Author Topic: Where to shop for a used 24" kid's bike?  (Read 3266 times)

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
Where to shop for a used 24" kid's bike?
« on: May 07, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »
DD#1 is outgrowing her existing bike with 20 inch wheels.  We are going to have a bike maintenance session tonight where we do some minor maintenance on my and DW's bikes and incidentally see how far we can adjust the existing bike, but realistically we are on borrowed time.  I stepped into the friendly local bike shop while I was doing errands today and they suggested a bike with 24" tires.  Being a small local bike shop, they had a selection of about a half dozen of this type ranging from $300 and up (not including tax, etc.).  Since bikes last essentially forever and kids outgrow this sort of bike, I thought used might be worth looking into.  Where should I look for this sort of thing?  Is this just a "stalk Craigslist" type thing, or should i expect to stumble across a sstore that sells used bikes?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Where to shop for a used 24" kid's bike?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 02:39:37 PM »
Thrift shops and garage/yard sales especially in "bikeable" areas are also good to check out.

Craigslist, an ad in your neighborhood/community newsletter (we have one exclusively for ours and it has a website as well, small text ads are free in ours), talk to neighbors/friends that have kids that just went off to college...

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:31:16 PM »
Well, we adjusted her existing bike and it works, so we get to kick the can for a bit.  However, I found a used bike store in Denver whose mission is to extend riding to everyone:

http://thebikedepot.org/

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 05:56:45 PM »
They are probably much rare, but as she approaches five feet, another option could be a full 26" bike with a petite frame. I am only 4'11" and a 24" bike fits me really well, but I can ride faster on a 26" bike with a petite frame. Just something to keep your eye out for since you have the luxury of time.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 06:49:15 PM »
Craigslist should have what you need.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »
Since bikes last essentially forever and kids outgrow this sort of bike, I thought used might be worth looking into.  Where should I look for this sort of thing?  Is this just a "stalk Craigslist" type thing, or should i expect to stumble across a sstore that sells used bikes?
This is the perfect time for your daughter to learn how to stalk Goodwill 2-3x/month to find a new bike.  $40-$100 should give her everything she needs.