Author Topic: Where to eat in NYC  (Read 13307 times)

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
Where to eat in NYC
« on: November 23, 2014, 02:31:16 PM »
I will soon be traveling to NYC for a week of vacation and would love any restaurant/ foods suggestions for while there.

I am a foodie so I will be splurging a bit on some meals but would also like to hear some suggestions on some affordable but delish places as well.

MMMdude

• Bristles
Re: Where to eat in NYC
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 02:53:46 PM »
We stayed in Harlem which was completely awesome and 10 minute express subway to Manhattan - whenever we told people that they were horrified that we stayed there (meanwhile they paid $300+ per night to stay near Times Square....no thanks).  Anyways if you are in that area there is a place called Dinosaur BBQ which is amazing.  Also there was an Italian place in about same area called Pistici - some of the best past we ever had and went there twice in the week we were there.  Also heard amazing things about Maison Harlem but never got around to it.  Red Rooster is world famous and very near the Apollo Theater but again didn't get to try that one either.

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 04:50:09 PM »
Awesome. This is a pretty great time of year to visit NY.

There are obviously tons of outrageously expensive restaurants, but there are plenty of gems that are perfectly affordable. Here are a few of my favorites:

* Caracas: A Venezuelan Arepa bar in the East Village. Spring for the chips and guac. They're plantain and taro chips and guacamole. Really good.
* John's of Bleecker Street: Some of the best pizza in the city—and it's pretty cheap. You'll have to buy a whole pizza, so may not be a great option if you're going by yourself. But if you've got a group, John's is excellent. It's near the West 4th subway stop in the West Village.
* Speedy Romeo: This one's in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. It's a little more expensive than the previous two, but it's worth checking out. They have a "chocolate cake" dessert that's probably better described as a giant s'more. It's damn good.
* Baohaus: A tiny Taiwanese restaurant that serves little Bao sandwiches. Everything they've got is really good. The sandwiches are pretty small, so it's a good option for a quick snack.

Enjoy the vacation!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »
My husband was a native New Yorker, retired NYPD. Whenever we weren't actually having a meal with relatives, he would always want to just grab a couple of hot dogs off the carts. You could do that for your "cheap" or "in a hurry" meal, and then just try different restaurants for other meals. I've eaten in a million different places, truthfully never had a bad meal--would suggest just experimenting. The menus are usually posted outside, so you know the prices before going in. When I'm in a museum like the Met or the Natural History museum, I like eating in their restaurants.

Franklin

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 01:21:48 PM »
Ivan Ramen Slurp Shop...Everyone eats ramen noodles, right?  In this place it's bad form to eat quietly.  Here is the website:

http://www.ivanramen.com/en/ivan-ramen-slurp-shop/

yoga mama

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »
I lived in NYC for several years and we are going back to visit soon!  Here are the places we can't wait to visit:
-Despana - Sandwich shop in Soho, delicious spanish sandwiches.  Perfect for a picnic or when you are flying and want to bring your lunch.
-Great Jones Cafe - if you like wings, you have to try them.  They are very differently flavored from the traditional buffalo style hot wings but soooooooo good.  The rest of their food is good but may not be worth going out of your way for.
-Sigiri - Sri lankan food on 1st Ave.  Super delicious but very spicy.  I like super spicy food and I am usually good with medium here.
-Luke's Lobster.  They have several locations now.  Lobster roll.
-If you're up for a splurge, Gramercy Tavern (reservations fill up way in advance but you can often get a seat in the bar area, especially right at opening time) and ABC Kitchen are both amazing but pricy.
-Celeste - Italian restaurant on upper west side.  So good.
-Agree with Caracas Arepas in east village. 
-Radegast - German beer garden in Brooklyn.  It gets crazy at night but we loved going there for brunch. 
-Porchetta - pork sandwiches in east village.  They are so yummy and very heavy. 

A couple of tips in case you haven't been to NYC:
-I totally disagree with grabbing a hot dog at a food cart.  I found the majority of the food carts to have stale, bland food.  Of course food carts are a big thing now, so the fancy ones with well planned graffiti  and extensive menus are usually better.  That's just my own experience, I might have just hit the wrong ones.
-Carry plenty of cash.  There are lots of restaurants, especially if you stray from the beaten tourist path, that don't take plastic.
-Soda refills are often not free.  I don't drink soda but friends that visit from other places were always shocked about this.  Stick with water and save your $$.
-You are probably already aware of it but check Yelp for recommendations near wherever you're staying or visiting!  Most of the restaurants there have hundreds of reviews, just as a function of having so many people there (both locals and tourists).  Read through the reviews and trust the locals over the tourists.  Just my opinion. :)

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »
It's been a while since I've been to Manhattan, but the last time I went I had an amazing meal at a restaurant called Butter. It was NOT cheap, but it was divine. As you might imagine, they make their own bread and herbed butter which is delicious. SO GOOD.

