Author Topic: Where does a skinny mustachian man buy jeans?  (Read 5063 times)

Bookworm

Where does a skinny mustachian man buy jeans?
« on: March 28, 2015, 11:52:56 PM »
My son (16) is starting to outgrow children's jeans, but also seems too small for adult sizes.  He is currently 5'5" and 100 lb., which translates to a 26" waist and 30" inseam.  I found a pair at Target yesterday - which was hard because it was literally the only 26 in the entire store - and he rejected them as soon as I got them home. They were "too big" in the waist (even though I know I measured his waist right) and since they were actually 28" inseam, they left no room in the length for growth or shrinkage. So I took them back today.

Any recommendations from the slender guys about where good jeans can be had for a reasonable price, somewhere with a brick-and-mortar store where he can try things on? My daughters and I have always done thrift stores, but his size is so unusual that I think I've only found one pair of pants for him in a thrift store in his entire life!

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Where does a skinny mustachian man buy jeans?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 12:18:42 AM »
Women's jeans at the thrift store?

Serious suggestion. My rather fashionable (and non-mustachian) younger brother buys women's jeans because there is a lot more choice. Obviously you want to avoid some styles of cut but I would have had no idea until I once noticed that we were wearing the exact same pair of jeans.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 12:20:52 AM »
Feed that kid. ;)

KungfuRabbit

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 05:39:53 AM »
A) food.

B) There are lots of overly skinny middle schoolers these days.  i feel like your best option is some of the hip and trendy places.  Though they will be very far from mustachian. 

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 05:43:15 AM »
Levi's has some pretty good slim straight and skinny jeans. They're reasonably priced and can be found at the aforementioned "hip" places like Urban Outfitters.

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 07:27:43 AM »
H&M-you can order online.  Another brand that has unisex jeans that go down to very small sizes is Cheap Monday.  They're about $70 but you could likely find them on sale.  Super long inseams too.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 08:14:20 AM »
JC Penney will order your odd sizes at no extra cost and they have frequent sales and coupons. Rue21 has skinny jeans (if DS is into that look)  in very skinny sizes sometimes.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 09:07:41 AM »
Trashy-hip stores. The store names vary by region, but I mean the ones with loud music and industrial-chic dressing rooms. The jeans are surprisingly cheap, because they're made of thin fabric and wear out quickly. But that doesn't matter because he'll outgrow them, or wearing ratty jeans will become hip again. You can make them last a little longer by not washing them too often.

And then he can wear almost any low-cost easy-to-find shirt or other upper body clothes, because when you're young and skinny and wearing jeans that fit, you can do whatever the fuck you want.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 01:08:40 PM »
Not cheap, but I bought my 23 year old skinny son jeans at the True Religion outlet mall store. They're expensive (I think we spent around $200 for two pairs on sale) but well made, and trust me, if my fashion conscious son will wear them, they're the ultimate in cool. He'd rather have two pair of high fashion than four pair of Levis. They do come in small waist sizes .

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 02:57:02 PM »
When my boyfriend needs to buy clothing, he checks out the children's section of department stores. Also, his parents sometimes pick things up for him at stores in the Chinese parts of town - they cater to a different body type, so you might find that helpful if there are any Asian-majority areas around you.

epipenguin

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 06:58:31 PM »
Do you have an outlet mall reasonably near you? We find that the small men's sizes are somewhat readily available at the outlets because I guess they don't sell well elsewhere. We'll check pretty much all the stores for him as it's a bit unpredictable what you'll find. Unfortunately, some stores only start at a 32" waist so it's best to ask if you find yourself going through racks of clothing and getting nowhere. My bf has had some luck with Calvin Klein and I think Gap finding 28/30 pants and jeans. He should be a 26/30 but I don't know if I've seen that yet so most of the time he makes do with a belt.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 08:22:08 PM »
Old Navy.

And he may have to have a belt for a year or two.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

astvilla

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 12:22:37 AM »
surprised no one's mentioned thrift stores? the clothes are ridiculously cheap, though your pickings vary every week and it's all chance on what you find, it's pretty mustachian.