Author Topic: Where to find decent prices on new tires?  (Read 2364 times)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Where to find decent prices on new tires?
« on: August 08, 2016, 08:43:23 AM »
Hi everyone! As luck would have it, immediately after dumping my semi-monthly excess budget funds into my student loans, I realized I need new tires. To about the tune of exactly what I paid toward these loans. Oops.

I am going to check my manufacturer warranty when I get off of work (they are Michelin and came with the car which is now at 41k miles), but in the event that they are not covered, I'd like some suggestions on where to look for deals on new tires.

I drive a Toyota Camry 2012, if that makes a difference!

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
Re: Where to find decent prices on new tires?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:31:31 AM »
Here's a recent thread with some good suggestions.

Discount, Costco, and Tire Rack get lots of recommendations.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/where-do-you-find-the-best-price-on-decent-tires/msg1176173/#msg1176173

JJ-

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 11:15:53 AM »
Here's a recent thread with some good suggestions.

Discount, Costco, and Tire Rack get lots of recommendations.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/where-do-you-find-the-best-price-on-decent-tires/msg1176173/#msg1176173

Seconding Costco & Tire Rack.

BeHere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »
As others have already said, Tire Rack and Discount Tire.

Jacks flunky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 04:38:46 PM »
This isn't where, but since I just went through this... If you are keeping this car until after these tires wear out, look at the cost per mile on the tires; I went with Continentals that have a 90000 tread life warranty. Also, the price of tires is relatively low compared to gas, so it is likely worth the money (it was when I ran the approximate numbers) to pay a bit more for low rolling resistance tires. You can get some clarification of rolling resistance if comparing tires that are marketed in Europe, since the EU requires that their labeling have some indication of rolling resistance.

Fwiw, it wasn't worth me purchasing from tire rack then getting a local install; the install cost is generally subsidized because the shop makes money on the tires as well.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

pbnj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 05:45:47 PM »
I got mine at Costco.  Includes free tire rotation for as long as you own.  They frequently have coupons for $75 off of 4.  I just got a new set of Michelin 90000 mile warranty should get me through the next 10 - 12 years.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 09:40:35 AM »
I got mine at Costco.  Includes free tire rotation for as long as you own.  They frequently have coupons for $75 off of 4.  I just got a new set of Michelin 90000 mile warranty should get me through the next 10 - 12 years.
Ummm..  sorry to be a wet blanket, but...  tires degrade with age.  They get harder, which makes them have less traction, esp. on wet and snow.  I've heard multiple times that tires should always be replaced at 6-8 years (and there is a date code on all DOT tires).