Author Topic: Where to buy clothes for a guy (also looking for tall clothes)  (Read 10594 times)

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Where to buy clothes for a guy (also looking for tall clothes)
« on: February 25, 2015, 01:48:06 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if there's a good place to shop for men's clothes (especially tall clothes) with reasonable prices. Not looking for dress clothes (like from a tailor), just regular clothes. The consignment stores I check don't really have much other than the occasional brands that are just naturally taller. I'm mostly looking for shirts. Not a lot of stores carry tall! They just have ordering which costs a lot plus shipping.

Any pointers are appreciated.

GreenHorn101

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Where to buy clothes for a guy (also looking for tall clothes)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »
Jcrew Outlet store is a decent choice. They have size tall and the quality is not bad imo. I have bought shirt and sweater from their online store for less than $20.

They have discount most of the time. Just keep an eye out!

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »
Jcrew Outlet store is a decent choice. They have size tall and the quality is not bad imo. I have bought shirt and sweater from their online store for less than $20.

Oh okay, I will definitely check this out. I've always written off JCrew thinking they sell $30-$60 shirts...

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 02:22:59 PM »
I just bought some good clothes at affordable prices from Burlington Coat Factory.  Dress shirts, ties, socks, belts, blazers, winter coat, vest, suit, jeans, and a couple hats for about $500.  Pretty much my years clothing budget but living in a city with no men's store its best to buy a lot when I travel.

GreenHorn101

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 02:30:50 PM »

Oh okay, I will definitely check this out. I've always written off JCrew thinking they sell $30-$60 shirts...

keep in mind that I am referring to Jcrew Factory. it's their outlet store and it is alot cheaper...  regular jcrew is expensive!

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 02:37:15 PM »
My favorite place to buy clothes at a good price is Twice. They are an online secondhand store, and they have very high standards for what they buy. I also feel they are an excellent deal. I have bought many pants and shirts from them. I think you get 50% off your first order too. www.liketwice.com/BfxKb

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 02:41:30 PM »
I'm 6/4 i buy clothes at JC Penney and kohls ... you can usually get some good deals on jeans with 10 off 25 at jc penney and all the deals kohls runs.  Levi online runs deals every now and again too.  slickdeals is your friend if you need clothes.  i get jeans for 5-10 and dress pants in the same category usually.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 02:42:42 PM »
What sizes are we talking? Are you 6'3 and 200 like my father? Are you 6'6.5 and 180 like my brother?

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 02:43:07 PM »
I've had this problem too.  I'm 6'4 180lbs, so tall and thin, and I rarely find shirts long enough that are reasonably priced.  Now if I put on an extra 100 lbs, there's plenty of big and tall...

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 02:43:59 PM »
yeah if you get over 6'4 i can see finding shirts in tall and issue but kohls and penneys and sometimes macy's has them.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 02:48:11 PM »
Yeah I'm 6'3"-6'4"

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 02:52:53 PM »
I've had this problem too.  I'm 6'4 180lbs, so tall and thin, and I rarely find shirts long enough that are reasonably priced.  Now if I put on an extra 100 lbs, there's plenty of big and tall...

That's been my issue as well at 6'4" and I used to hover ~180 for many years.  "Big and Tall" usually means BOTH, not EITHER...  Though recently I've put on a bit of weight (I'm working out and was drinking a GOMAD) so I'm finally up to 200lbs now.

I've heard Gap also has tall sizes, though I've yet to check them out.  I used to love Express jeans, but I almost cried when they discontinued 36L.  Lucky Brand has tall sizes too. 

What works for me is to find a size I like in a BRAND I like, then buy it used on Ebay.

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 02:53:37 PM »
What size are you looking for?  XLT is fairly common.  I've found a few LT things around locally.  I'll buy polos and whatnot when they go on sale for under $10.  I can't find crap at Goodwill.  I'm typically XLT now a days.

