Poll

Where to put my leftover cash at the end of the month?  I already max out retirement, save 5K per month in a betterment account set at 90% stocks, 10% bonds... anticipate having an extra 1-4K per month to put toward goals.

Pay mortgage early ( 175K at 4%)
8 (27.6%)
Pay student loan early ( 75K at 2%)
1 (3.4%)
Invest more in the Betterment account
8 (27.6%)
Be contrarian and put it in betterment account when market is down and toward debt when market is up
8 (27.6%)
Divide the money up between the 3 goals above
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Where to put my extra cash  (Read 2294 times)

kateymoo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to put my extra cash
« on: April 14, 2016, 05:20:40 PM »
Thanks!

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Where to put my extra cash
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 04:35:48 PM »
So you already have 401(k), Roth/Trad IRA, and HSA maxed? And are already putting away $5k/month on top of that into a taxable? I'd say start working on the highest % loan. In your case, 4% for the mortgage. I would also keep paying all student loan interest, you can write that off your taxes.

Gevans17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 10:48:44 AM »
his income may be too high to deduct his student loan interest.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 11:04:44 AM »
Heres some food for thought:
Why would you decide, after maxing out tax-advantaged accounts, to put the first $5k in a betterment account but then decide to do something different for money on top of that?

my opinion: if you've decided to put money into taxable accounts instead of paying down debt, you should do that regardless of how much money you have to invest.  Conversely, if your goal is to eliminate debt, put it ALL towards your highest interest rate.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!