Author Topic: Where do you sell used cars?  (Read 1644 times)

4tify

• Bristles
Where do you sell used cars?
« on: August 29, 2020, 04:35:35 PM »
I've sold one car in the past 16 years, last time on Craigslist 3 years ago.

I went big and bought new 3 years ago, but we are looking to go down to one car and bike/hail/walk otherwise.

What's the best place to sell a relatively new car?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Where do you sell used cars?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 04:52:17 PM »
Best is a relative term.

If you want the most money, then someplace like craigslist/Nextdoor/FB marketplace. Private sales. Hassle and a half to deal with and you'll need to handle the title transfers and worry about being scammed if you live in a scammy area. Since you already have experience doing Craigslist, that likely is a good way to go.

If you want easiest, the someplace like Carvana, Carmax or other places that will do a overall check and flat pricing and handle all the paperwork/transferring. You lose money in the deal since they're not going to pay you what you could get on your own, but save in terms of time/hassle.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 10:39:37 AM »
We use Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, letgo , OfferUp and Nextdoor. We have them pay us at a bank to make sure that the money is not counterfeit. Then we sign the title there.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 07:47:50 AM »
I've bought and sold my last two cars on Craigslist. At the time I lived in a dense area (NJ) so there were many listings and I got a good number of replies. For both cars, I spoke to people on the phone first and took cash after showing the car. No hassle. You can meet at a bank or police station if you're worried about being scammed.

ericbonabike

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 06:58:27 AM »
I tried to sell a very nice full size GMC Sierra 4WD.   2012, so older, but only had 75,000 miles on it. 
KBB told me it was worth about 19500.   
I listed it on Facebook and craigslist. 

I got about 5 "weak" offers on Facebook, for between 15k and 16.5k.  I had said "I'll take as low as 17.5k".
Craigslist was even worse, i got scammed by somebody who asked for a title report.  Then sent me to a website to get one.  Their website was buggy, and I figured it out before any damage was done. 

A friend of mine referred me to carvana.  I got on their website and they offered me 20,200 ish.    And I had them lined up to come pick up.  I ended up canceling at the last minute because of personal reasons, and rescheduled a week later.  I had to start the process over from scratch, and guess what...They offered me 21,100ish. 

The best part was, they drove a flat bed to my house, picked it up, and the whole thing took me about 15 minutes.

So, before I got way down the rabbit hole of a private sell, maybe get a quick estimate from carvana or similar website.

researcher1

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 08:07:45 AM »
I've sold one car in the past 16 years, last time on Craigslist 3 years ago.

I went big and bought new 3 years ago, but we are looking to go down to one car and bike/hail/walk otherwise.

What's the best place to sell a relatively new car?

You are leaving out a critical piece of information.  What is the age/make/model/mileage of the vehicle you want to sell?

If it is an older popular vehicle (Honda Civic/Accord, Toyota Corolla/Camry, ect), you can just list it on Craigslist or FB Marketplace and sell it within a day or two.

If it is a newer/more expensive vehicle, then Carvana or other online company is likely ideal.

If it is something unique/desirable, an online auction like Cars & Bids.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 08:15:19 AM »
Facebook marketplace is fast becoming the best option for private party buying & selling of cars.  Craigslist is dying a slow and scammer filled death.

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 12:20:09 PM »
Currently there appears to be a glitch with the new Edmunds buyout software. They offered me 25% over the market value for my car. I drove it down to to Carmax (which bought into Edmunds) and they handed me a check, no questions asked.  Bizarro.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 03:12:07 PM »
Currently there appears to be a glitch with the new Edmunds buyout software. They offered me 25% over the market value for my car. I drove it down to to Carmax (which bought into Edmunds) and they handed me a check, no questions asked.  Bizarro.

I've heard that Carmax has been paying more lately just to get inventory. A friend who got laid off had a leased RAV-4 and Toyota told her it would cost a few thousand to break the lease. She took it to Carmax and they bought it, and she came out with $1400 in her pocket.