Author Topic: Where to buy preventative flea/tick pet medicine online?  (Read 3210 times)

wintertell

• Bristles
Where to buy preventative flea/tick pet medicine online?
« on: July 01, 2017, 10:15:38 PM »
Hi folks - Easy question here.

Where do you get your best deals for preventative flea/tick medicine online? My poodle currently takes HeartGuard and NextGuard, but I know that serious money could be saved if I bought online and generic. However, some sites online sell fake medicine.

So where do you go? What kind of pricing do you get?

Thanks in advance.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Where to buy preventative flea/tick pet medicine online?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 06:04:54 AM »
I've purchased online from several companies depending on best deal I can find at the time: Drs Foster & Smith (2-yr supply of flea/heartworm for $110), California Pet Pharmacy (2-yrs for $114), and most recently Allivet (2-yrs for $90). All have been fine and easy to order.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 06:12:53 AM »
I use Google shopping - put in the medication I want by name (in our case, Soresto collars), then choose the place with the he lowest cost+shipping. This year, that was Walmart; last it was something like PetMeds. XL collars run around $45 each and last 8 months, which gets us through flea season. My heartworm treatment comes from the farm supply store, which you should not try unless you have very large animals already proven to be unharmed by Ivermectin and you know what you're doing in terms of dosage.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 07:26:45 AM »
Costco has the best deal on generic flea and tick meds for cats (PetArmor) - it's as good as Frontline.  Not sure about dogs, but worth checking it out. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:28:37 AM by ZiziPB »

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 11:17:55 AM »
I've ordered heart worm medicine and flea/tick meds here :  http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 11:28:48 AM »
I'm a vet in an area with lots of flea issues. I see a lot of flea-bitten pets on PetArmor, because fipronil has been out for many years and there's a lot of resistance. It may work on some flea populations, but not all.

If you're looking for something OTC, I'd go with the Seresto collar. Works well for 8 mos against both fleas and ticks. I'd get HW prevention from your vet - it's not very expensive (since you don't need a combination product that also prevents fleas) and any online pharmacy product could potentially be counterfeit.

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 11:28:59 PM »
I've been using the Seresto collar for my cat since I had a flea infestation last Summer. I got it for around $50 at Rural King.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 06:39:47 AM »
I simply buy from 1800petmeds, currently using Activyl. But I get the extra large dog size and measure out the correct dose for my midsize (50lb) dog. It does require a Rx, but I spoke with my vet about it so that he approved the larger size.

wintertell

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »
Thanks everyone! I did the price research and it was actually cheaper to just get it at my local vet's.