Author Topic: where you buy the important stuff: socks, underwear, and bras  (Read 32636 times)

drobots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I know this is the most boring forum post ever, but where do you guys (and gals in the case of bras) buy this stuff? I'm trying to get high quality stuff that lasts forever rather than just going for cheap, and companies that have lifetime guarantees on their clothes (REI and LL Bean I think?) seem to be obvious choices. Thoughts?

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
Re: where you buy the important stuff: socks, underwear, and bras
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
Well, I'll be the first to chime in and I will address the bra issue.  I'm a hard to find size (low band, large cup) so I have to look at fancy pants stores or online. I haven't had great luck online since as you likely know, every brand fits a little different.  I have had great luck at Nordstrom believe it or not.  I used a personal sales person to find my exact size in a few different brands and she helped me find brands at the low end of their price range.  Then I stalk their sales.  I was able to get my type for about $25 during the sales (normally $40+).  I bought a bunch.  They have lasted years.  (Betsy Johnson brand if you are curious).  Nordstrom also has wonderful customer service and an amazing return policy.  Free shipping and returns and most credit card reward programs offer 7x points for shopping there.  If you are a conventional size, however, you can likely do better elsewhere but this is what works for me.

ETA: my favorite running socks are from Rite Aid.  No nonsense, low ankle, florescent color trim.  Cheap and lasted.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 04:28:45 PM »
I bought my last batch of underwear online from hanes. All cotton briefs in a variety of colors. Look for sales. BTW I'm female.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 04:41:28 PM »
I just get my ladies' socks and undies from Target. IMO lasts long enough (few years). Love their Merona opaque black tights, too. Bras I haven't settled on yet. Did get a good bargain on two *awesome* ones at TJ Maxx last time I was on the market; have other ones from Target a LONG time ago, one from Frederick's that I like, two purchased abroad. I usually aim for the $15-30 range for those and I don't think they crap out terribly quickly or have poor fit or anything, as long as I actually try the fit, first.

I don't think it's possible to have underwear last "forever." It's worn too often, too close to the skin, and we want it to be soft and stretchy for our pampered li'l selves ;) But really. Elastic components start to stretch out, the thin fabric absorbs fluids/smells and wears through, padding gets squished and damaged...it's not pretty. A fresh pack of socks and undies and a bra per year shouldn't kill the budget, and at least the natural fibers decompose and are renewable, although synthetics will be marginally more durable, so it's a bit of a toss-up in that sense.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 05:08:35 PM »
+1 on Nordstroms for good bras, particularly if you need a size that is hard to find. I have found that both comfort and durability are significantly related to price in bras. If you find a style you particularly like then you might search around online and see if you can find additional ones so you can get multiples at a lower price.

Kohls for undies - the cotton practical kind when I have a 30% off coupon.

Target - socks. I got some great wool socks there 2 years ago and they are among the best socks I've ever had. I got some good ones at Costco this winter too. Plain white sweatsocks - men's section at Target. Women's sweatsocks seem to be shoddy compared to the men's socks.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 05:17:10 PM »
I know this is the most boring forum post ever, but where do you guys (and gals in the case of bras) buy this stuff? I'm trying to get high quality stuff that lasts forever rather than just going for cheap, and companies that have lifetime guarantees on their clothes (REI and LL Bean I think?) seem to be obvious choices. Thoughts?

I'm rocking 15 pairs of underwear from REI they are over a decade old and going strong. I'll probably start looking for replacements in the next 5-8 years and once I find something I like I'll buy 15 pairs and roll along for another long stretch.

I have 10 pairs of long and 10 pairs of short wool socks I bought at MEC [CDN REI]. They only last 5-8yrs depending on what I use them for, but I buy the exact same ones when I replace them.

Neither the underwear or socks were low cost, but they fit me well and I am not interested in saving $$ on against skin layers given how little the cost is of my annual budget.

-- Vik

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 05:21:27 PM »
Marks & spencer for underwear. Just last year I finally got rid of some I bought in like 2001!

