be very important. OTOH, even if you spend $50/mon on a cowork space or in a coffee shop to occasionally get away, you're still ahead $50/month.

Thank you!!  This was a very helpful tip.  I will try the sitting thing when I go over there today. 

The first time I went about 6 weeks ago, when we went on the balcony I remember seeing the steel frames.  I just recall being able to see the workers inside of the frames if that makes sense.  Basically when we stepped on the patio (this was on the third floor), there were worker on the same 'level'/floor close enough for us to talk loudly across the street to lol. 

I'll be interested to see progress of the construction since my last visit.

I always envisioned I'd spend time away from my apartment when working from home.  I always envisioned I'd be in cafes and other areas happily working away.  LOL.  In the past 5 months, it hasn't happened once though O.O  I'm not sure why...maybe partly because of laziness and I sometimes now don't get dressed until late afternoon O.O  Going to a cafe requires clothes in most instances I'm aware of haha.

Also, I host a good deal of meetings which sometimes confines me to my apartment...or at least inside my building as opposed to a public space where there would be people talking/more noise.  My boss is very keen to background sounds and is fast to passively ask if I'm home (by usually pausing, listening to what's going for a second or two, then asking..."EconDiva...is now actually an okay time for us to be talking??).

Anyways, part of the reason I chose this place is because of the business center area....it's newer and quite large with a big working space that has a wall of windows that you can see outside.  Equipped with the usual printer/fax and a few computers in addition to a kitchen like space with table/chairs and free coffee!  (I don't drink coffee but you never know.)  Next door to it in addition is a much smaller space with like 6 workstations/'cubbies' where you can connect and work.  There's even a little sliding curtain you can use to pull back to close off the cubbies from the hallway/people passing by.  I feel like the place is work from home friendly (it makes me feel like I have a coworking-like space inside of my own building) so if I didn't want to go out and spend money I could at least leave my unit and have the feeling of getting away.   
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:14:56 AM by EconDiva »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 09:15:14 AM »
Memorytoast- sent you a PM =)

Econ- that sounds like a great common space! Nice resource. Hmm, if the *layout* is substantially better on the 1br than the studio, I might swing 1br in that case. But then, I spend a lot more on housing than most people on the forums ;) Especially adjusted for area, haha. So maybe I'm an enabler on that one...

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 09:17:33 AM »
I've lived in both and much prefer a 1 bedroom over a studio any day.  From a mental preference I found I needed to be able to close the door either to the bedroom or living room (at night) as part of my daily routine.  Having everything in an open space made it feel like I was never able to escape within my own apartment.  The same goes for when we were house hunting.  It was hard trying to find a home that was not open concept.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 09:23:19 AM »
I'm not too familiar with studio apartments, but is it possible to put your bed in the main living area and maybe a small office setup in the area your bed is "supposed" to go? Sounds like it's a bedroom but only closed off on three sides?

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
Memorytoast- sent you a PM =)

Econ- that sounds like a great common space! Nice resource. Hmm, if the *layout* is substantially better on the 1br than the studio, I might swing 1br in that case. But then, I spend a lot more on housing than most people on the forums ;) Especially adjusted for area, haha. So maybe I'm an enabler on that one...

Coincidentally on the way to an eyebrow appointment right now before going to the apartment I actually passed by it. And saw the new construction. The steel is up but appears to be still be being built upwards if that makes sense. It looks like the frame isn't completely done. I'm walking over to it right now to look.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 10:14:21 AM »
A couple nice studio idea on here: https://www.thespruce.com/perfect-studio-apartment-layouts-to-inspire-4124066
In particular, #s 12 and 13. Ikea sells rails that are easy to install, so you can have floating visual dividers.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 10:23:49 AM »
I would do the studio. The only concern for that one is the "bedroom" but maybe you can find some ideas on Pinterest. As for the storage/closet space, you can get a dresser that doubles as a credenza/sideboard or a wardrobe like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90323604/

My concerns with the 1 bedroom are: construction, and you may be tempted to fill a bigger space with more stuff (I know I always am). With a smaller space you are forced to think about thinks more practically, so there's that.