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 02:56:56 PM »
On a side note, clothing manufacturers are dumb.  Last time I bought a dress shirt, it looked like a tent on me, because that was the smallest sized neck that would fit around my neck.  I bought waders for fishing, and some idiot thinks that shoe size is directly proportional to waste size.  My size 16 feet means that my waders are like 6x.  I swear to God, these things could fit three of me in them.  Even before I lost 100lbs, I was swimming in them.  Now, they're practically unusable.  Unfortunately, they were the only company that made waders in size 16 last I checked.  Morons all of them.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 04:47:42 PM »
What size are you looking for?  XLT is fairly common.  I've found a few LT things around locally.  I'll buy polos and whatnot when they go on sale for under $10.  I can't find crap at Goodwill.  I'm typically XLT now a days.

Strictly looking for LT.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 05:01:24 PM »
I have found some LT at Old Navy.  If you wait for sales it's not bad :)

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 05:10:33 PM »
Checked out JCrew Outlet. Some good prices on LT. Old Navy is decent too.

Rpesek6904

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 05:24:57 PM »
6'4, 200 lbs - I like Vanhusen. They have "fitted" shirts that fix the fat shirt problem. Not expensive either.

Krnten

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »
Seconding Old Navy.  eBay for Levi's jeans if you can't find your size on other sites.  My husband is 6'10" and thin.  I used to think Rochester big n tall was the only option, and old navy was a revelation.  Also dry cleaners often tailor.  So if you have to go xlt you can get thrm altered to fit.  Marshalls and burlington can have good finds too.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 06:52:18 PM »
I'm 6'5" and wear a L-T.  A few places I find clothes
LL.Bean (especially their "two-a-day" sales + sale section).
Gap/Gap Factory
J.Crew Factory and J.Crew Sale (sometimes find their $70 dress shirts for $20-25 in limited sizes)
Eddie Bauer

g'luck

data.Damnation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 07:39:11 PM »
The Eddie Bauer clearance rack is always full of those damned LT shirts.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 07:45:01 PM »
JC Penney has quality basics, if you can't find what you want online, their telephone catalog folks will help you special order. That's how my brother brother gets his 36L 30W Levi Jeans. Frankly, though I shop for 34x34/LT stuff online via JCrew, Land's End, Eddie Bauer sometimes old navy. It's reasonably priced especially if you watch for sales, sign up for codes via email, etc. You just have to specify Tall.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 08:09:03 PM »
H&M has really good stuff for cheap. I also briefly checked out Boohoo.com, though haven't ordered yet.

I tried J Crew Factory, not a huge fan.

If you're Mustachian and insist on cheap clothing, leave your ethical judgement at the door.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 12:12:15 AM »
Best I've seen so far is JC Penny. JCrew has a few things, not a whole lot.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 08:47:29 AM »
Do you guys look for tall slim? I'm seeing JCPenney's large tall section and it looks like the shirts are designed for bulkier people. I'm only about 6'3" 175 lbs. The JCrew Factory shirts look more slim.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 11:04:56 AM »
Do you guys look for tall slim? I'm seeing JCPenney's large tall section and it looks like the shirts are designed for bulkier people. I'm only about 6'3" 175 lbs. The JCrew Factory shirts look more slim.

JCrew Factory shirts are more slim than the ones by JC Penney. Have a look the sizing charts and use a trusty tailor's tape to give you a better feel for things.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 11:25:35 AM »

JCrew Factory shirts are more slim than the ones by JC Penney. Have a look the sizing charts and use a trusty tailor's tape to give you a better feel for things.

Yep, I see that now, thanks!

I'm going with JCrew factory and ordering about $100 worth of LT stuff. There's an extra 30% discount going on which is nice! JCPenney has decent selections but I worry about them fitting right. Next I'll be checking out Eddy Bauer stores for those LT clearance racks.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 01:08:10 PM »
If you order from JCP online, you can return in store to avoid paying return postage.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 01:59:09 PM »

I'm going with JCrew factory and ordering about $100 worth of LT stuff. There's an extra 30% discount going on which is nice! JCPenney has decent selections but I worry about them fitting right. Next I'll be checking out Eddy Bauer stores for those LT clearance racks.

