Author Topic: Where do you live, what do you consider "cold" as far as exterior temps and . .  (Read 15660 times)

Miamoo

• Stubble
This is what started my post and query . . .

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-to-keep-warm-in-my-apartment/

how to keep warm in my apartment...
« on: Today at 10:00:58 am »

i don't pay for my electricity but don't want to waste electricity either...
so what is a realistic temp that i should try to keep my apartment at?
i have windows all around and a small electric space heater that the land lord gave me....
it's been kind of cold the past few nights but i'm in san diego so that's a very relative statement...

Many of us have considered this a joke.

A heater in San Diego?  Why?  Wimp to the extreme?  No idea what socks are for?  Don't you own blankets?

So . . . in trying to be sympathetic to mashori and others that think 40 Fahrenheit might be cold . . .

Where do you live?  (What region - don't have to be specific) - Me, Northern Illinois.

What do you keep your thermostat at winter/summer?-Winter=62-68 degrees F dependent upon wind and humidity during the day.  55 F at night.  Summer - only turn on the AC when it hits 90F dependent upon humidity.

What do you consider to be hot or cold?  Me-HOT is 80 degrees, cool is 45 degrees F, cold is 0 degrees F.

Your turn . . . ?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:04:10 PM by Miamoo »

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
I just put in an electronic thermostat (should have done it years ago) so I now know that I start to feel cold below about 16 c (61 f) during the day in my house. At night I don't care once I'm under the covers. Maybe 6 to 8 c (43-47 f)?

Thanks to MMM, I've been much more conscious of how I'm staying warm this fall (I live in Newfoundland where it's generally not very warm). Spending more time in sunny windows is good. I understand why cats do it.

mustacheme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I live in western Oregon. Winters and summers are both fairly mild here.
In the past I have kept my house at about 72 farenheit, but am aiming for 68 this year. At night I usually turn down the heater to around 50-55, and use a lot of blankets. I am a total wimp about being too cold, but I do ok with heat. I'm most comfortable in the high 70's, and usually start considering air conditioning when the temps get in the mid 90's.

One thing I am trying this year is thermals under my clothes. I work from home and sit or stand at a computer all day so I tend to get cold really easilly during the day, especially my hands. I am trying to make a habit of getting.up and moving around when I feel cold too, but sometimes that isn't possible if work is super busy.

ASquared

• Bristles
I am in North County San Diego.  Inside this morning was 64.  Cold for me.  70's inside now and hopefully get a bit more heat before tonight.  Have not turned on the heater yet.

Cold - less than 70
Hot - more than 85

I don't have AC by the way - summer sometimes gets up to 83 or so inside.  Not too bad with the windows open. 

epowers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I live in central Illinois. 
I consider cold to be freezing (32 degrees F).  That said, I keep the heat at 64 when I'm home and awake, and 55 when I'm not home or sleeping.
I consider hot to be over 90 degrees F with over 60% humidity.  I keep the AC at 78/80 in the summer.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
I live in Perth, Western Australia. Our Temperature range is 32F (0c) to 104F+ (40+)... similar climate to San Diego. The lower end of the scale is rare, a more normal night time winter temperature might be 42F/6C. We have no heating or cooling and we don't use space heaters as electricity is expensive here and they don't really work very well anyway. We use fans in summer and open the windows. However if I had heating, I would use it if it the outside temperature is at or less than 46F (8C)... because even with socks, sweaters etc, that's pretty cold in the house. We usually end up wearing beanies and ugg boots too! When you are used to warm weather it's hard to handle the cold! I am much better with the heat, as I've never lived anywhere with AC.

Cecil

• Bristles
Vancouver, Canada.

We don't have AC, and summers get up to about 30 degrees (85 F). That's really hot and makes it hard to sleep when the temperature is still above 20C (70F) at night.

I usually wear a tshirt until the temperature drops below 10 degrees outside (50F). Below that I'll wear a coat.

In the winter the thermostat lives at 17C (62F). That's pretty comfy with sweats on.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:14:57 PM by Cecil »

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
I'm in Georgia, anything below 55 is cold.

We live in AIr Conditioned boxes for at least five months out of the tear,

Miamoo

• Stubble
I consider cold to be freezing (32 degrees F).  That said, I keep the heat at 64 when I'm home and awake, and 55 when I'm not home or sleeping.
I consider hot to be over 90 degrees F with over 60% humidity.  I keep the AC at 78/80 in the summer.
I am in North County San Diego.  Inside this morning was 64.  Cold for me.  70's inside now and hopefully get a bit more heat before tonight.  Have not turned on the heater yet.

Cold - less than 70
Hot - more than 85

I don't have AC by the way - summer sometimes gets up to 83 or so inside.  Not too bad with the windows open.

