Author Topic: Where to rollover IRA and 401K from previous employer  (Read 939 times)

HappyCamper5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to rollover IRA and 401K from previous employer
« on: February 17, 2020, 11:46:05 PM »
Hi there fellow mustachians! I am currently on the path to being self employed and am just now getting around to dealing with my IRA and 401k that was held with my previous employer. I received a letter in the mail stating that it was moved to Millennuim Trust and my current plan is to move it from Millennium to Fidelity. Is this a good plan? Or, should I go with Vanguard? There is not much money in both the IRA and 401k but I don't want to loose money in the process. Any advice you have is helpful. Thank you!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Where to rollover IRA and 401K from previous employer
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 06:00:20 AM »
I'd personally go with Vanguard because that is where I prefer to invest, however Fidelity is a fine choice as well.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 07:08:57 AM »
We like Schwab. Now that there are no fees for trading, we like having access to low-fee options from multiple vendors: Schwab, Vanguard, etc.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 07:12:26 AM »
I had a 401k with Fidelity with one employer.  That one I rolled to an IRA with Fidelity, because the change was same day.  Every one I had to actually move, I moved to Vanguard.  I also have my Roth IRA with Vanguard.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 08:03:47 AM »
Fidelity, Schwab, and Vanguard are all great options. If you use one of those for current investing, I'd go with that just to keep everything in one spot for simplicity.

HappyCamper5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 12:55:28 PM »
Thank you for all of your input! It looks like the consensus is Vanguard. I have set up an account with them and am working on getting everything transferred.