I also personally think studios are charming... I'm a big fan of tiny homes/small spaces in general. :) Either choice sounds fine, but I'd personally go with studio.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 10:37:01 AM »
Oh, re the closets, a totally visible capsule wardrobe can be really pretty IMO. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/133982157637898494/?lp=true But I know capsules totally aren't for everyone =) For me though, reducing how much I owned was *so* freeing. And I'm actually way more able to coordinate an outfit with fewer clothes. I was shocked just how true this was.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 10:46:32 AM »
I usually prefer a bedroom even if I just sleep there so that I can keep my sleeping area free of distractions. But I voted for the studio. Primarily because of the construction and that you seem to be concerned about filling it up with stuff. Honestly money wise you are paying a little more for a little more space/division. Not a huge deal given your savings rate. But that construction seems to be fairly early still and could go on for a while. Given you are thinking 16 months or so you'd be dealing with that for a while. But in the end whichever you like better go with. Since you will both live and work in the space pick whichever you prefer.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 10:50:14 AM »
I usually prefer a bedroom even if I just sleep there so that I can keep my sleeping area free of distractions. But I voted for the studio. Primarily because of the construction and that you seem to be concerned about filling it up with stuff. Honestly money wise you are paying a little more for a little more space/division. Not a huge deal given your savings rate. But that construction seems to be fairly early still and could go on for a while. Given you are thinking 16 months or so you'd be dealing with that for a while. But in the end whichever you like better go with. Since you will both live and work in the space pick whichever you prefer.

Apparently BOTH are in the same building. That wasn't clear to me!

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »
Ok so I'm literally in the studio right now and it's much bigger than I thought...

Also spoke with the construction guys for half an hour

Will come back with an update...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 11:16:00 AM »
Ok so I'm literally in the studio right now and it's much bigger than I thought...

Also spoke with the construction guys for half an hour

Will come back with an update...

Woohoo! Looking forward to the update =)

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »
At that price difference, I'd normally say 1BR. But given you're stated sensitivity to noise, I vote studio in this instance.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 01:59:24 PM »
I GOT THE STUDIO

So in walking up to the new construction there were huge signs stating it is slated for completion in the fall of 2018. 

They are still building up so I took the time to speak with one of the workers.  He said it's been quiet but next month will get much louder as they're laying concrete on upper levels.  The level they're starting on would the same level (3rd floor) that the one bedroom I was looking at would be facing.  He kept warning me about this and said he knew a bit about the apartment I'm looking to move into.  He said he knew it was insulated VERY well but that he even wouldn't pick one facing the construction.  He said I might be good because of the part of the street where most of the noise would be, but kept saying that even then it's still going to be very loud - enough that he felt I should seriously consider against it.

So I decided I'd look at the studio first and upon entering it it was MUCH bigger than it looked in the pictures.  I got pictures of the studio like 2 days ago.  I'd already been in the one bedrooms in person.  So I was totally wrong about the wall with the closets!--The wall space in between the two closets is actually big enough to fit a queen headboard.  The leasing consultant who was walking me through the property mentioned that he has the exact same floorplan of studio and has a queen in his unit.  So that was good to know. 

So although the bedroom is not huge, the layout will at least be fine knowing I can put the bed in a place that makes sense to put it in.

The living space is also large enough for a couch 'and' a loveseat actually.  I thought it would only fit a couch on one of the walls.  I will probably only buy a couch though. 

I had actually already applied specifically for the studio - the unit was being held for me through today.  When going back to the lobby the leasing consultant who pulled up my info was like...."Oh, YOU'RE the one that got that ONE [as in only] studio that is going for eleven-something...??"  As I mentioned before, they're going in the 1300s for less sq ft (500 sq ft) in the other 2 buildings that are really close to me that I was also originally considering.  He stated that since he works and lives in the apartment I'm moving into thate he gets a decent discount on rent, but that he's still paying more than I'm going to be paying for the same exact unit.  That's the sort of thing I like to hear. 

