Author Topic: where you buy the important stuff: socks, underwear, and bras  (Read 32637 times)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: where you buy the important stuff: socks, underwear, and bras
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2015, 09:29:01 AM »
Walmart, Kmart, Costco

I'm low maintenance on the bras and underwear and socks.

I like the "wicking" material for socks, and darn them when they get holes.
I wear cotton undies, so those are usually Hanes or FTL from Kmart.  They last a few years.
Bras are harder.  I hate the things but cannot go without. I found some comfy ones at Walmart a couple of years ago while traveling (we don't have a Walmart), so I bought a few.  But mostly, I prefer camisoles with a shelf bra (Kmart).

My husband gets his underwear and socks at Kmart or Costco.

MollySmellsTheRoses

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Velocipedestrienne
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 09:29:38 AM »
VS can be great, if their bras fit properly.

No band bulge, wires and band against your body, no overspill (http://www.reddit.com/r/abrathatfits)

Sometimes I get the t-shirt bras from VS when they are on sale but I like going to a local bra shop, they will do free alterations on the bras they sell (fix a popped wire, take in a band if it stretches etc) It's one of those make sure you find the right equipment for the job and then find the best price.

For underwear, I like the Gilligan and O'Malley ones from target but I've got a bunch of pairs of xhileration ones that I've had for 5+ years. I find them on sale and cycle out anything that is worn past recognition.

For socks I like the Champion socks from target, again I've got pairs that I've had for 5+ years and if I'm running low I watch for them to go on sale. Also I wear sandals as much as possible in the summer so they really only get used regularly for a couple months a year.

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2015, 10:11:58 AM »
I like Hanky Panky underware Nordstrom or better yet on line clearance.

Costco wool socks.

Kohls for sports bras. I have to have ones with hooks or I can't get on and out of them.

The best tip I have though is buy your socks in bulk and all the same color or two colors if you must. Black and white.  Soooo much less laundry hassle and when one sock dies you haven't lost a pair.  ;)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2015, 10:31:36 AM »
I buy bras (no idea the brand, sorry- I like the ones that convert to racer back with a little hook) and undies (usually hanes or fruit of the loom) at Target.  They last a very long time- most of my bras are about 6-8 years old, and could stand to be replaced soon. 

I knit most of my socks, it is not mustachian. They cost MUCH more this way.  For winter, I like Thorlo brand, their website will often have a buy 3 get 4 free sale, and they last forever as far as I can tell (I have 2 pairs that are 15 years old, and got 2 more this year. That's more than enough).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:37:04 AM by iowajes »

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2015, 02:13:22 PM »
I'm surprised those who mentioned Nordstrom didn't immediately mention Nordstrom Rack! If you have one near you, of course.

Several years ago I got a fitting at Nordstrom and bought two different full-price bras. Now I just go to Nordstrom Rack and buy those exact same bras every time I need one, for half the price :) Works well for me! Last time I couldn't find the exact bra I had before, but since I knew my size and hadn't changed, I just tried on a few more that were similar to what I had and that worked just as well.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2015, 02:21:24 PM »

Or for the ladies just letting them bounce?

It's uncomfortable if I'm active, and it draws a kind of attention I really don't want.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2015, 02:31:21 PM »
Nordstrom Rack is awesome.  The one near me doesn't have a huge bra selection but I certainly do check there.  I have found some other great deals there too.  Work suit, fall jacket.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »
I had trouble finding small enough bras for a long time. But I eventually realized that places like Walmart, Target, Sears, department stores, etc. have bras in both the women's section and the teen girls' section. The teen girls' bras have the same numbers and letters as the women's bras, but the cups are actually maybe half a size smaller. They're also slightly cheaper.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2015, 06:10:58 PM »
I like Hanky Panky underware Nordstrom or better yet on line clearance.

I love Hanky Panky - too bad they're at least $20 a pop. If anyone knows of a cheaper source, I'll be stoked.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2015, 06:11:36 PM »
I had trouble finding small enough bras for a long time. But I eventually realized that places like Walmart, Target, Sears, department stores, etc. have bras in both the women's section and the teen girls' section. The teen girls' bras have the same numbers and letters as the women's bras, but the cups are actually maybe half a size smaller. They're also slightly cheaper.

