Author Topic: Where to Order CheckBooks?  (Read 4441 times)

hope2retire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to Order CheckBooks?
« on: April 27, 2016, 07:29:40 AM »
Hi All,
My check book is running out that i got many years back and now I need to order a box of check books.  I still have to use checks for rent, and few other government related agencies. I have always ordered check book through the bank as i thought it is always the safest option. It costs around $30 now for a box of $100. Just wondering if it is still worth to get the check books there? Is it safe to get it elsewhere? I have seen many places online (like vista print) and other places they sell check books, but want to make sure it is safe to get it from there and it is still acceptable at the banks. How and where do you guys order the checkbooks?

Thanks in advance.

H2R

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
Re: Where to Order CheckBooks?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:39:03 AM »
I've been buying my checks online for years, using different companies (Checks Unlimited, Checks in the Mail) depending on who has the best deals. I've never had any problems and usually get them for ~$10-15/box (depending on how many boxes I buy, whether they have any on clearance, etc).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:41:25 AM by startingsmall »

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 07:41:59 AM »
I haven't ordered checks in several years, but I'm pretty sure the last time I did, I used SuperValue Checks and got a box of 60 for about $2. I rarely ever write checks anymore, so that was more than enough.

Never had any problems with them being accepted anywhere, and other than that I'm not sure what concerns you about safety.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 07:46:21 AM »
I order them online, from a variety of companies, and it has never been a problem. Most recently I used Vista print.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 08:36:08 AM »
I just get them for free from Schwab, and they draw on the cash I keep in my brokerage account for that purpose. I really only write checks to contractors and local government anyways.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 08:57:06 AM »
I used to order from the online places mentioned upthread for about $10 per box of checks, but I now get checks free from my bank (Chase). They are plain blue ones but who cares what they look like?

I can't believe other banks don't give you the option of free checks printed up if a place like Chase offers them for free - because they love charging $ for anything... maybe ask again about free checks in person?

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 09:03:37 AM »
When buying larger quantities, I agree with startingsmall about Checks in the Mail and Checks Unlimited. RetailMeNot used to carry codes for both. Now I write checks so infrequently that I order them directly from Capital One 360, which charges $5 for 50.

hope2retire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 09:19:53 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. I plan to get it at Walmart for ~$7.50 for 150 checks that will last for quite a while and atleast a known vendor which can be trusted with my bank information.

thanks again

H2R

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 09:38:13 AM »
Many banks are now offering free Bill Pay, which will generate & mail a paper check to individuals & companies that don't have enough volume to justify ACH (automated clearing house).

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 09:46:16 AM »
I used to buy them online (Checks unlimited) but haven't bought any for years since I do so much online banking.  If I had to order them now I'd check with Costco.

But, I found out that since my husband is over 50 he qualifies for a certain kind of bank account at our bank which allows for a couple of free boxes of checks per year.  So, I signed us up for that and we'll use the freebie...

Check with your bank.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 10:03:22 AM »
Many banks are now offering free Bill Pay, which will generate & mail a paper check to individuals & companies that don't have enough volume to justify ACH (automated clearing house).
Because of my banks free bill pay, I don't write many checks anymore.
But for the few I do write, I bought a small (half?) box from my bank because the online check Co's don't offer a good value for that size order.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 11:53:03 AM »
Change banks. Ally sends free checks whenever you ask.

hope2retire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 01:21:01 PM »
Thanks Guys.  Most of my transactions are through credit cards except rent, tax payment and other services related to government agencies like passport service etc. i got my last set of checks (150) 7 yrs back. Yeah, checked costco, surprised that it was higher than walmart.
Bill Pay, i have always seen that tab on my account and always thought it is electronic payment from acct to acct.  After reading the replies here, and looking up online and my account. I do have bill  pay and looks like they print and send a check to the receiver also. I have to try this and see from WF now. Thanks guys, I learn something new everyday here.

H2R