Author Topic: Where to live when I retire in 5 to 15 years?  (Read 6610 times)

hopetogetfi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to live when I retire in 5 to 15 years?
« on: March 09, 2015, 02:03:03 AM »
My ideal place would be a college or University town (around 15K or more students) with low property taxes, low cost of life, in a low tax state. I would like to buy a house in very good shape (maybe new or almost new) cash for 100-120K. Small acreage is fine, for garden and for some privacy. Clean air is very important to me. I would like to live where schools are good, plenty of activities for kids, good community, friendly people, very low crime, and good ecology (no nuclear power plants, no major polluting factories). Prefer to stay away from tornadoes and hurricanes. I do not mind cold weather, but prefer warmer climate. I would probably try to find a part-time teaching job in that college later. I do not care about oceans, mountains, and such, but do not like desert. I prefer a lot of greens, rain is fine, 4 seasons would be great. Where should I look in the USA? Does this place exist? Any advice or ideas? Feel free to share your dreams.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
Re: Where to live when I retire in 5 to 15 years?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 02:11:56 AM »
Raleigh, Tallahassee, Knoxville. Look for big state schools in states you like.

Field123

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 05:59:49 AM »
Athens, Ga. Gainsville, FL. are also good towns.

Really just about any SEC (sports conference) college town sounds like it would fit the bill.

findyourspot.com is a great tool for this search as well.

YTProphet

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 06:39:22 AM »
Athens, Ga. Gainsville, FL. are also good towns.

Really just about any SEC (sports conference) college town sounds like it would fit the bill.

findyourspot.com is a great tool for this search as well.

Gainsville? Woof. One of the ugliest college towns I've ever visited (the architecture, definitely not the people).

humblefi

• Stubble
    • Humble FI
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 06:47:15 AM »
Try DFW (Dallas-For Worth) Metroplex area. It meets many of your criterion, if not all. There are schools in Dallas, Arlington and Fortworth...the three cities that form the Metroplex.

Hope that helps.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:08:09 AM »
I do not have the answer, but by simple process of elimination, there are those states I think of that have no state income tax--Nevada (desert, hot, don't know about housing), South Dakota (colder in winter, fairly reasonable housing, four seasons), Texas (I think housing costs here are fairly inexpensive, possible hurricanes, tornadoes, but bad on the property taxes), Florida (don't know anything about in terms of housing, but would stay away if you don't like hurricanes), Wyoming (dry, dusty, don't know about housing), Washington (don't know anything about housing or climate), Alaska (don't know about housing or climate).

Then I would cut further---if you like lots of greenery and rain, I would eliminate Nevada, Wyoming, and maybe Texas right off the bat.

I do not know how old you are, but the older you get, 50+, the cold really makes a difference and, I too, would stay away from the states with colder climates in the winter. 

But realize that what states give you in terms of no state income tax or lower property taxes, they somehow will make up for in higher sale tax, etc.  But if you are not spending much, then that shouldn't be an issue.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 07:26:03 AM »
What is your taxable income situation going to look like when you are FI?  Chances are you will be paying very little in income taxes, but spending money on housing and consumable expenses.  I think Corvallis, Oregon may work for you.  Mild climate, no sales tax, home of Oregon State University, and not overly far from the bigger cities (for interstate/international travel) while having a small-town feel.

Cheaper to live in than northern California, very green but with an average of 15 more sunny days than Portland, and none of the punishing snow-blanket winters or oven-hot summers of the midwest and south.  While Oregon doesn't have the lowest income taxes, that lack of a sales tax and reasonable property prices if you're willing to look outside the core cities should make overall cost of housing acceptable.  Mild climates also mean lower heating/cooling costs as compared to somewhere with very harsh winters or blazing hot summers.

forestbound

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 09:14:39 AM »
Commenting to follow, as your perimeters closely match mine. I really like Iowa City, Iowa and Madison, Wisconsin, which were both rated in the top 10 best places to live. Downside... WINTER!

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 05:09:33 AM »
Gainsville? Woof. One of the ugliest college towns I've ever visited (the architecture, definitely not the people).

YEP. Plus Gators are obnoxious. Both the animals and the sports fans.

theSlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 05:22:33 AM »
Harrisonburg, Virginia

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 08:32:58 PM »
Shepardstown, West Virginia
Ashevelle, North Carolina

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 06:56:36 AM »
Shepardstown, West Virginia
Ashevelle, North Carolina

Funny, mozar, I came in to recommend Asheville, NC too!

My fantasy retirement town is Davidson, NC. College town, within an hour of an int'l airport, close to Lake Norman, on the more liberal end compared to other parts of NC.

iamadummy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 07:20:26 AM »
reno, nv. no state income tax.  close to UNR.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 08:42:54 AM »
I would look at TN college towns.  They have no state "income" tax but do tax dividends and interest (6%), so how you get taxed would depend on how your income breaks down.  Their weather seems to mostly meet your criteria.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 09:08:13 AM »
I live in Texas so here's where I would look at (in no particular order):

College Station, TX (I hate aggies but the rest of what you want is probably fine)

Waco, TX (Baylor should have ~15k students by now I think) Great place to raise a family

San Marcos, TX (Beautiful but I'll bet the public school is bad)

New Braunfels, TX (I think NB might be one of your top places to look in TX. It is 15 minutes from San Marcos (Texas State University ~30k students), has beautiful scenery with 2 rivers going through town (tubing is huge there), on the edge of the Texas Hill Country which is beautiful, warm, a few good public schools, very family oriented, and I think you could probably find a house there in your budget.

The big cities in TX will be harder to find a house within your budget, unless you want to live on the outskirts.