Author Topic: Where to find a part time telecommuting remote low stress job?  (Read 5721 times)

ddm5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi everybody,

I'm 28 and financially independent through rental properties.  I'm going to take the next year off to travel and work on personal goals.  After that, however, I would like to pick up a "job" to supercharge the growth of my real estate business.  It currently makes about $5000 per month after taxes consistently.  If I'm not traveling, my personal expenses including everything are about $1500 per month.  But I will be traveling alot at first.  I'm also getting a hidden $1000 of equity paydown and about $2000 of appreciation every month, in theory.  So if I can get a gig that makes $1500 a month I will be banking all of my real estate money, rolling it into more properties, and in a couple years things should really explode.

The thing is, I am burnt out.  I was in investment management for a super conservative, slave-driving firm.  I want a very low stress job that I can pick up whenever I want and drop whenever I want, as long as I reach a certain quota.  I would not be opposed to 100% commission.  I would need this job to be entirely or almost entirely remote, as I do not want to have to deal with commutes, khakis, or cubicles ever again for the rest of my life.  I want to be able to do it poolside.  I would be willing to put in 20-30 hours per week.  I don't care about benefits.

I have an undergrad in Econ and an MBA from top 15 schools.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Do these kinds of jobs exist?  I don't really even care how mundane or unrelated to my field it is. 

Alternatively, I could start a business where I am actively involved, but I hesitate to do so, since I love my passive income and my new freedom, and I am not particularly passionate about anything that has income potential in the short to medium term.

stlbrah

• Bristles
Re: Where to find a part time telecommuting remote low stress job?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »
Are you interested in computers at all? I am currently working part time from home, and will be eventually full time from home. Most of my company is going in this direction as well as many other fortune 500

It is obviously different field from your last job, but a lot of people get into this field after they didn't enjoy their first field since it can be a little more fun and you can teach yourself.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »
Are you interested in computers at all? I am currently working part time from home, and will be eventually full time from home. Most of my company is going in this direction as well as many other fortune 500

It is obviously different field from your last job, but a lot of people get into this field after they didn't enjoy their first field since it can be a little more fun and you can teach yourself.

What do you do, out of curiosity? I've been doing programming as a hobby and always wonder what sort of remote jobs are out there and how they pay.

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
If you're just wanting some extra low-stress income try tutor.com... that's what I do.
Can probably get $1500/month with only 20-25 hrs a week depending on what subjects you tutor.
Choose your own hours... completely from home anywhere in the country.
Only need to do 20 hours a month to stay in active status

NathanDrake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:31:12 PM »
How did you get enough rental properties to generate that kind of income at that age and with an MBA (which was surely costly?)

Are there any large risks you're not accounting for?

NathanDrake

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 11:47:47 PM »
Just read over your post history.

What happened to your "affiliate marketing" online business that was generating between 3-50K per month?

Sometimes I think posters are a complete flame.

ddm5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 12:19:29 AM »
Just read over your post history.

What happened to your "affiliate marketing" online business that was generating between 3-50K per month?

Sometimes I think posters are a complete flame.

I got in, I got out.  Internet marketing is extremely volatile, especially the niches I participated in.  I took my cash, spent none of it thanks to this blog, and rolled it all into real estate.  Thanks to this blog, based on my $5200/mo real estate income and my mustachian-influenced $1500 spending level, which includes bars, parties, concerts, and all the typical trappings of a single twentysomething, I still save $3700 a month.  But if I can, over time, become ridiculously rich by tutoring some kid for 20 hours of my time per month, I think you see why I am inquiring.  $3700 per month is far more than I ever saved on a monthly basis prior to affiliate marketing, but after those $50k months it still sets off a bit of a "OMG I'm gonna go broke!" panic reflex that will dull with time...I hope!

Now is a pretty bad time to get into the internet marketing industry, at least in my niche, which was paid direct-response banner ads for products in the health area.

I would expect nothing less from this board than to call out perceived possible bullshitting, thanks for keeping it real.

ddm5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 12:24:50 AM »

I seem to have a knack for computers and would be interested in learning more about them.  What particular jobs are out there and what would I need to learn? Might be a fun skill to pick up even if the job ends up sucking ;)

ddm5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 12:28:25 AM »
How did you get enough rental properties to generate that kind of income at that age and with an MBA (which was surely costly?)

Are there any large risks you're not accounting for?

MBA was in state tuition from a state school.  I worked throughout the entirety of undergrad and grad school.  Yes, I am burnt out.  Way, way burnt out.  I have a small student loan still, which I use as a tax shield.  It's $100 a month and has a rate of 4% or so after discounts IIRC.  Large risks?  Possibly, that's why I try to follow mustachian principles and live well beneath my means.  I also have a boatload of insurance and multiple LLCs, that's about the best I can do.

I think your second post covers this, but most of it was generated in a giant spurt in a few months from internet marketing.  I also had $70k or so saved up, and a house.