Author Topic: Where to invest?  (Read 1695 times)

Finntastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to invest?
« on: April 13, 2018, 04:10:36 AM »
Hey All I'm a little lost right now of finding places to invest to. Let me give you a little background about my current investments and wealth.

- Real Estate: me and my wife own 3 houses, 1 apartment and 1 cottage. However the total value of these properties is only about 390,000$. 2 of the houses and the condo is currently rented bringing in 1,100$/month. 1 house and cottage is for our personal use. However Im about to loose one property (not on that list) worth around 300,000$ (legal issues). So total I have put in about 670,000$ to real estate and got about 390,000$ worth of properties with 116,000$ mortgage. So real estate has not been a good investment for me.

- Startups:  I did invest into few startups total of around 50,000$ that money is pretty much gone now and I don't see way to recover it, if Im lucky some, but pretty much its gone.

- Cryptos: This is actually only investment so far that has worked out for me, but as I saw it so risky I've been pretty careful with it. I did invest 3,000$ a year ago and my portfolio there is worth now around 15,000$ but could go any direction.

So total I have invested 723,000$ and got portfolio worth of 289,000$= so would have been better of to just keep the money in bank, but with 0 interest rates these days that doesn't inspire too much.

Now the good news is that I can save around 30,000$/month thanks to my current day job / business in software development, but that might not last forever.

I should add that Im from Finland but working and living in Thailand where Im also tax resident and too terrified to invest anything back home in Finland incase they would welcome me back to pay taxes there.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
Re: Where to invest?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 05:35:05 AM »
Have you considered or figured out how to just invest in a Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund?

Rob_bob

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 02:00:41 PM »
I don't know what is available outside the U.S.A. but agree that you should find a total U.S. market index fund and a world ex the U.S. fund and stick with those.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 06:39:33 AM »
Startups and Crypto are both incredibly risky investments, I don't recommend them for anyone just starting out, and I would never recommend them as a large percentage of your total portfolio.  You're learning some of the pitfalls of real estate investing as well.  Chasesfish and Rob_bob are correct that your best bet is going to be finding out what kinds of index funds are available in your country, and invest in a broad international index.