I will check this out. Thanks!

adamwilson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2015, 11:18:48 PM »
I prefer to check www.asos.com for underwear and bra needs and for any kind of socks I go to www.Joyofsocks.com especially for funky, colourful ones.

davef

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »
I buy thorlo mid-weight hikers for socks. I absolutely love them. and they last about 5 years. I used to get them on amazon but now I get them at ross/TJ Max Marshalls. I buy my underwear there too. Good brands for cheap. Hanes or addidas usually. No Bras for me.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2015, 09:49:40 AM »
I love when the bra threads online always attract the women with crazy bra sizes that it seems you never normally see. Like most women (mild exaggeration) are a 32DD in these threads. Where are all these women in real life? Where's all the 40B's that I see at the mall lol.

Id never do such a thing, even though I'm a male and don't ware bras. I have bought the same Tommy Hilfiger boxer briefs from Amazon for years. I can't wear regular boxers or my thing falls out the side and bangs against my knee.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2015, 10:07:53 AM »
I love when the bra threads online always attract the women with crazy bra sizes that it seems you never normally see. Like most women (mild exaggeration) are a 32DD in these threads. Where are all these women in real life? Where's all the 40B's that I see at the mall lol.

Id never do such a thing, even though I'm a male and don't ware bras. I have bought the same Tommy Hilfiger boxer briefs from Amazon for years. I can't wear regular boxers or my thing falls out the side and bangs against my knee.

How do you know you never see them? I'm a 32DD, amusingly enough. Most people wouldn't guess that though- when you have a small band size, it's not like DDs are all that big. It's a "sister size" to a 36C, which no one would be like "WOW Waooooga!" all cartoon style. Just saying, I think it's more likely that your perception is off of what the sizes actually are, not that there's a magical kingdom of top-heavy women.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2015, 10:10:03 AM »
I used to by bras that I thought were decent (Victoria Secret and the like) because I *thought* I was being smart.
Turns out even they sucked and wore out real, real fast.

I take a BIFL approach (or at least, buy it for 5 years) with bras, and it's one of my more expensive clothing purchases. The bra I'm currently wearing cost $70; I got it and another from a local boutique place that re-measures you and fits you and makes sure the bra you are buying is absolutely going to fit you and last and do what you need it to. The process took at least an hour and was totally worth it.

Properly fitting bras are a total and wonderful luxury if you are like me and need them to feel comfortable (32DD). The store I went to catered to every size though. Literally. Super small and super huge. And they would FIND a bra for you if they didn't have one in stock. They were all about comfortable solutions for your tatas.

For the record, re Trixr606's comment.
I am not huge.
Bra cup size and band size are related and skew with one another. A 32DD is roughly equivalent to a 36C. It's the fit that matters and the fit that changes with the numbers and letters.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2015, 10:11:44 AM »
I know this is the most boring forum post ever, but where do you guys (and gals in the case of bras) buy this stuff? I'm trying to get high quality stuff that lasts forever rather than just going for cheap, and companies that have lifetime guarantees on their clothes (REI and LL Bean I think?) seem to be obvious choices. Thoughts?

Our local (regional really) General Store.  They carry a number of brands, some I've never seen elsewhere, and they're all good.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »
I am not huge.
Bra cup size and band size are related and skew with one another. A 32DD is roughly equivalent to a 36C. It's the fit that matters and the fit that changes with the numbers and letters.

You approached your answer in a far less snarky and cranky way than I did. Thank you for explaining to more succinctly and kindly!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2015, 10:33:05 AM »
I am not huge.

You approached your answer in a far less snarky and cranky way than I did. Thank you for explaining to more succinctly and kindly!

You weren't snarky or cranky, you just didn't pick up on my sarcasm is all.

Also, it's not that I "never" see them. They just aren't common. For one thing the average American is overweight. I don't think you'll find many overweight people wearing a 32. And I also would bet money there's 100x more 32B's and 32C's sold than there are 32DD. So I certainly wouldn't call it "common"
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:35:17 AM by Trixr606 »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2015, 10:38:31 AM »
I am not huge.

What was sarcastic, though? You were calling women you've seen at the mall fat and flat chested (judgmental, not really sarcastic)?

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2015, 10:40:18 AM »
I am not huge.

What was sarcastic, though? You were calling women you've seen at the mall fat and flat chested (judgmental, not really sarcastic)?