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
If you're not up for traveling out to Flushing for Chinese, find a Manhattan outpost of the takeout place called Xi'an. They started in Queens but are all over the city now (Chinatown, Upper East Side, Upper West Side, East Village, Williamsburg). They specialize in northwestern Chinese food, which involves cumin, lamb and hand-pulled wheat noodles. They make a lamb sandwich that is a fantastic on-the-run meal. Also, the lamb with noodles is tasty and spicy (I forget which dish I always get; I just look at the picture on the wall.) It's not expensive.

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 06:13:20 PM »
Hey there @serpentstooth, I'm glad you second Xi'an! One thing though -- I just checked their website and it looks like the Midtown restaurant is closed temporarily because of a gas leak. The OP might want to verify via the website before going.

alice76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »
I live in NYC and agree with Pisticci, Red Rooster, Dinosaur BBQ, Veg Dim Sum, Gramercy Tavern ($$$$, years ago way before MMM was in my life- these days I'd prob skip it), Porchetta, Luke's Lobster, and Celeste. I would add for excellent relatively cheap eats:

-Setagaya (ramen house) 34 st marks pl (2/3) order the shio ramen- quick lunch or dinner
-Cafe Asean (Thai) W. Village-- nice ambiance for dinner and great, relatively inexpensive entrees and cocktails
-The more casual David Chang place in the East Village for pork buns-- will think of the name...
-Russ & Daughters (famous bagels and fish)-- order the Super Heeb for an
unforgettable Lower East Side breakfast
-J.G. Melons (burgers) Upper East Side- if you're on Museum Mile and want a delicious affordable dinner, head to this gem on 3rd Ave.
-Maison Kayser (French bakery and lunch) UES- ditto but for bfast or lunch.

I could give you neighborhood specific recommendations if you know where you're staying, too.

alice76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 06:19:49 PM »
Momofuku!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
I enjoyed the Smorgasboard tho might be closed now. I've always wanted to go to the Mile End Deli. I almost went but then hurricane sandy happened.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 08:18:28 PM »
If you click through to the article referenced in this thread, there are a lot of restaurants mentioned.

Apparently, brunch places are good in NYC.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/21-nyc-women-confess-the-dumbest-thing-they-spend-their-money-on/

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 08:25:35 PM »
If you click through to the article referenced in this thread, there are a lot of restaurants mentioned.

Apparently, brunch places are good in NYC.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/21-nyc-women-confess-the-dumbest-thing-they-spend-their-money-on/
Brunch is this weird NYC institution I've never understood, but the food isn't very good. Many places offer free or unlimited booze and that's the main draw I think. I used to work at a nice place that offered brunch and I ate pretty much everything on the menu. It was underwhelming.

Well, that's disappointing. There is this one place in Dallas called the Hotel Intercontinental that has an amazing brunch. I've only been like once or twice (both times with my husband, but before kids, and as guests of parental units). It was like $50 a person (over a decade ago). There were at least 6 or 7 different stations. One for pasta, one for eggs/omelets/pancakes/waffles, one for desserts, one for like roast/potatoes/mac and cheese, another for sushi, etc. Holy cow, it was delicious. And it took hours. You basically went back through like three or four times until you could literally fit nothing else in your stomach.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »
Amazing thin crust pizza, Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint Brooklyn. The wait is loong so put name down and then go get a drink somewhere else. You can take the ferry there from Manhattan which is fun. Also, Bun-ker (Vietnamese) in Ridgewood Queens is amazing I've heard. Haven't made it there yet. Take Uber or something to get there. Authentic Japanese restaurant (in basement of an office building) in midtown is Sakagura. Not crazy expensive. If you want to splurge on sushi there is Blue Ribbon and Nobu of course. Bozu in Williamsburg is good and great vibe for omakasye, not too expensive I think it was $80 a person last time I went?

For Donuts, try Donut Factory, Peter Pan in Greenpoint, Dough -- there are so many good ones!

There is a new whole hog BBQ restaurant in Bushwick called Arrogant Swine. I didn't love it.