My favorite socks are called Sheec (you can find them on Amazon). They have rolly tops that don't dig in and are super comfy. They are not the cheapest but I ask for them for Christmas and am pumped when I get some.

I don't know of any place to get cheap bras. My cup size is like H or I depending on the bra, and I used to spend like $140/bra to get good engineering. I found a substitute for $50 that is not as nice, clearly, but gets the job done sufficiently.

(Honestly though I still pine for my Italian engineered magic bras. )
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:24:27 PM by miss madge »

mrsoski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 05:39:17 PM »
I get bras from REI (moving comfort).  Socks from Costco.  Underwear from target. 

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 05:47:21 PM »
Bras: I go to Target. I'm not hard to fit or large chested, so the girls aren't going anywhere. Basic is fine.

Undies: I just got a great deal for Hanes 100% cotton hipsters on eBay - 8 pair for $16. I look for deals and wear them until they fall off.

Socks: I'm fussy. I buy Thorlo or similar through REI. You can get decent merino wool socks on eBay as well. Check Army/Navy supply stores too. These are hiking socks, so dress socks and others are a different issue.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 05:56:04 PM »
I gotta admit, I do buy expensive bras, since they're so hard to get to fit well.

As for undies, I buy online.  Also, mustachian pro-tip: if you are open to wearing a G-string (I find them comfortable and also practical since no Visible Panty Line), they also last MUCH longer than regular underwear.  About half the ones I currently own are at least 9 years old.  Not kidding.  And they are still completely fine.

TMI?

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 06:49:39 PM »
Bras - Victoria's Secret.  They're expensive but they  fit well and wear well.  I also have the small band/large cup size issue though, and Victoria's Secret only makes a few styles in my 34DD. 

Undies - anywhere I can find a bikini underpant (apparently I'm hopelessly out of fashion, because even Target hardly has them any more.)  Have found some good ones lately at Ross.

Socks - Ross or Tj Maxx or similar, good brand running socks seem to hold up well.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 07:15:23 PM »
I'm having trouble finding thick, cushy cotton socks for a older family member that can't get out on her own to shop.  She only wants cotton (allergic to wool and hates synthetics), but needs the thick cushiony crew socks.  Dark colors to wear with pull on shoes that will keep her feet warm are what she wants.  She walks her dog around her senior housing park so they need to fit well.  Maybe 15 years ago we got a couple of dozen pair at Eddie Bauer.  They finally wore out after a decade or more.  I bought some at Kohl's a few years ago, but they were on the thin side and wore out quickly.  She's a women's 6 wide shoe if that helps.  I have tried Target, Kohls and Sears with no luck.  Men's socks are too large and even socks for men and boys are too thin.  The stuff on Amazon looks chintzy and appropriate for teenagers.    Any ideas?

drobots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 07:26:22 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I have some VS bras that got torn apart in the wash and cups kind of flipped out weird after only a few months, so I was pretty pissed because I had bought several since I like the style.  Sounds like REI  Hanes for most of this stuff - thanks everyone!  I'm also a member of the IBTC and a city girl that buys everything online so suggestions along those lines are helpful.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 07:35:21 PM »
Bras - Victoria's Secret.  They're expensive but they  fit well and wear well.  I also have the small band/large cup size issue though, and Victoria's Secret only makes a few styles in my 34DD. 

+1 on odd sizes and Victoria's secret. I know they have a bad rap, but I'm a 32DD, which they carry, so that's a big help. I plan shopping around their Semi-annual sale. Usually replace once every year or two (they start to stretch out and I don't like them at that point). On that sale it's usually $45 for 2 bras, vs $90 normally.

For my "boring" panties, I've done Target online on Black Friday the past couple years. Just your basic (Merona? Fruit of the Loom? Something like that) bikini/hipster cotton undies. For "fundies" (lol), I love TJ Maxx.