Wow.  Interesting to see what others think, where you all live and the different tolerances.  Live and learn.  Melody, I've always thought of Australia as being unbearably hot.  Had no idea that if you're talking this time of year (October)? we're that similar???

EMP

• Bristles
Depends on when you ask.  Normally I'd say 20 F is a little nippy, but after a string of sub 0 days with 20mph winds it's downright balmy. 

I start getting hot around 85 depending on humidity. 

Miamoo

• Stubble
Depends on when you ask.  Normally I'd say 20 F is a little nippy, but after a string of sub 0 days with 20mph winds it's downright balmy. 

Quite right to bring that up, so true.  Funny how we can acclimate tho.  Didn't MMM write about acclimating to your climate a while back, doing without the AC or some such?  Sweating yer arse off and dealing with it.  Once you're done with whatever the job was, in what you thought was blazing torturous heat, you're done and it is so much cooler and so you don't need to switch on the AC when you get home.

I'm too tired and lazy to look it up but others will know what I'm talking about.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Vancouver, Canada.

We don't have AC, and summers get up to about 30 degrees (85 F). That's really hot and makes it hard to sleep when the temperature is still above 20C (70F) at night.

I usually wear a tshirt until the temperature drops below 10 degrees outside (50F). Below that I'll wear a coat.

In the winter the thermostat lives at 17C (62F). That's pretty comfy with sweats on.

Heh, 30 is really hot in Van? I think we were mid to high thirties with the heatwave this summer, but fortunately for me it wasn't as hot as some years. It stays in the high twenties here overnight (near Ottawa). We have no a/c either (had a window unit but gave it to my wife's work).

I think it was high teens today, I was outside mowing the lawn with my jumper (sweater) on. Should've taken it off... Thermostat said it was about 17 or 18 inside this morning, but it felt cold! I guess it's the same temperature now but as I've just eaten I'm here in just a t-shirt and feel fine. On the edge of chilly but not cold enough to move ;)

We have no heat at the moment - furnace 'repair' guy came and took a part out to replace it, haven't heard from him since.. that was last Friday. Hopefully he comes back! Before it gets down too far... we're skimming along having frost in the mornings.

Soon we'll have snowbanks again :) February is -20 here.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
location: southern Wisconsin, but I just moved here from Ohio two months ago
higher than 90 or lower than 15 makes me think twice about going outside.
upper limit of comfort for inside the house is probably 85 or so. it hasn't gotten there but once or twice and I just stuck it out
I'll probably set the heat at 60 over the winter now that I don't have any roommates to keep happy

airforcestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
We live in Miami, so we are used to hot and muggy.  Today was a pleasant 88 degrees and it should get down to low to mid 70's at night.

Around here, "hot" is around 92 with 80%+ humidity.  It doesn't get much hotter than that.  Cold is anything below 65 degrees.  It was 55 one morning and I actually saw people wearing winter coats.  We've never turned on our heater, but we keep the house about 78 during the day to keep down the humidity in the house.

Financial Threedom

Eastern Canada here.
For heat, it is all about the humidity, but for the average summer day I would say it gets hot around 28 C.  For cold I would say starts to get chilly around 5 C and cold around -8 C and anything after -18 C pretty much feels all the same.  Add in windchill and those numbers change quite a bit. 

For indoors in the summer I only turn on the AC on the hottest days, or when it is really muggy, which was about 12 times this year.  It keeps our main living space a reasonable 22/23 C with 50% humidity on those hot days.  In winter, the programmable thermostats are set at 19C when we are home and 16C at night.

Deano

• Stubble
Southern Ontario...30 degrees with humidity, hot! We use a small window air-conditioner in a "bail-out room" for when things get really crazy. Maybe 5 to 10 nights a year?

Cold? I grew up in Northern Ontario...I remember -38 degrees on occasion. Farenheidt or Celsius, doesn't matter at that temp. In southern Ontario -10 is cold. My thermostat doesn't work I think. 20 celsius in my house is freezing...toque, booties, the works. I think I need to get a new one....

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
I don't even break a sweat below 90 Farenheit inside or out. Don't have A/C, when I did in the last place I rented, it was set at 85 or else it would make me ache. Outside cold is 30's and inside I can't do below 65 without a blanket (though at night while sleeping 60 is perfectly fine). Ask me again at the end of winter and I will probably have a different answer since I do acclimate to temperatures (and I will probably have different thermostat settings accordingly).

I live in Denver, CO so it gets pretty hot but the cold here would make people from Marquette, Michigan laugh (where I went to school, then -20 was cold but you still went about your business).