The average person, man or woman, IS fat. Is pointing that out judgmental?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2015, 10:43:59 AM »
I am not huge.

Also, it's not that I "never" see them. They just aren't common. For one thing the average American is overweight. I don't think you'll find many overweight people wearing a 32. And I also would bet money there's 100x more 32B's and 32C's sold than there are 32DD. So I certainly wouldn't call it "common"
I'll reply again since you edited your comment.
You don't know this.
You are assuming this.
You are looking at women and deciding that they look small to you, that they look fat, that they can't have a small band size or a large cup size.
That is all you are doing.

And yes, I think it is judgmental. I love that MMM folk are about fitness and eating healthy, but that is a journey for US to take. Not for us to impose. I think, in our current society, saying that "most women at the mall" are fat is a comment made not with the intention of factuality (although this may or may not be the case) but with the intention of feeling better about ourselves.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2015, 11:14:57 AM »
I am not huge.

I'll reply again since you edited your comment.
You don't know this.
You are assuming this.
You are looking at women and deciding that they look small to you, that they look fat, that they can't have a small band size or a large cup size.
That is all you are doing.

And yes, I think it is judgmental. I love that MMM folk are about fitness and eating healthy, but that is a journey for US to take. Not for us to impose. I think, in our current society, saying that "most women at the mall" are fat is a comment made not with the intention of factuality (although this may or may not be the case) but with the intention of feeling better about ourselves.

It's calling a spade a spade. http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/features/is-fat-the-new-normal

The average American IS fat. There's nothing wrong with saying that. Those that think there is, are only fueling the problem. Obesity is the number one cause of preventable death in this country. More than smoking. This is a problem, one that shouldn't be sugar coated as apparently you think it should.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2015, 11:26:48 AM »

Assuming we really are rare considering all your "fat women in malls", I think it's a multi-factor explanation, boiling down to "selection bias". This forum is NOT a cross-section of average america.
1- It skews toward millenials oftentimes
2- It attracts people who optimize their lives. A lot of women wear the wrong bra size, but I bet many many MMM women have spent the time to realize, "ah! the mainstream is wrong here too. The woman at [department store/VS] didn't know what she was doing when she added 5" to my measured band size!". So more women here wear "weird sizes" because we wear the RIGHT sizes
3- Many MMM are healthy, or trying to get healthy, and that included lower bodyweight. Avoiding processed foods, biking, etc? Microcosm.
4- This thread is itself suffering selection bias I imagine. If someone is content with where she buys bras, and finds them easily, she is less likely to click in. If she is an "odd size" and has a hard time finding them affordably, perhaps she is more likely to read or contribute in the hopes other women have good tips for her.

Anyway, my thoughts on what is likely explaining all of us wearing 32DDs.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2015, 11:30:52 AM »
Well put, Bracken_Joy!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2015, 11:32:12 AM »

Assuming we really are rare considering all your "fat women in malls", I think it's a multi-factor explanation, boiling down to "selection bias". This forum is NOT a cross-section of average america.
1- It skews toward millenials oftentimes
2- It attracts people who optimize their lives. A lot of women wear the wrong bra size, but I bet many many MMM women have spent the time to realize, "ah! the mainstream is wrong here too. The woman at [department store/VS] didn't know what she was doing when she added 5" to my measured band size!". So more women here wear "weird sizes" because we wear the RIGHT sizes
3- Many MMM are healthy, or trying to get healthy, and that included lower bodyweight. Avoiding processed foods, biking, etc? Microcosm.
4- This thread is itself suffering selection bias I imagine. If someone is content with where she buys bras, and finds them easily, she is less likely to click in. If she is an "odd size" and has a hard time finding them affordably, perhaps she is more likely to read or contribute in the hopes other women have good tips for her.

Anyway, my thoughts on what is likely explaining all of us wearing 32DDs.

Again. Taking my sarcasm way to seriously. I don't disagree with any of this. However anyone can feel free to continue writing walls of text.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2015, 02:22:49 PM »
I thought it was a funny observation, Trix, even if there are logical reasons.  Everyone online always seems to be above average, and here even more so. ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2015, 03:44:55 PM »

Trixr, as an experiment, think of 5 women you know and trust and it would be minimally awkward to do this with, and guess their bra size. Then ask them. I'm curious how good you are at identifying the "40B" at the mall. She might be a 36D or even 32F for all you know! Also FWIW my band size has remained at 36 since high school, even though I've gained more weight than I'd like to admit in college and grad school (ok, ~50 lbs, most of them in jr/sr year of college...and there's actually a medical reason and I was diagnosed at the end of college and I am working on it, thanks for your concern). The band goes around the ribs where people are not really predisposed to gain weight as much, I think...

