Author Topic: Where to purchase baking supplies?  (Read 2453 times)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Where to purchase baking supplies?
« on: March 08, 2015, 09:47:12 AM »
Our warehouse store has decided that they no longer want to carry yeast and whole wheat flour in their baking aisle, because who needs those things when you can have Bisquick and other box mixes, right?  Now I'm scrambling trying to find another inexpensive source for baking supplies.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Most of the places I have found online charge an arm and a leg for shipping.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
Re: Where to purchase baking supplies?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 09:59:15 AM »
I have ordered from Breadtopia in the past, but these days I get most of my baking supplies from Honeyville. I still like Breadtopia, though.

BTW, Honeyville has a fantastic shipping policy! $4.99 no matter where you are in the US and no matter how much you order. I've ordered 150 pounds of various things and still only paid $4.99 for the entire shipment.

BTW, Breadtopia is a great place to learn about baking. Lots of great baking videos.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:02:51 AM by Metta »

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »
I buy mine at Costco.  I have also seen them at Indian grocery stores. 

lise

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 11:33:34 AM »
amazon pantry

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
Costco for flour/sugar in bulk.

Otherwise, see if there's a restaurant supply store in your area that is open to the public... I do a lot of bulk shopping there (dried beans, rice, 1lb of yeast for 3$, even stuff like huge bags of buckwheat and masa...). The bags are always 20lbs+, though, so you have to be able to store it somewhere out of thee way! Still, the prices by weight tend to be about 1/2 to 1/6 of what the local grocery store charges.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 02:50:22 PM »
We buy at a nearby Amish grocery store that sells all types of baking items, herbs, spices, cheese, and peanut butter at extremely low prices compared to the regular grocery stores.  Not sure how you would locate something like that near you, but you could google bulk dry goods and your location and see what pops up.  Herbs/spices are about 1/10 the price of grocery and flours/sugars aroun 1/2 -2/3 the price of grocery.  A couple friends and I go up quarterly (its about an hours drive for me) and stock up on all we need.

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
Cash n carry a restaurant supply shop.  Also great for espresso syrups.