Author Topic: where to put my money and is it enough?  (Read 3465 times)

getmoneyeatpizza

• Stubble
where to put my money and is it enough?
« on: November 19, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »
31 years old, married. no debt.

20,000 cash

42,000 investments - 33% bonds  66% stocks total stock index. all vanguard.

tax advantaged:

401k: 34,000 all in 2040 target date funds
Roth IRA: 12,000 all in 2040 target date funds

198k owed on a $240k house - 26 years left on mortage at 4.5%. May have to move see below.

I am maxing my roth ira at 5500 and 401k at 17.5k a year.

Questions/points:

1. how should i move my money around?
2. Should I be putting everything new into tax advantaged accounts like now?
3. we may need to move houses to a different school district depending on whether we have kids in the next 5 years. That is why I haven't done anything with the cash. what is the best place to put that? CDs? how does one make a decision on risk when things are uncertain.
4. Also, should we try to rent the current house when/if we move? It will probably only rent a couple hundred bucks a month over the mortgage.
5. This is why I've kept the high level of bonds and cash, just don't know when/if I'll need the cash soon.
6. is this enough to retire early?
7. is there any MMM flowchart where you enter your age, debts, etc. and get answers on what to do?

Thanks

getmoneyeatpizza

• Stubble
Re: where to put my money and is it enough?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 07:25:22 PM »
Also, let me know if you need more info. I am a first time poster who has read all the posts I haven't seemed to get the answers to these questions.

Thx

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »
What's your income?

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:42:42 PM »
If you are married is your spouse contributing to her 401k as well?  If she doesn't work she can still contribute to a traditional IRA even if she doesn't have earned income, assuming your AGI is under a certain level.

http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Plan-Participant,-Employee/Retirement-Topics-IRA-Contribution-Limits

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:56:26 PM »
1. how should i move my money around?

Maybe consider adding something international.  It looks like you're well on your way to having an efficient lazy portfolio:
http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios
Also keep in mind that your asset allocation should consider all of your investments across all accounts.  (i.e. your bond % is your taxable account bond total plus your retirement account bond total (the portion of the target date fund in bonds) divided by your total amount invested in all accounts)

2. Should I be putting everything new into tax advantaged accounts like now?
In general, yes, but that's partially determined by your income and tax bracket

3. we may need to move houses to a different school district depending on whether we have kids in the next 5 years. That is why I haven't done anything with the cash. what is the best place to put that? CDs? how does one make a decision on risk when things are uncertain.
Up to 5 years before having kids plus 5 more years before school age is up to 10 years holding cash.  That's potentially a really long time.  That said, if you want to hold cash, then sure, CDs are fine.

4. Also, should we try to rent the current house when/if we move? It will probably only rent a couple hundred bucks a month over the mortgage.
Probably not, but hard numbers are needed.

5. This is why I've kept the high level of bonds and cash, just don't know when/if I'll need the cash soon.
Figure out when soon actually is.  It sounds like it could be anywhere from 1 year to 10+ years.

6. is this enough to retire early?
As of this moment?  That's doubtful, but this is entirely dependent on what your spending is

7. is there any MMM flowchart where you enter your age, debts, etc. and get answers on what to do?

We are the chart!

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 08:06:29 PM »
Not exactly, but see http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-to-write-a-'case-study'-topic/ (the whole thread) for some ideas on how you can better present your situation and consequently get better responses.

Welcome to the forums, and good luck!

getmoneyeatpizza

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 03:46:42 PM »
Ah - thanks all. I will make a proper case study post.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!