Socks I'm in flux. I avoid socks as much as possible (yay ballet flats!), and wear compression socks for work, which I ask for as Xmas gifts from other healthcare type family/friends. But hiking socks I am VERY particular on. Used to buy thorlo's until price went up and quality went down. Now I'm in the market, still trying to figure out what works for me.

sunflower_yellow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 08:18:32 PM »
Bras: I go to Target. I'm not hard to fit or large chested, so the girls aren't going anywhere. Basic is fine.

Undies: I just got a great deal for Hanes 100% cotton hipsters on eBay - 8 pair for $16. I look for deals and wear them until they fall off.

Socks: I'm fussy. I buy Thorlo or similar through REI. You can get decent merino wool socks on eBay as well. Check Army/Navy supply stores too. These are hiking socks, so dress socks and others are a different issue.

Um...  not to be a total creeper...  but ^that's^ almost exactly what I do.  Except I'll purchase my wool socks from wherever is having a decent sale (Steep and Cheap/ Backcountry, STP, REI Online).  And my dead socks and undies turn into cleaning rags once they're getting threadbare or the elastic starts going.

Sales are key.  Don't buy what you don't need, but if you do need something, no reason to pay full price!  Know your size and what you like and keep your eyes open.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 10:07:26 PM »
If you shop at VS I suggest getting a free fitting elsewhere to make sure they put you in the right size. I've heard they will up your band size to get you into a cup they carry.  I'm a 32DDD and they had me in a 36C/D.  I look so much better with a properly fitted bra. 

FabricStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 12:46:29 AM »
Bras and undies I sew for myself.  They don't take that much fabric and don't have to pay big bucks for the right fit.  Socks I spend big money on from a local running store.  They're guarantee for a certain mileage.  If one get a hole you can take them back for a new pair.  I've worn them for about a year, putting 5+ miles a day or so on them.  No signs of thinning yet.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 05:00:15 AM »
TJMaxx or Marshalls, primarily.  Preferably when they are on clearance.  Sometimes Gap for bras, as long as they are on sale.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 06:18:13 AM »
If you shop at VS I suggest getting a free fitting elsewhere to make sure they put you in the right size. I've heard they will up your band size to get you into a cup they carry.  I'm a 32DDD and they had me in a 36C/D.  I look so much better with a properly fitted bra.

+1, but it really depends on location. The first time I was fit at a VS, they put me in a 36C. They said you had to "add 4 inches for stretch". Ummm no. But I didn't know better so I wore the wrong size for years. Then I went to a really high-end shop who fitted me (didn't even end up buying from them, just nice and helpful folks) and it turned out I was 32DD. So then I went to another VS and asked them to fit me, and they put me in a 32DD/DDD. It is legitimately a life changing even to wear the right size bra.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 06:29:22 AM »
I usually get socks and undies from the typical 'discount' department stores (Target/Big W/K-Mart/etc).

Honestly I should probably look around and spend a little more on something nicer. I'm regularly chucking out socks that have holes in them.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 06:31:13 AM »
I usually get socks and undies from the typical 'discount' department stores (Target/Big W/K-Mart/etc).

Honestly I should probably look around and spend a little more on something nicer. I'm regularly chucking out socks that have holes in them.

Another thread someone was talking about "Darn Tough Vermont Socks" which I guess have a lifetime warranty? Craziness. They're on my to-do list when I wear out all my current socks.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 07:03:30 AM »
More of an anti-recommendation but I don't recommend the ladies underwear at Costco.  I picked up two multi-packs (different types) and they began falling apart in less than three months.

Huh. Their men's undershirts are AWESOME.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 07:51:27 AM »
I really like the underwear and socks at Uniqlo. Not a lot of stores in the US but you can buy online. I don't know how it holds up though because I really only started shopping there about six months ago. They have great lightweight long underwear tops, too ("Heattech", they're called) - scoop-neck and short -sleeve or 7/8 sleeves so they're easy to wear under street clothes. Target and H&M are also on my underpants list, and my bf's underwear is all H&M.

