Author Topic: Where to put Money?  (Read 3362 times)

peterk2003

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to put Money?
« on: April 17, 2014, 12:31:15 PM »
Goal: Preferably be able to retire from a full time job before 40.  Honestly I will get bored most likely so I will likely do something on the side.

Facts:
I am 28
Income b4 Taxes ~58K
401K ~65K Ep-er:9.29% Me: 5% This is fixed
403b ~10K Me: Currently 2% but I have changed it several times
Lending Club ~11K reinvesting profits no additional Contributions
Vanguard Mut. Funds ~10K

Question: What I would like to know is where is the best place to throw my money?  I understand the 401Ks and 403Bs and Traditional IRA have a tax advantage now....but then you can't get the money out until 59.5(sans penalty) and I am concerned with having enough money to get me from ~40 to 59.5 but then the profits on most of the accounts that I can use for that time frame are taxable now which eats into the gains of the investments.  Despite my research I have not come up with a great strategy to decide where to put my money--I am just haphazardly slapping money here or there with no real plan.  Can anyone set me straight?

Thanks for any advice...

peterk2003

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Where to put Money?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 01:12:27 PM »
See the whole Converting from a Trad. IRA to a Roth IRA scares me cause it is kinda a loophole and I am afraid that the IRS/Congress will decide to close it at some point.  I don't know if that is a rational concern or not?

Guizmo

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 03:03:12 PM »
I can see your point of view. I guess in my mind, there is no need to worry about things that are outside of my control. I mean the government could just as easily decide to confiscate my bank account or do a number of things that could negatively affect me 10, 15 or 20 years from now. If that does happen, I will figure it out then. Obviously, to each his own. Btw, there are also other ways to get money out there like SEPP and 72t.

RobertBirnie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:15:26 PM »
72t is what you are looking for I think.

Put money in 401k/403b/IRA. Then use 72t when you are ready to retire.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:30:26 PM »
See the whole Converting from a Trad. IRA to a Roth IRA scares me cause it is kinda a loophole and I am afraid that the IRS/Congress will decide to close it at some point.  I don't know if that is a rational concern or not?

It's only a loophole for the fraction of people thinking about retiring earlier.

For many other people who convert at their marginal rate it probably works out nicely for the US government.

peterk2003

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 06:24:20 AM »
Yeah I am not worried they will take my money but changing the rules is not uncommon.

I have heard of SEPP but what is 72t?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!