Author Topic: Where to watch NFL games this season (2014)?  (Read 5924 times)

biffwhipster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to watch NFL games this season (2014)?
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »
I tried searching, and didn't come up with anything relevant to this season. I apologize if this has already been answered.

I am on the verge of cancelling cable, and this is the last hurdle I need to get over. Where do you guys/gals watch NFL games? I don't need to see all of them. I would just like to see what is normally broadcast. I thought about a digital antenna, but I am in a canyon and don't get any signals.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Re: Where to watch NFL games this season (2014)?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »
Get some friends together for a pot luck BBQ and watch at their place. Good times, good people, good food. All way cheaper than any other alternative.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »
If you're only watching one game a week, a $5 beer at a bar each time will be cheaper than cable.  trailrated's suggestion is even better and probably more fun.

You can stream a version of Thursday night football online, but it'll be mostly commentary and less game footage.

biffwhipster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 02:14:06 PM »
Something just came to mind. Has anyone ever tried going to an old folks home? I am sure that the staff could identify someone who likes to watch football, but doesn't have anyone to watch it with. I want to be honest - I would not be going if there wasn't football. Is this too skeezy?

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »
I am not a big sports guy, but i have sucessfully streamed some games through my G-box for friends that were over. I am using XBMC with the mashup add-on and i think the I-live streams has a lot of popular stuff.

Again, questionable on the legal part, but another option for you. Youtube "XBMC live sports" and i'm sure you will get a ton of hits to get an idea about how it works.

goodluck and take the plunge!

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 02:29:57 PM »
I cut cable last year and I saw plenty of football OTA. My favorite team was on OTA broadcasts something like 13 of 16 weeks and it would have been really easy to make arrangements to see the other three games. I could park my butt in front of the TV almost continuously from 12:30 PM to midnight on Sunday and watch football if I so desired.

But being a Redskins fan, I had very little reason to watch NFL football last year!

There was plenty of good college football OTA as well. What I really missed was seeing the VCU Rams play basketball, as almost all of their games were on cable. But you know what, I got over it. I went to several games in person (with the cash I didn't spend on cable), went to friends houses, listened on the radio some, the occasional sports bar. It's doable. It is also a good way to put some healthy distance between yourself and the game. It's just an entertainment medium after all.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 02:40:42 PM »

WatchESPN

The best way to look at it is this - what do you pay for cable? $80/month?  That's $1,000 per year for 17 weekends of football.  Even if it makes viewing the games tough it's well worth the $1,000 savings to me.

Do you have to have a cable account to use WatchESPN? 

TJ79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 02:57:33 PM »
With CBS taking over Thursday nights, the only weekly game you won't be be able to get for free with an OTA antenna is MNF.

Are you sure you won't get signal from an OTA antenna in your location? Might be worth buying one (and a signal booster) and trying. You can always return it.

biffwhipster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 03:06:11 PM »

Are you sure you won't get signal from an OTA antenna in your location? Might be worth buying one (and a signal booster) and trying. You can always return it.

I checked on the online map, and it told me I had nothing. I will probably try that.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »
With CBS taking over Thursday nights, the only weekly game you won't be be able to get for free with an OTA antenna is MNF.

Oooooh!  I didn't know that.  Excellent news!

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 03:59:58 PM »
Something just came to mind. Has anyone ever tried going to an old folks home? I am sure that the staff could identify someone who likes to watch football, but doesn't have anyone to watch it with. I want to be honest - I would not be going if there wasn't football. Is this too skeezy?

As long as you try to interact with the folks there, it seems relatively un-skeevy to me.  You could always stay an extra hour or come early to do a little volunteering.  It's also very creative, and I like that.

jasman18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 04:06:22 PM »
search "firstrowsports" have been using them for a few years now. Never miss a thing.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 04:21:38 PM »

I am sure you could listen to it AS LOUD AS YOU WANTED

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!