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
Depends on whether you're talking indoor or outdoor.  Outside, I'd say hot is 90+, cold can be in the teens. but it depends .  I live in northern Nevada, right at the foot of the Sierra Nevada.  I'm at moderately high elevation (~5000 ft), and the humidity is usually low.  In the summer, 90+ in the shade isn't bad at all, while low 80s in the direct sun is a killer.  Reverse is true in the winter: on a sunny day, temperatures in the low teens are fairly comfortable (great for cross-country skiing).  Get a humid overcast or pogonip*, and the same temperature is pretty darn cold.

Indoors, I let my temperature vary a lot.  Summers it runs about 65-75, as I open the windows at night, and good insulation keeps the place cool all day.  (Except in a really hot spell, when it may reach close to 80, and I head for the lake :-))  Winters it'll stay about the same range during the day, depending on the wood stove &c.  At night I let it drop to the 55-60 range, as I think that's comfortable for sleeping.  I keep the thermostat set at 55 most of the time.
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_fog

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
I live in Vancouver, but grew up in the far north where it actually gets cold. I consider below -20C(-4F) to be quite cold, but it never reaches that here. I actually don't set a thermostat at all, I live in an apartment and let it sit at whatever it sits at year round. Well, I open windows in the summer.

Cecil

• Bristles
Vancouver, Canada.

Heh, 30 is really hot in Van? I think we were mid to high thirties with the heatwave this summer, but fortunately for me it wasn't as hot as some years. It stays in the high twenties here overnight (near Ottawa). We have no a/c either (had a window unit but gave it to my wife's work).

I think it was high teens today, I was outside mowing the lawn with my jumper (sweater) on. Should've taken it off... Thermostat said it was about 17 or 18 inside this morning, but it felt cold! I guess it's the same temperature now but as I've just eaten I'm here in just a t-shirt and feel fine. On the edge of chilly but not cold enough to move ;)

We have no heat at the moment - furnace 'repair' guy came and took a part out to replace it, haven't heard from him since.. that was last Friday. Hopefully he comes back! Before it gets down too far... we're skimming along having frost in the mornings.

Soon we'll have snowbanks again :) February is -20 here.

34 is the all-time record high in Van, and summer temperatures are generally in the mid-20s. I think the high today was about 12.

We get the ocean air all year which keeps things milder in the winter too. Every couple years we'll have a cold snap that drops to -10, but usually -5 is the lowest we get all year.

mc6

• Stubble
Where do you live?  DC, but originally from the Midwest, with 5 yrs in an exotic desert.

What do you keep your thermostat at winter/summer?  Winter=72-68.  Summer=72-74, I can do without the aircon until it's bedtime. 

What do you consider to be hot or cold?  32 is cold to me, 100 is hot.

rocklebock

• Stubble
When I lived in Chicago, under 30 was too cold, and over 90 was too hot. Thermostat set to 68 in winter, 82 in summer - this was pre-mustachian days. I've been in the Pacific Northwest for 3 years, and already it seems like low 40s is too cold, and mid 80s is too hot. Heat is on only when we're at home during the day, and it's set at 62. There's a space heater for the bedroom in the dead of winter. No a/c, but the summers here are so mild that no one really considers that a hardship.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
I can't imagine living in Perth without heat! Australian houses are the least insulated on earth.

It's pretty tough... but it's a rental so we don't really have an option. Our lovely low power bills are *almost* worth it though!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
I grew up in Northern Ontario.  Winters had temperatures around -20 (-4 F) from the end of December to early February.  -40 (-40 F) was pretty common.  Now I live in Southern Ontario where it rarely dips much below -20 in the winter.

I've never been used to heat though.  Anything over 34 degrees (93F) with humidity is miserable to me.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Minnesota

Hot: >90F
Cold: <5F

In the summer if its hot or really humid I keep my thermostat at 78, mostly to reduce the humidity.  With a ceiling fan on above the bed sleeping in a dry heat even in the 90's is tolerable.

In the winter I keep the thermostat at 65 when I am home, 55 during the day, and 60 when I am sleeping.

And just to share some badassity, I went to college in grand forks, ND where -20 and colder are normal for a few weeks in the winter, along with winds commonly reaching 20-30 mph on a daily basis.  I would walk to 1 mile to school and walk that mile back in these conditions.  Only twenty minutes or so, but it sure made the 55 I kept my apartment seem like a sauna.  Being a poor college student makes you tough, I am a wimp now.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
I can't imagine living in Perth without heat! Australian houses are the least insulated on earth.

It's pretty tough... but it's a rental so we don't really have an option. Our lovely low power bills are *almost* worth it though!