Bras I buy at department stores (usually Macy's) when they go on sale. I have a particular brand and style of bra I like (originally found via getting fitted at a fancy bra shop, which is a great thing to do if you don't mind spending a lot for a couple of bras!) and I just buy it over and over.

My sister gave me some "Darn Tough" socks for Christmas (we are such sentimental folks) and they seem like they're going to hold up well, but I prefer plain solid dark colors, which they don't do a lot of. Work great under my snow boots though! I love really, really thin socks for summer (if I wear socks at all) and I usually can find some of those at Marshall's or TJ Maxx.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:54:56 AM by mskyle »

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 07:54:24 AM »
I'm having trouble finding thick, cushy cotton socks for a older family member that can't get out on her own to shop.  She only wants cotton (allergic to wool and hates synthetics), but needs the thick cushiony crew socks.  Dark colors to wear with pull on shoes that will keep her feet warm are what she wants.  She walks her dog around her senior housing park so they need to fit well.  Maybe 15 years ago we got a couple of dozen pair at Eddie Bauer.  They finally wore out after a decade or more.  I bought some at Kohl's a few years ago, but they were on the thin side and wore out quickly.  She's a women's 6 wide shoe if that helps.  I have tried Target, Kohls and Sears with no luck.  Men's socks are too large and even socks for men and boys are too thin.  The stuff on Amazon looks chintzy and appropriate for teenagers.    Any ideas?

I have New Balance socks that are thicker than all my others.  I got mine at the outlet.  I think they are something like these:
http://www.newbalance.com/women/accessories/socks-1/
They say they have "cushioning."  The only issue for me is I'm so used to running w/ the thin socks that the thick ones make my shoe feel too tight.  Not an issue for her if she is used to thick socks.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 08:21:09 AM »
I buy that stuff in bulk at warehouse stores.  You can get good quality brand name clothes for very cheap there.

laka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 08:27:14 AM »
Bras - I'm not a very hard size to find, but I found it really useful to go to Nordstroms for a fitting. They found me several options.  I bought a couple (at full price, which I almost NEVER do for anything), and once I knew which ones I liked the best and held up well, I looked for that brand and style on ebay.  There are a lot of really nice brands at a huge discount there.  Some are gently used, but there are a lot of brand new ones as well. I ended up paying ~$20 for $60+ high-quality bras. 

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 08:30:01 AM »
I do my best to try and win socks and underwear, or use a coupon to get them free (or as a moneymaker).

For example - I buy most of my work shoes and all of my DH's shoes at the Rockport Outlet. They generally have a sale where shoes are buy one, get one half off. Two pairs of my DH's shoes are $75. They seems to always have a coupon for $10 off $80. Therefore, I get a $5 pack of socks and then spend $70 on the two pairs of shoes and the socks. Love it.

I have won underwear from Hanes a couple of times - mens and womens. I get the free coupons from VS for underwear. I used Shop Your Way rewards points at Sears (that I got for free from some kind of promo, not for buying anything) for the bra I am currently wearing. I got my fav bra from a box of stuff my SIL gave me. I guess it didn't fit her or something. Never asked. Another bra I got a $10 coupon to Kohls and bought a clearance bra there for free.

Most of the socks I own I bought 10+ years ago from Walmart. No idea why they last so long. I don't wear them to work though, and in FL I typically wear flip flops. Wool socks? I don't own a single pair. Gotta love Florida.

jat9449

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 08:30:53 AM »
Smart Wool socks are THE BEST!

