Author Topic: Where to get cheap bulk beans  (Read 45423 times)

BoulderTC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where to get cheap bulk beans
« on: January 06, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
Hi, my husband and I eat tons of beans (mostly black and garbanzo), rice, lentils, quinoa and the like. I feel pretty good about the price of brown rice and quinoa from Costco, but our Costco doesn't sell bulk beans (except pinto, which I'm allergic to) or lentils. The prices at my local stores' bulk sections are about $1.69 per pound for most beans and $0.99 per pound for lentils. We have plenty of storage space in our basement to buy beans in crazy quantities. Does anyone know of a place to get black beans or garbanzo beans less than a dollar per pound, including shipping if applicable? Thanks in advance for your help.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: Where to get cheap bulk beans
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:06:02 PM »
My first thought for getting large quantities of beans was at "doomsday prepper" supply websites. This place will sell you a 41-pound pail of black beans for $78.95 after shipping ($1.92/pound). They give you a discount if you buy four or more pails -- 164 pounds of black beans will set you back $266 after shipping ($1.62/pound). That's less than you're paying now, but not by that much. They don't sell garbanzo beans, and their lentils cost almost as much as the black beans, so you wouldn't save any money on those. This place also sells a variety of dried goods in 5-gallon buckets, and their prices per pound look similar.

So the prices you pay at your local store actually sound pretty good. Have you considered asking the store manager if they could special-order you a huge quantity for a discount off their normal price?

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:09:04 PM »
Are there any ethnic grocers nearby? Indian or Hispanic?

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:09:05 PM »
Casn 'n carry.   Bulk beans really cheap.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 09:48:23 PM »
Depends on where you live. I rarely see the best prices online.

BoulderTC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:17:33 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I will check out a few more local stores and peruse the thread linked from NinetyFour. I appreciate the help!

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:28:41 AM »
Off-topic, but be sure you protect this investment well. 

I say this because a few weeks ago nasty bugs got into my pantry and ate into plastic bags of beans, pecans and boxed cake mixes and similar.  I had to throw away so much!  However, the things I'd stored in glass jars were perfectly safe. 

snuggler

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 10:37:39 AM »
I second the recommendation for doomsday preppers or emergency food supply products.  I know Costco and a place called Shelf Reliance also sell emergency food supplies. Costco's online emergency food supply section may be cheaper or have a better selection than what they have in-store.

I also know that some religions buy bulk beans and grains, either because they believe in being prepared for emergencies, or because they are interested in frugality (for various reasons). Those religions may have stores that sell bulk beans, or forums or guides to direct you to places that offer cheap bulk beans. For example, I know the LDS church sells bulk emergency food supplies, including beans and grains, and will sell to non-LDS members.

BoulderTC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 01:56:52 PM »
Thanks! I wanted to update and let everyone else who might be interested know that I just got the weekly circular from Sprouts and it appears that black beans are going to be on sale starting tomorrow for $0.99/lb. That's probably the best deal I'll get anywhere on black beans so I'm going to stock up! Not sure if all Sprouts have the same deals, but in case anyone else is interested, I'm in Denver.

MrsPete - good call on making sure they're protected once I buy!

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 02:31:20 PM »
I was just at Winco and I saw that they sell 25 pound sacks of pintos and black beans for $20.  Not a bad price.  I should ask if I can order whole bags of other items.   We eat a lot of beans and it makes it simple to buy by the whole bag. 

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 03:49:07 PM »
If you are in the Denver metroplex, a great place is Golden Organics in Arvada:  http://goldenorganics.net

If you are not interested in organic, or if you don't care where the beans are from (in many cases they are from China)  then you'll find better prices elsewhere. But I'm willing to pay $1.25/lb for organic black beans from Michigan (vs overseas). 

If you can give them a day's notice before pickup, they love that.  Nice people.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:54:18 PM by puglogic »