Now that I won't have a roommate anymore I have offset the potential additional costs in rent somewhat by at least finding a good deal (I'm in a very central location in Atlanta).  On top of that I'll be spending less on Ubers and Lyfts as previously mentioned since I will now be closer to literally all the things I currently Uber to and can walk to them now.  I won't have to worry so much about construction noise and the space is just large enough for me (larger than other studios I've lived in and in the area), but not so large that I'll be tempted to try to fill up space there.  With the separate office nook and the partially closed off bedroom I think even though it's a studio I felt enough separation of living areas to be comfortable.  Along with the "coworking type space" already located within the lobby level of my building, I think overall I made the best decision.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »
Yay! It sounds like you made a great decision. I've followed your 'housing journey' through your various posts, and what a ride you've had! I hope this is the golden ticket, and things are the perfect blend of pleasant and frugal now!

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 02:28:42 PM »
Yay! It sounds like you made a great decision. I've followed your 'housing journey' through your various posts, and what a ride you've had! I hope this is the golden ticket, and things are the perfect blend of pleasant and frugal now!

Lol...thanks :)

I've moved on average every 18 months since the age of 22 for a multitiude of reasons from jobs to building problems. (I'm 38.)

So you may recall the issue I had with the one apartment that had bats O.O

That was one of the most memorable experiences I would like to never have again in my life! lol I STILL have anxiety opening stairwell doors where I live now!

Anywho, my plan now is to buy in December 2018.  But I will enjoy the new place for now. 

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 02:42:23 PM »
Voted for studio, then read the thread...glad i picked the same as you, OP!

FWIW: I don't plan to rent a small apartment ever again in my life (bought forever home, hope i die before my wife lol), but when I did rent, my ONLY requirement was to be top floor. You can't control a lot about apartments, but hard stepping upstairs neighbors are, in my opinion the worst. At least you can call the cops on loud music neighbors, but you're going to look like an idiot complaining about heavy steppers.

The rest (floor plan, appliances, exposure, etc.) can usually be compromised, but there's something to be said about not having anybody above you. Just my two cents for the future!

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2017, 02:54:07 PM »
Voted for studio, then read the thread...glad i picked the same as you, OP!

FWIW: I don't plan to rent a small apartment ever again in my life (bought forever home, hope i die before my wife lol), but when I did rent, my ONLY requirement was to be top floor. You can't control a lot about apartments, but hard stepping upstairs neighbors are, in my opinion the worst. At least you can call the cops on loud music neighbors, but you're going to look like an idiot complaining about heavy steppers.

The rest (floor plan, appliances, exposure, etc.) can usually be compromised, but there's something to be said about not having anybody above you. Just my two cents for the future!

Oh I totally agree :)

That was top on my list but I would have had to wait until a 5th floor became available...no clue when that would have been.  It also would not have been the same price although arguably it is worth paying more to ensure less noise (hence why I chose the studio not facing construction over the 1 bedroom facing construction).

I've rented in 11 different places...top floor is the best I know.  Of course some buildings are just better when it comes to soundproofing.  Hopefully this place will be okay.  In my current place it's really bad.  I have to wear earbuds many nights now as my neighbors listen to the same documentary every other night it seems...how much does one need to know about wildlife in Africa?  I'll tell you what...I know too much about it now :)  I can also hear their conversations in their bedroom WORD FOR WORD and they are not even talking loud. 

The construction guy outside said he knew a bit about this new property I'm going to and that it stood out for being one of the best soundproofed ones around.  Of course that doesn't guarantee I won't have issues but hearing that made me feel a little better.  I had figured this was the case after visiting one day during construction...I stood on the balcony then closed the doors and walked around to gauge it and was pretty impressed by how I couldn't hear anything.  So....fingers crossed.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2017, 03:00:51 PM »
LOL my last apartment was like that! I heard the downstairs neighbors constantly. So much for brand new construction (I was the first tenant in my unit). I was jealous of my parent's dated 40 year old apartment...it was SILENT.

Anyways...sorry to go off topic. Hope it stays as nice as it seems now. And good luck on the search in a few months!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
LOL the bats are *exactly* what I was remembering in particular. Sounded so, so awful =o

Sound proofing is so weird. My little apartment was incredibly soundproof side to side, but not as much above and below. We could hear the neighbor's TV/music *below* us sometimes, but never could hears the neighbors next to us. *shrug*