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 08:41:16 AM »
For socks and ''comfy'' panties, I buy from stores like Walmart or Marshall's. For lingerie, especially bras, I buy from boutiques like Change from Scandinava, because I want to make sure it's the best fit. I don't wear a conventional size (30F), it's not something I can easily find, but I don't mind spending more to make sure it's perfect. I wouldn't buy the wrong shoe size and expect to be comfortable when I wear them, I won't buy a bra that's the wrong size, for the exact same reason. Plus, I genuinely enjoy wearing expensive/fancy lingerie when I dress up for date night or need to attend a networking event. It's like ... nobody knows what I'm wearing, but it makes me feel confident as hell and it's really empowering. I'm sure many ladies will understand the feeling !

adkarmol

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 09:05:59 AM »
I wear only sports bras and demis now (haven't worn a 'normal' bra in 3 years because of having kids and breastfeeding and the 'ladies' just change size on a daily basis because of all the weight fluctuations and breastfeeding) but a HUGE aspect of keeping bras for the long haul is how you wash them. Optimally you should always hand-wash, but I have never done that--I put them in the wash and air dry them, and in the case of bras with wires and hooks, get a bra washing zipper bag that will help them hold their shape and not get the hooks snagged on things and stretch them all out of shape.

My diminishing returns on close-fitting undergarments right now is very low, but I have multiple Lululemon, Patagonia, and Lucy sports bras all picked up at goodwill under $5. Part of the switch to sports bras is because I won't buy regular bras at goodwill for many reasons, but sports bras are fine thrifted.

To be fair, I'm at best a B cup (except for those couple hilarious C/D weeks right after having the babies :) so engineering is more about making sure my boobs don't totally disappear. Bless all the beautiful big breasted ladies who have to ask a lot more of bras, I know it's not easy.

On a different note, undergarments are worth it to make sure they fit and flatter--they will determine how well your entire wardrobe fits you, so if you skimp on the underlayers, your entire wardrobe will seem...lackluster. I am by no means a fashionista, but I want the money I do spend on my clothes to matter, and I want to feel good in what I wear, and they don't call them 'foundation garments' just because of where they go--they are the foundation of your investment in clothing as well.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:08:44 AM by adkarmol »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 09:12:13 AM »
It is so much easier being a guy !!!

I pick it up Hanes from Sam's club. Good stuff, not expensive.

sunflower_yellow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 09:14:51 AM »
+1 on Darn Tough.  They are, indeed, Darn Tough.  And they're made in Vermont.  Whoot whoot New England!

They do run a little large, so I can't wear them in my backpacking boots, but they are AWESOME for around town/ around house wear.  I would highly recommend giving them a try if you can find a pair.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2015, 09:25:55 AM »
Athletic socks - Puma packs from Costco
Sports bras - Champion seamless double dry (bought online), these last 5+ years
Hiking/Thermal socks - REI brand, Smartwool
Underwear - washable for travel - ExOfficio

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 09:37:13 AM »
Socks and undies usually from Walmart, I can't remember the last time I bought any of them.  I usually get undies as a gift.

Used to be cheapo and get bras from Target, but Victoria's Secret ones fit me so much better.  It's crazy how much better a good bra can make you feel... I realized I've been wearing ill fitting ones for years! I'm also small band, large cup and so far these have made me feel the best.  They are usually $50ish each but last a decent amount of time if taken care of properly (hand washing etc).

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 10:14:48 AM »

They most definitely do this. They do not carry my size in their store and are always telling me about it's "sister size" - band size up in order to get cup size. Hello - there is a reason there are band sizes - and it isn't because you can just add 4" to the band and it somehow will not matter.  In other words - "Here is an expensive bra that won't fit!!!" IMO the quality of their bras does not justify the price. For the same amount of money I can get a much better product at Nordstrom.

minimalist

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 10:31:56 AM »
Costco Kirkland Signature for men's undershirts, boxer briefs, and socks.

bdoubleu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 11:07:34 AM »
Amazon.  We have a prime membership that we utilize frequently for various products that aren't available locally, or are available at higher prices.  I typically go to an actual store to figure out my correct size in certain brands (specifically for bras), then find it on Amazon for significantly cheaper.  I use this strategy for most clothing items - find it at a physical store, then find it cheaper online.  I definitely like to find something I like, then buy several identical pieces.  Leads to a very easy "getting ready" routine, when there's not a large variety to choose from.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 11:08:31 AM »
I bet some of the ladies here that say they are 32DD 34DD might really be 30G.  I know that sounds nuts.  But I measure a 26DD, which nobody even manufactures, so I get the next best, 28D, which is very hard to find.  For people that think this sounds crazy, a 28D has the same cup volume as a 32B on a much smaller band.  So I'm not like a cartoon or anything, I'm just very petite and only very mildly busty.

