Author Topic: Where to from Ohio?  (Read 6401 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Where to from Ohio?
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:57:56 AM »
If you were traveling to the US - Ohio (which SO who is knowledgeable about all things US says has nothing to see) in October and were then going to be kicking your heels for six days before traveling on to Central America. What would you do, and where would you go?

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
Re: Where to from Ohio?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:17:04 AM »
Columbus has quite a bit going on.

PEIslander

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 04:13:18 AM »
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:01:56 AM by PEIslander »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 04:23:51 AM »
Google says it is only 5 hours to the Niagara falls and Canada maybe I should do that? And see Ottawa and those fantastic lakes that blodge all over the maps of Canada. Then I could get to South America from Ottawa.

Unkempt Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 04:26:12 AM »
That depends on where and when in Ohio. :)
It's not a giant state, but its many hours from top to bottom.

Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of fame.
Columbus has COSI
Cincinnati has the Krohn conservatory.
There are lots of sports teams throughout Ohio.
Most of the cities have museums of some level.
The Air Force museum in Dayton is a good stop.

Lots of good things to eat depending on where you are as well

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 04:59:07 AM »
Columbus native here. COSI (science museum) is nice but pretty spendy if you're not a member, and I don't think way more impressive than anywhere else. The zoo is nice. There are lots of metro parks that can be visited for free, rivers to walk along, interesting dining at all price points, if you are so lucky to be here on a first Friday there is Gallery Hop where all the art galleries in the Short North open up their doors in the evening--or visit the Short North during the day and see the galleries then. German Village is worth a walkabout. There are places downtown that you can rent a bike and tool around. I think it's funny that Easton Town Center came up first on that touristy list... I can't stand Easton, it's basically a giant monument to consumerism. Going on vacation to go shopping is not my idea of fun (or, I bet, yours either, since you posted on this board).

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 05:23:57 AM »
Non-native Ohio resident says: Ohio is pretty blah. 

What are you into? I can name some nice camping/hiking locations (shocking hills and Cuyahoga national park). There is the usual city stuff as mentioned but it's nothing special. Niagara falls isn't too far from Cleveland.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 05:46:43 AM »
You could rent a cabin or camp in Hocking Hills. There are beautiful hiking trails and lots of nature to be had. October is peak season with the leaves changing. Other than that, there's a nice aquarium in Cincinnati.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 06:16:05 AM »
Pittsburgh isn't far away from eastern Ohio.

Also, northern Kentucky is beautiful and if you like bourbon at all I imagine there are some good distillery tours.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 06:22:53 AM »
There are some beautiful places to camp in Ohio.  Cabins are pretty inexpensive.

Lake Erie is one of my favorite places.  Put-In-Bay is a fun little island that is easy to get to.

Columbus is a fun place to hang out with great places to eat.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Pro-Football Hall of Fame.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 06:25:00 AM »
Wow, so many negative comments about Ohio!

I grew up just south of Cleveland, and I really don't understand all the "blah."  It's a very pretty state in October!

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a lot of fun.  Downtown Cleveland, much like any big city, has a lot of other stuff to offer.  The Great Lakes Brewing Company makes delicious brews, and the West Side Market is close by.  Mmmm....traditional Italian and Eastern European delicacies.

The Cleveland Orchestra is one of the best in the world.

The Art Museum was recently renovated, and I spent many summers as a kiddo walking its halls.

The Cuyahoga Valley National Park has so many trails and historical tours to explore.  My parents have been hiking it for years now and still find new trails every weekend.

Ohio (and Cleveland!) is what you make of it.  Open your eyes and your mind a little bit, and I think you'll find it beautiful and charming.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 06:29:12 AM »
Another Ohioan here, and as asked upthread, what are you in to?

The Toledo Zoo is one of the best in the country.  And the Toledo Museum of Art can be pretty amazing (I say "can be" because they occasionally get travelling exhibits that run through there that are awesome...the standard fare is ok though)

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is awesome.

Ditto Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Hocking Hills is beautiful.

Columbus has a Budweiser brewery.

