Author Topic: Personal Budget Android App with Sync and Offline Entry  (Read 2528 times)

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
Personal Budget Android App with Sync and Offline Entry
« on: December 27, 2016, 05:07:32 PM »
I'm looking for the best solution to track a budget with my wife on Android devices that are not constantly connected to the internet. I'm looking for solutions that will provide both offline transaction entry and sync between devices. It'd also be nice to be able to budget on a desktop computer at home (Debian GNU/Linux).

I used to use Budget from Snowmint Creative Solutions. I really appreciated the Snowmint Team's responsiveness when I was a user and participated in their online community and loved that upgrades were free; but my Mac eventually became too old for their current version and they have yet to develop an Android app (they added Windows and iOS since I first purchased). While I like the envelop metaphor, I often did not like that envelops were tracked within accounts rather than as a separate parallel accounting.

Currently I have our accounts linked to Mint which provides some aggregation of our expenses, but has poor budgeting tools and the Android app does not have an offline transaction entry feature. I also downloaded the EveryDollar App and found that it also does not allow offline transaction entry.

YNAB 4 with Dropbox sync certainly is a possibility, but $60 for EOL software doesn't sound like a good idea to me (at least WINE HQ reports that it runs well on Linux). I'm not sure if the YNAB's subscription service works with offline transaction entry, but I'd rather avoid a subscription anyway.

MoneyWiz looks promising. The Android app certainly looks like it would meet my minimum requirements for only $5. It looks like I could download the subscription based "Premium" version to try it out for free (including tracking of a single budget category) before purchasing the standard version.

Any current YNAB or MoneyWiz users that can provide me with more insight into these products? Any other apps I should be looking at?

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
Re: Personal Budget Android App with Sync and Offline Entry
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 09:02:39 AM »
I use YNAB 4, the version before the subscription.  My wife and I both use our phones to log out purchases (offline, no data) and the Dropbox syncs up between the two phones and our computer perfectly next time we go online.

Works great for us.  The offline sync was a major player for us too.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
Re: Personal Budget Android App with Sync and Offline Entry
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 10:04:36 AM »
I use nYNAB on a chromebook without issues so it would probably work on any Linux machine with a modern browser. Offline transaction entry on Android works, the app just syncs when it gets a connection. Not sure how it would handle two-user offline entry and conflicting versions though.
I do know that YNAB 4 worked on Linux in wine and didn't expect issues with a web based app on Linux. Thanks for confirming that offline transaction entry works with the new YNAB.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!