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »

Trixr, as an experiment, think of 5 women you know and trust and it would be minimally awkward to do this with, and guess their bra size. Then ask them. I'm curious how good you are at identifying the "40B" at the mall. She might be a 36D or even 32F for all you know! Also FWIW my band size has remained at 36 since high school, even though I've gained more weight than I'd like to admit in college and grad school (ok, ~50 lbs, most of them in jr/sr year of college...and there's actually a medical reason and I was diagnosed at the end of college and I am working on it, thanks for your concern). The band goes around the ribs where people are not really predisposed to gain weight as much, I think...

I think the best experiment would be for everyone to submit pictures and for me to guess.

^ see that there, more sarcasm :)

I thought it was a funny observation, Trix, even if there are logical reasons.  Everyone online always seems to be above average, and here even more so. ;)

Thanks, I didn't think it was "that" bad. Usually the exaggerations are reserved for fitness threads and people justifying their internet bench press numbers. Mine is 1000 lbs, obviously.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 03:53:01 PM by Trixr606 »

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2015, 04:03:23 PM »
I haven't seen any Aussie responses yet.

Socks:

Mine are almost BIFL (10 years+). All Day Socks from Coles or Woolies. They are so comfy and they last forever. The most recent ones I bought weren't as comfy so I'm hoping they haven't changed how they're made since I last bought up big 5 or 6 years ago.

Underwear:

Best & Less. Again, I think they've changed their basic undies from when I bought up big about 5 years ago. Very comfortable and are lasting as well as undies ever do. I did try Bonds undies but they were very expensive and didn't last as long as my el cheapo ones from Best & Less. Ditto basic undies from Myer.

Bras:

I'm very fussy about comfort and I find different brands have completely different sizing (that is, the same size in different brands can range from too small and too tight to too big and loose and everything in between). I buy a particular type of Berlei underwire bras. They're about $60 per bra at Myer and other department stores. However, Harris Scarfe went through a phase of having my particular bra on sale for about $30 or $40 per bra one year and I bought up big then. They seem to be lasting well so far. Maybe 3 or 4 years so far? Rotating between about 5 bras.

clara2009

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2015, 05:08:16 PM »
+1 Victoria Secret. I haven't had issues yet, but I'm on the smaller side though - 32B/C. Not sure if that contributes to wear/tear.

Sports bras - champion or underarmor. I prefer wicking material - I find cotton to be uncomfortable when sweaty.

Socks - about 2 years ago, I went to the outlets and got 40 pairs of black ankle asics socks and tossed most of my patterned socks. Wanted to streamline my laundry. No issues complaints on the socks.

Undies - I like variety? I have a preference for Jockey/Hanes though. 

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2015, 05:15:28 PM »
+1 Victoria Secret. I haven't had issues yet, but I'm on the smaller side though - 32B/C. Not sure if that contributes to wear/tear.

Sports bras - champion or underarmor. I prefer wicking material - I find cotton to be uncomfortable when sweaty.

Socks - about 2 years ago, I went to the outlets and got 40 pairs of black ankle asics socks and tossed most of my patterned socks. Wanted to streamline my laundry. No issues complaints on the socks.

I'd add to the VS chorus. I like their Body by Victoria line: the multi-way bra is a useful "all-in-one" bra. https://www.victoriassecret.com/bras/body-by-victoria-collection/multi-way-bra-body-by-victoria?cm_sp=&ProductID=267169&CatalogueType=OLS

I try to buy them when they're on sale. I have about 3 which is enough for my rotation. I am a 36C.

I like Champion (Target) for sports bras too. Sometimes they have crazy sales on them.

Socks: I just buy them from Costco or Target.

clara2009

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2015, 05:27:49 PM »

I'd add to the VS chorus. I like their Body by Victoria line: the multi-way bra is a useful "all-in-one" bra. https://www.victoriassecret.com/bras/body-by-victoria-collection/multi-way-bra-body-by-victoria?cm_sp=&ProductID=267169&CatalogueType=OLS

I try to buy them when they're on sale. I have about 3 which is enough for my rotation. I am a 36C.