If the Cleveland Orchestra has a performance while you are there I strongly recommend it...they are one of the best in the world and Severence Hall is amazing!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 06:31:55 AM »
Where in Ohio? I enjoy visiting Ohio's rural Amish country. I'd visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater just over the border in PA, Niagara Falls (recommend the Maid of the Mist boat thing), and the NY Finger Lakes region is beautiful. Totally depends on what you enjoy doing when traveling!

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 06:42:43 AM »
Where in Ohio? I enjoy visiting Ohio's rural Amish country. I'd visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater just over the border in PA, Niagara Falls (recommend the Maid of the Mist boat thing), and the NY Finger Lakes region is beautiful. Totally depends on what you enjoy doing when traveling!

I second this recommendation! Ohio's Holmes County is the largest Amish community in the world and is well worth a visit to see how they live and to try their amazing pies, breads, cheeses, and other items. There are a few bed and breakfasts in the area that are enjoyable as an experience of this unique brand of Americana and the proprietors will help you make sense of their customs.

Ohio is terribly boring to Ohioans, but it gets a bad rap. When I lived in Columbus nearly everyone told me that Ohio was a great place to live but boring to visit but it really isn't true. Ohio isn't any duller than other states. Ohioans suffer by comparing their cities to nearby Chicago (one of the great cities of the world, in my opinion) but that's not the right comparison. The right comparison is to other states and Ohio stacks up pretty well in that regard. The people are friendly, honest, and good. The food is good. The outdoor areas are well-maintained (though there isn't enough wilderness for my tastes) and the shopping is great.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 08:32:02 AM »

I second this recommendation! Ohio's Holmes County is the largest Amish community in the world and is well worth a visit to see how they live and to try their amazing pies, breads, cheeses, and other items. There are a few bed and breakfasts in the area that are enjoyable as an experience of this unique brand of Americana and the proprietors will help you make sense of their customs.

I think this is a pretty good idea too.  Spend a day or two in Amish country, check out Niagra Falls, and then spend a couple of days in western New York.  You'll have some amazing foliage up there in October.

Side note - Niagra Falls is pretty incredible, but it's also a ridiculous tourist trap, so I wouldn't stay more than one night there, as pretty much the only interesting thing is the falls.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 08:54:36 AM »
You could rent a cabin or camp in Hocking Hills. There are beautiful hiking trails and lots of nature to be had. October is peak season with the leaves changing. Other than that, there's a nice aquarium in Cincinnati.

This is my vote, 100%. Grew up in the region and it still takes my breath away every time I drive through Hocking Hills in the fall.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 09:57:10 AM »
OK, possibly not super Mustachian but Cedar Point is also in Ohio.  Its the best amusement park I've been to so far (and I looove them).  Its not as ridiculously priced as 6 flags, and you actually get your moneys worth on rides since its nowhere near as packed as a 6 flags or another amusement park would be.  They also have some of the best rides I've ever been on.  Plus, I remember going on some rides and literally just walking right up to the loading platform (we did go in late August/early September though so maybe not prime time).  Also you can camp there or stay in a hotel within the park.  They've also got some stuff like water sports there (went parasailing there on a separate trip looong ago).  I bet you could make it cheaper too by staying outside the park and not eating there.  I wasn't on the Mustachian bandwagon the last time I was there, but I do not remember it being a terribly expensive trip (2 of us were there for 2 days/nights).

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 10:33:22 AM »
OK, possibly not super Mustachian but Cedar Point is also in Ohio.

Was wondering if someone was going to mention Cedar Point.  It's one of the best things Ohio has to offer if you like roller coasters.  In October they're only open on weekends, iirc, and they will be doing halloween themed stuff, which can be fun.  If you like amusement parks I would highly recommend, it's definitely the best I've ever been to.  Been there probably 20 times since a kid and never got bored with it.  Dress warm, it's on the lake and is always breezy and 10 degrees colder than what it was when you left the house.

I second all the other things like COSI, Rock n Roll hall of fame, Cuyahoga National Park, depending on where you'll be staying.