Jcrew has an ebate if you use it extra 1.5% CB

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 10:37:35 PM »
A spendier option is Nordstrom. The good news is that they generally don't charge extra for tall sizes. You might look on line and at the Nordstrom Rack stores as well. I sold Men's Clothes there for a decade back before the turn of the century (lol!). I specialized in tall guys because they were LOYAL and we were all on commission. My dermatologist (16 1/2 x 38) jokes that he switched to scrubs after I left Nordstrom because he couldn't get dress shirts any more. Lands End and LL Bean are good options too.

stor_stark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 10:49:14 PM »

Just so you know, J Crew Factory pretty much always runs sales online ranging from 20-50% off depending on the time of the season.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 11:02:42 PM »
I've shopped at Nordstrom Rack before. They had great shoes for reasonable prices for size 13.

ClovisKid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 02:01:33 PM »
+1 for Old Navy
Sign up for their email and you will be notified of some awesome deals they have (often 50% off or more). There's never a reason to buy at full retail. IMHO, they are a great Mustachian store. Their brick and mortar places don't carry tall, but they carry tons of tall and slim stuff online that they don't carry locally. I'm a tall, lean, and frugal dude, and I do almost all my clothes shopping there. The quality of their stuff has improved dramatically over the years too.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 07:20:45 PM »
My husband is 6'3" and the best stores we've found are:
-Kohl's
-The Gap sale rack. Their shirts are usually pretty long in the torso and their pants/jeans are the only ones he wears. Their sales are epic and we've gotten $4 shirts and $8 pants at the factory store clearance rack (be prepared for some odd colors, but who cares, they're just colors).
-J Crew, as others mentioned, is very long in the torso. He has a Medium Tall shirt from there that fits him better than anything ever has. Funny enough, we didn't buy the shirt--we found it in a pile of give-aways on the side of the road. Total frugal score.

By the way, what is it with shirts not being long enough for you tall guys? It's an endless battle for us. Shirts are either billowy huge (for big and tall) or too short to tuck in. Regarding LL Bean, we found those tall shirts to be too big--is there a different sizing for just tall shirts there?

Has anyone found good tall (not big) undershirts? My poor husband's undershirts are all woefully too short (I think they're a size M or L Hanes).

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 12:41:41 PM »
I have found some LT at Old Navy.  If you wait for sales it's not bad :)

I was going to mention the same. Old Navy has Big and Tall sizes (not the same) online. You can frequently find 30% off coupons. Free shipping over $50. Free returns to the store or by mail.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 03:09:45 PM »
-J Crew, as others mentioned, is very long in the torso. He has a Medium Tall shirt from there that fits him better than anything ever has. Funny enough, we didn't buy the shirt--we found it in a pile of give-aways on the side of the road. Total frugal score.

Medium Tall was all sold out on the JCrew factory site. I figured I'd go with Large Tall and have them tailored for a few dollars apiece if they're way too big.

Has anyone found good tall (not big) undershirts? My poor husband's undershirts are all woefully too short (I think they're a size M or L Hanes).
I found mine at TJ Maxx. I think the brand is Nautilus. Ask to try them on in the store - they should be able to let you.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 07:09:30 PM »

Medium Tall was all sold out on the JCrew factory site. I figured I'd go with Large Tall and have them tailored for a few dollars apiece if they're way too big.

I found mine at TJ Maxx. I think the brand is Nautilus. Ask to try them on in the store - they should be able to let you.
Speaking of tailoring, I know you didn't ask about suits, but we got my husband's suit (he only owns one) from the online tailor Indochino, which was fantastic and only $400. You send in your exact measurements, so it's actually made to fit and the jacket doesn't look like some huge mob boss jacket :). He went with a pretty slim fit and then had a tailor take it in a bit. Highly recommend it if you need a suit.

Thank you for the tip on undershirts! We've been trying to find long ones for years.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 08:17:35 PM »
One of my last boyfriends was 6'8" and about 170 lbs.  That's a hard size to buy.  He had really good luck at the Gap outlet stores.  I think it must be similar to the JCrew Factory store, where when Tall sizes are bought online and returned to stores, they are automatically sent to the outlet, since they don't have a section for them. 

If I needed to find a waredrobe, I'd go to an outlet mall and ask the clerks in each of the men's stores if there was a tall section.  (However, I've sworn off outlet malls because that's where I spend my money.)