I like Champion (Target) for sports bras too. Sometimes they have crazy sales on them.

Socks: I just buy them from Costco or Target.

Yes - I love that VS bra - my favorite!!!!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2015, 07:16:57 PM »
Bras I'm a super easy size, 32B, except it sells out really fast because all the 12 year olds buy them all.  So I have to be quick.  I recently went to get properly fitted, and I was wearing the correct size.

Socks, I generally buy cute Target socks.  Every pair of my socks are different, and I almost never lose one of a pair.  I only like the ones that stay up, hate when they ride down inside my shoes, those ones get tossed.

Undies, I cannot believe how many of you people like Hanes!  What crap.  They fit for like 4 months, then stretch all out of shape and ride up my butt!  I buy Jockey online, only black.  I hate stained underwear.  Not saying stained by that time of the month, just regular wear turns white ones yellow.  So black.  I've had about the batch I have now for probably 3 years and they have no signs of stretching out or wearing thin.  Also no stains, cause they're black!  :-D

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2015, 08:20:33 PM »
I am experimenting with buying my bras from Ebay. In the past I have gone to Nordstroms or Macy's or small boutiques. I have changed sizes recently, so Nordstroms is the only one of those three that carry my size. I just ordered a bra for $20 on ebay that cost $80 at the store.

Also, on the bra size question: I am quite tall and weigh in at the very top of the healthy BMI range for my height. I wear the smallest mainstream band size (32H, baby!). I am sorry, but I am NOT petite. If I am almost sized out of the bottom of the band sizes, there is something seriously wrong with the way that bras are marketed. 25 lbs lighter and 15 years ago, VS told me I was a 36D. I cared too much about not getting painful welts from my clothing and proceeded to wear shelf bras for the next 8 years before I discovered that a correctly fitted high end bra can be quite comfortable.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:22:17 PM by Botanist »

NowClear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2015, 08:35:17 PM »
I don't have much to say about socks or undies, but as Bracken_Joy noted, I have spent some time optimizing my bra selections.

Count me in as another person who tries in store and then stalks online for the lowest price. I am also 32DD and my favorite brand is Simone Perele. In my experience you really get what you pay for here in terms of longevity and support. Before I got properly fitted, I also enjoyed the Body by VS bras others have mentioned here. The Simone Pereles last me about twice as long, so the price difference is about even for me, but the added convenience of buying less and better support completely tips the scale in the SP direction. Plus! So much prettier.

I also recommend the reddit sub ABraThatFits for a super comprehensive source of brands and sources. Women of all shapes and sizes review their purchases there, so you can get a pretty good idea of what might work for you even if you live in an area that makes the in-store try on difficult or impossible.

Re: the discussion about the "average" bra size, this recent article on breast size in America might be of interest: http://fusion.net/story/57951/breast-size-in-america/

The article cites a study which states the average bra size in 2013 had grown to 34DD, so not too far off from what we're seeing in this thread. It also mentions several possible contributing factors:
  • obesity, as Trixr suspects
  • more women are better educated on proper bra fittings and that accounts for some of the shift in sizes
  • bra companies are inflating cup sizes
  • plastic surgery
  • pollutants may actually be causing women to grow bigger breasts than we've seen previously

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2015, 08:44:06 PM »

Thanks, I didn't think it was "that" bad. Usually the exaggerations are reserved for fitness threads and people justifying their internet bench press numbers. Mine is 1000 lbs, obviously.

I think the strength of the reaction to your post was largely because many of us who have small band/large cup bra sizes figured out at some point that we had been actively lied to by an industry that wanted to only stock and carry 25 sizes for inventory reasons, and caused us significant pain, as well as substantial frustration and body issues. A small band/large cup does not mean we are lying, or even necessarily that we are skinny with big boobs. It means we are informed despite the mainstream bra industry. You hit a sore spot, but it is one you would likely have been unable to predict would be that tender, never having needed to fit yourself into a bra. 

An example of how bra sizing works: I am a 32H. Victorias Secret would tell me I am a 38DD.