Contrary to other posts here, I think VS is relative junk.  They don't carry a good range of sizes, it's not really high quality stuff, you are basically paying for the name.  I used to work Limited Brands (the parent co. of VS) and they just churn out mass market stuff with a "designer-for-the-everyperson" price tag.  I'd skip them.

Anyway, I highly recommend you determine your correct band size (just measure around your ribcage) and buy accordingly.  Bras wear out because they lose their stretch, and a tight new band is the most supportive.  You should buy your bras so they fit very snugly on the loosest hooks, then as they age, move into the tighter hooks to compensate for loss of elasticity.  If you buy a bra with a band that only supports on the tightest hooks, it isn't going to last very long.

I've had the most luck finding bras at specialty stores and at amazon, where some styles qualify for free shipping and returns.  Because on top of having an hard to find size, I have "shallow" breasts- my breasts have a wide base and not a ton of projection- the don't really go out or down much, and a lot of my breast tissue is tight up against my chest, if that makes any sense.  Cleo by panache is a great fit for me.  They are pricier than department store bras, but they end up lasting longer. 

Plus I like to treat my breasts to proper support, since they have been so good to me and my family. (two kids, 2.5 years apart, each nursed to age 3, so I tandem nursed for 6 months).  They came out of 5.5 years of breast feeding looking as perky as they did at 19, I'm a wee bit proud of them, so I want to keep them lookin' nice.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 12:07:55 PM »
I'm also a member of the IBTC and a city girl that buys everything online so suggestions along those lines are helpful.

I am both of those things as well, and I get my bras and underwear from Aerie (by American Eagle Outfitters). It's nominally a juniors store, yeah, but they have some nice options that don't scream "teenager". If you wait for sales you can get bras for $20 and underwear for $3.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »
I agree with catccc on VS. I got a pretty hefty gift card there so I got some cotton bras (prefer that to synthetics on my skin, typically), but I was really disappointed in how fast they stretched out. Gave out completely after 1-2 years at an incredibly inconvenient moment. Now I have a grudge.

Since we're sharing favorites, the one I found at TJ was Warner's "This is not a bra" which is also very affordable on Amazon. I'm a 36D. http://www.amazon.com/Warners-Womens-This-Toasted-Almond/dp/B00378LD9E Mine is starting to stretch out since I've used it so often, so I might have to get some replacements soon...

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 02:47:39 PM »

I agree, go to Nordstrom and get a proper bra fitting if there is one in your area.  If not, then measure your own rib cage right under the boobs with a soft tape measure and if the store tells you any band size that isn't within 2 inches of your own measurement then they are full of crap.  This is especially true if you are more on the busty size.  VS had me down by 3 cup sizes and up by 4 inches in band size just so I could squeeze into their crappy merchandise!  Wow, the girls really look great now in a correctly sized bra.  I have absolutely no regrets about paying more money for these properly fitting bras from Nordstrom and they are holding up really well.

Smart Wool socks are THE BEST!

SmartWool socks for the WIN!

straycat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 02:55:17 PM »
I am also a weird bra size - 32D to 32E depending on brand/country. I went to a fancy pants lingerie store and got fitted. Found ones I liked then ordered online for half the price. You could do this at Nordstrom also - no Nordstrom in Canada so I'm out of luck there. I'm not willing to order online without having tried it on first. Also - I went to a Maidenform Outlet store (Niagara Falls, NY, not sure if they have them all over) and got a deal on buying 3. Found one in the whole store that fit me (that they carried the weird size in) so I bought 3 colours!