I second the Momofuku rec. Must have ramen when here.

thecornercat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »
Have pizza almost anywhere. God, New York pizza. And definitely, definitely have falafel at Mamoun's. I can taste it now...

yoga mama

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 07:00:03 AM »
I thought of a couple more!  David's bagels - they are on 1st Ave but don't know if there are more locations.  I agree, brunch is an institution but I can't think of one place that I absolutely love for brunch.  Penelope in Murray Hill was always solid (brunch) although probably not worth going out of your way for.  Are you a beer person?  If so, Blind Tiger in the village always has an excellent selection and they have really good grilled cheese and tomato soup!  Also for beer, Pony Bar in hell's kitchen.  Smorgasburg is closed for the season unfortunately but I was going to recommend that. 

What else are you planning to do while there?  This is a great time of year because of the Christmas markets - some of it is the same old stuff, but there are lots of unique gift ideas there.  I actually rarely buy anything but I always find it really fun to walk around in them at off hours (mid-day on weekdays).  There is one in Union Square and also Columbus Circle.

A couple of museums that are great but not as well known are the Tenement House Museum in east village and Museum of the City of New York. 

I am really missing my favorite city right now!  Can't wait to go back and spend a very non-frugal weekend there!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 07:07:22 AM »
You MUST get an Italian Special at Faicco's Pork Store in the Village (it's right down the street from John's Pizza, another must visit).  It is the best sandwich you will ever eat.

Agree on Dinosaur BBQ, but I'd also add Shake Shack even though it's getting to be a little bit of a chain.  The burgers are awesome.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 04:14:55 AM »
You MUST get an Italian Special at Faicco's Pork Store in the Village (it's right down the street from John's Pizza, another must visit).  It is the best sandwich you will ever eat.

Agree on Dinosaur BBQ, but I'd also add Shake Shack even though it's getting to be a little bit of a chain.  The burgers are awesome.
I had Shake Shack in DC and was NOT impressed. It's 60% hype, 20% trendy design, 20% food. Definitely average. I was really let down. Five Guys is far superior for the price.

I will say their milkshakes were really good but I'll also say it's not hard to screw up a milkshake and plenty of places have them that for way cheaper. It was like $5-6 for a tiny 8?oz cup.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:16:42 AM by Ricky »

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 07:56:35 AM »
Great, interior, real Mexican -- Hecho en Dumbo (Lower East Side on Bowery).  Great food, atmosphere and cocktails.

Gran Electrica in Brooklyn is another fave, also Mexican -- while all the people are standing in line for pizza at Grimaldi's walk past them to this very cool place (in summer, their outdoor patio, right under the Brooklyn Bridge, is sublime).

Skal, also on the Lower East Side, is excellent as well.

Latebloomer in NY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 08:08:10 AM »
If you are looking for health food (based on user name) I'm not sure if you'd want Italian food. But if you do, I love Monte's in the village. Great neighborhood, excellent food, reasonably priced. I'd also suggest you stay out of midtown for all meals - its a tourist trap.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 08:09:52 AM »

I had Shake Shack in DC and was NOT impressed. It's 60% hype, 20% trendy design, 20% food. Definitely average. I was really let down. Five Guys is far superior for the price.

I will say their milkshakes were really good but I'll also say it's not hard to screw up a milkshake and plenty of places have them that for way cheaper. It was like $5-6 for a tiny 8?oz cup.

Even though I'm closer to DC I've only had Shake Shack in New York.  And Five Guys overcooks their burgers like whoa.  Good fries, though.

K60

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
If you are going to be at Columbus Circle during your stay, try Kashkaval Cheese Market and Wine Bar on 9th Ave betw 55th and 56th.    www.kashkaval.com/‎

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 12:37:03 PM »
Following this thread.  Yum.

FSL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
Pio Pio is delicious (and inexpensive) for peruvian food

goatmom

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 01:10:08 PM »
Well, are there still places that let you BYOB? That always saved us money back in the day.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2014, 11:48:59 PM »
I used to eat at the Dinosaur BBQ up in Syracuse all the time growing up. Had no idea they expanded to NYC, but sounds like they're doing well with it. I second that and Caracas arepa bar as great inexpensive recs. Also, it's almost impossible to go wrong with New York pizza (try Artichoke). But for the most part, I find the  hyped up NY restaurants to be disappointing when visiting there. If they get enough hype, they open up chains elsewhere, often in DC and spread the disappointment there. Momofuku is next - maybe it'll be different.

alice76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2014, 11:04:09 AM »
I second Pio Pio! There are many outposts. The aji (Peruvian sauce for the chicken) is like crack.

jesstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 03:40:51 PM »
Ippuddo for ramen and steamed pork buns! http://www.ippudony.com

beeth_oven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2014, 09:30:56 PM »
Where do you live now, and what kind of foods do you like? If it were me, I'd want more Asian type stuff, and meals I couldn't easily get in my hometown.