Cranberries

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2015, 08:48:46 PM »
I guess if I am going to go off on bra sizes, I should also say what I wear:

Bras: I've worn Wacoal for years, and just ordered a Freya. I've also had good bras from Fantasie and Jezebel. I've never shopped for longevity, just fit.

Underwear: I don't have a set brand.

Socks came free with my work uniform for several years, but I do not like that they are synthetic and am moving away from this source. Before I started getting them free from work they were standard Christmas gifts in my family. Someone on here mentioned Darn Tough, and I think that is where i will buy next.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2015, 07:05:20 AM »
Aerie for underpants. They usually have black lace panties that are 7/27$CAD (so, 3.50$/pair). The last 7 I bought are starting to stretch out and it seems like I'm going to need new ones... they've lasted me through 3 years and a pregnancy. (Just hang them to dry, the electric dryer will RUIN the elastic of the lace and they'll be scrap in months).

I'll second Nordstrom for bras: their service is great, you can find (occasional) sales, they have hard-to-find sizes, and the quality that they have in stock is excellent. The Bay, for Canadians, is about as good as we get (and their size range is nowhere near as good). Small lingerie stores are your best bet if your size is hard to find... Pricy, but seriously, a good bra changes the look of the shirt on top. You'll look better in a good (70$) bra and a 5$ t-shirt than in a 10$ bra under a 100$ shirt. And you'll be more comfortable.

Socks... wherever I can find low black cotton socks in a 6-pack. The advantage of only wearing thin black socks is that any two socks is a pair and no one can ever tell the difference (and if one sock gets a hole, the other sock can be paired with any other sock in the drawer). I'm lazy. I hate sorting laundry and pairing socks. This works. :)

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2015, 08:11:37 AM »

Or for the ladies just letting them bounce?

I just cringed at the pain.  I can go maybe an hour or two in my own house without a bra before the girls start getting sore.  It is not just vanity or modesty. :)

Oh gawd, yes. Same thing for guys and commando. Eventually, it hurts!

I'm on the, uh, curvier end of the scale, so for bras and undies it's Lane Bryant for me. They're practical, pretty AND they fit properly. I machine wash but line dry the former. I have some issues with the underwires snapping, but when on sale at the outlets, they're worth the price. I even work out in them.

As for socks, I lived on the Gulf Coast for the last six years so there was almost no need for socks except trouser socks in winter. Now that I'm back in the Midwest, I'm having to buy *actual* socks again. Probably going to hit up after-holidays sales at outlets.

lil_miss_frugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2015, 10:45:39 AM »
I recently bought some undies from American Eagle online. They had a nice sale going 10 for $32. From what I can tell so far they are good quality. I also like to buy my undies from Vickie Secret(I've always had good experience with their quality) ONLY when they have their 5 for $25 sale which I don't think they do often anymore. Cotton is my go to!

As far as bras I can find my size pretty much anywhere but I like Ross or TJ Maxx for these because of their prices.

Oh and as far as sock.. I LOVE LOVE LOVE cute socks. Not a fan of plain white socks. I buy socks from places like H&M, Aeropstale(still have a ton of socks from there I've had for years), bought some cute socks from Walmart last year on Black Friday. Got tights and such from Target!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 10:50:56 AM by lil_miss_frugal »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2015, 02:33:18 PM »
Adding to the VS hate: when I went in there, they didn't have a bra that fit me and the saleslady insisted that a 32A "would work" even though it looked awful and felt even worse. I went to Intimacy, and they fit me into a perfect bra that turned out to be 28C. I can't shop most places since I'm too scrawny for normal band sizes, but I have rebought a few Intimacy bras every couple of years. A bit on the pricey side (I think mine were $80 each) but they last me for years without getting ill-fitting or worn.

Underwear I just hit up Target.

VS will tell you that your size has a "sister size" - which is a completely different size of bra than what you actually need. In store they carry a narrow range of sizes - so if you get fitted, you will get told that you are size that they stock in store. They will go up a band size or two or three to get you into a 'size' that they have in stock. This is why so many women ended up with the wrong size bra - one bad fitting and then sticking with that size.

I have a hard to find size (32DD, but maybe really a 30F or 31E/DDD depending on the brand) and detest underwire and it is so difficult to find a bra that doesn't make me want to rip it to shreds within a couple hours. Even correctly fitted underwire bras are awful.