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2015, 05:35:26 PM »
Interestingly I had a bad fitting at Nordstrom.  They put me in a sister size of 30e when really I'm a 28f. There's three manufacturers to choose from - panache,  freya, and the new curvy kate. Theres a polish line too, but not sure if I want to risk shipping.  Panache's cleo line fits me best, and they go on sale online relatively often. Not great (except for their sports bra, it's the ONLY one that's ever worked) but cheaper than custom.

Socks = smartwool, but I am curious to try darn tough!

I get undies at target (haynes) because I can't justify spending more ...

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2015, 05:49:13 PM »
As a sister member of the IBTC, I'm trying the Not-A-Bomber bra from Title 9 sports. It's a pullover bra that *isn't* designed for maximum compression, but just to provide normal support and coverage for small ladies. I think the size I got isn't quite right but I will try the next one (my band size is kind of in-between). They are not cheap, but the return policy is very good.

For sport bras, I bought pullover (racerback) bras from JC Penney, mostly cotton, 2 for $20. I don't know if JCP still has them since they've changed so much.

Briarly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2015, 07:55:35 PM »
+1 darn tough socks! I love those.
Hanes undies. a few pairs of icebreaker merino undies for hiking trips.
ibex long underwear.
barely there bras- the most comfortable are these ones called bandini. I wouldn't wear those if I needed to look very polished at work, but they are so comfortable.

drobots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2015, 09:13:40 PM »
IBTC FTW!  Thanks everyone! Also, for those of you who say things like Target, Marshalls, Macys, etc - brands are helpful so I can look them up online! Here's a quick summary for anyone keeping track:

Bras
Betsy Johnson brand from Nordstrom (free shipping, returns)
REI (moving comfort)
Target
Victoria's Secret
Gap for bras
Goodwill
Sports bras - Champion seamless double dry (bought online), these last 5+ years
Cleo by panache
Aerie (by American Eagle Outfitters)
TJ Max - Warner's "This is not a bra"
Not-A-Bomber bra from Title 9 sports
barely there bras - bandini

Socks
Rite Aid running socks
Target (2)
REI
Sheec on Amazon
Costco
Thorlo through REI
Ross or Tj Maxx
Darn Tough Vermont Socks
Uniqlo
Smart Wool
Athletic socks - Puma packs from Costco
Hiking/Thermal socks - REI brand, Smartwool

Underwear
Hanes online, look for sales
Kohls with 30% off coupon
REI
Marks & spencer
Target
Hanes on ebay
Ross
Uniqlo
Underwear - washable for travel – ExOfficio
Aerie (by American Eagle Outfitters)
icebreaker merino

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 02:16:10 AM »
Nobody has suggested going commando?

Or for the ladies just letting them bounce?

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2015, 02:52:18 AM »
Nobody has suggested going commando?

lol at "letting them bounce".

I'm a 30Cish and wear tank tops as undershirts and skip the bra. I hate bras.

I'm still looking for the ideal underwear.  I've tried MeUndies, and I do like them (the fabric is super comfy, and the thongs are perfect), but the women's briefs ride up (for some reason your butt falling out of your underwear is in style?)  I'm thinking of trying the mens designs.  They're modeled with a subscription option, which I signed up for before I was Mustachian. Not the wisest choice, but I got a few pairs for $1 during a sale about a year ago and they let you opt out monthly, so I really only buy a pair when I want to.  Anyway, I'll probably try REI and Uniqlo since people have mentioned them upthread, and I love them for other things, so they seem like a good shot.

My favorite socks are some Timberland ones I bought on sale (everything on sale!) - very thick and cushy cotton - and some who-knows-what-brand hiking socks I've had kicking around for a few years.  I also keep a pair of merino/silk socks from Sock Dreams on hand for feeling fancy. Fancy socks make me feel special, but they start wearing out sooner. I guess wearing them less frequently makes them feel even more special. Super luxurious!

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 08:59:21 AM »

I just cringed at the pain.  I can go maybe an hour or two in my own house without a bra before the girls start getting sore.  It is not just vanity or modesty. :)