Author Topic: Where to sell first edition books?  (Read 2213 times)

dusty

• Stubble
Where to sell first edition books?
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »
Hi guys,

After downsizing my private library from a wall of books to just a box of books, I am now looking to sell the more valuable books in my collection.

I have a pile of 1st editions that i would like to sell - I am entertaining the idea of putting them on EBAy but would prefer to move them through a buy/swap/sell forum dedicated to selling books etc

Does anyone know of such a site / forum?

Sdsailing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Where to sell first edition books?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 06:48:43 PM »

Abebooks.com
Biblio.com

If you are talking about high value items you would do better selling through a rare book dealer. It depends on what you have.

dusty

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 07:56:47 PM »
thank you for the suggestions - will check them out

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:54:04 PM »
Alibris, too.

I had a book that I had purchased years ago for $7 that one biblio guide said was worth $500 to $650. I used a local antiquarian book dealer for a consignment sale, we agreed to split the money in half. It didn't sell nearly that high, and I kept asking him to take it down in price (he first put it on the market for $550.)

I felt that I needed his reputation for describing condition, that's why I didn't attempt to sell it myself. Condition grading is key and it's got to be a professional assessment for higher end items.

I think that in the end it sold for $225.

ben.homepage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »
I think Amazon be great for posting your first book..why not?Love to see this book...