Also in Perth. Moved to a bigger house at the end of June, just before the cold wet weather. Massive gas and electricity bill! Got a goose down doona now, it made a huge difference. Need to check if this place is insulated and then work out how to convince the landlord it's a good idea to install it. Heaters, oil column and a small gas one, ran a lot between July through mid September, have not been touched since. The weather must have tipped up to my comfort level.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
I'm in Houston, Texas, so the heat/humidity tends to be super bad, and the winters mild. I'm from Kentucky originally, so I was used to normal weather - 4 seasons with snow in the winter - so living down here was an adjustment.

I personally would rather be cold than hot, so I don't really set the heat up too much, but I live with a native, so it gets cranked up higher than I'd like. In general, we turn on the heat when it's below 45˚F outside, and keep it set to around 65˚F inside. I do find that the longer I've lived here, the lower my tolerance is becoming for really cold temps (below freezing)... and I'm not happy about that.

We could not live here without air conditioning tho. It gets over 100˚F with humidity in the 90th percentile and it's miserable from May through September most years.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
Fairbanks, Alaska.  Anything -40 or colder is capital-C Cold.  Anything warmer than that is "cold" only in a relative sense, as in "colder than yesterday".
We get about a 140 degree F temperature swing (over 70 degree swing, C).  This summer we had a record breaking more than 35 days over 80F (26C) and all air conditioners and fans in town sold out quickly.  We even tied the record high at 93F (33C).  Unbearable, but mostly because it's always sunny out at that time of year so there's no relief at night.  It'll be a high of 85 during the day and a low of 80 at night.  Blech.  I consider anything over 75F to be too hot, but don't seem to have a "too cold" setting, since I just throw on more clothes.  (Thermals FTW!)
Also, the temperature swings can be massive here.  This past spring it was snowing one Saturday and the next Saturday was 80.  No humidity, though, and not much wind.
One of my brothers lives in LA so we frequently play the "what's your temp?" game with each other.  I shudder at his 110, he shivers at my "only -20 today".  We both laugh at the fact that my "unbearable" temperature is when he starts wearing long sleeves.
As for house temps, our heat is currently paid for as part of our rent, and a bone of contention, since he wants it at 73 and I want it at 68...I'm pregnant, so for now I win.  Also, that's what the thermostat says but our place is a sieve, so who knows what it really is in other parts of the apartment? maybe 5ish degrees colder, depending on the room?
When we had to pay for heat we kept it at 65 when we were both home and awake (again, leaky cabin so the heater was constantly running at that temp in a vain effort to keep the entire place that warm, so probably closer to 50 if you weren't directly next to the heater) and 50 at night (probably around freezing in our sleeping loft).  I know it was cold enough in there that the sheets we hung over the window above our bed froze to the window.  My in-laws bought us an electric blanket so we turned that on for 10-15 minutes before getting into bed, just long enough to make everything nice and warm, then it got turned off and our massive pile of blankets kept us (and the dog) warm enough.  In some ways, I miss those days.

Jamesqf - do you really get ice fog in Nevada?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Quote from: Melody on October 11, 2013, 03:38:35 am

Quote from: SnackDog on October 11, 2013, 02:52:09 am

Also in Perth. Moved to a bigger house at the end of June, just before the cold wet weather. Massive gas and electricity bill! Got a goose down doona now, it made a huge difference. Need to check if this place is insulated and then work out how to convince the landlord it's a good idea to install it. Heaters, oil column and a small gas one, ran a lot between July through mid September, have not been touched since. The weather must have tipped up to my comfort level.

Wow, I would never have thought someone would find Perth cold! I wear socks around the house in winter... that's my one concession to the cold. Summer, on the other hand...

ender

• Walrus Stache
location: southern Wisconsin, but I just moved here from Ohio two months ago
higher than 90 or lower than 15 makes me think twice about going outside.

This is pretty much the same for me in Iowa.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
Toronto, Canada

4 mths of very cold winters
4 mths of hot summers
4 mths of cool spring/autumn

Yeah, doesn't help with the gas/electricity bill.  Although we do have ceiling fans in almost every room which helps lower the use of A/C.  Winters can't be helped... although we do use our fireplace (wood)  and don't crank the heat too high.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Toronto, Canada

4 mths of very cold winters
4 mths of hot summers
4 mths of cool spring/autumn

Yeah, doesn't help with the gas/electricity bill.  Although we do have ceiling fans in almost every room which helps lower the use of A/C.  Winters can't be helped... although we do use our fireplace (wood)  and don't crank the heat too high.

Very cold?! Paugh! Ya don't even need snow tires down there! ;)

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
Minnesota

Hot: >90F
Cold: <5F

Also in Minnesota, and I'm a bit more sensitive to heat than cold, so I'd say over 80 is "hot" but "cold" doesn't really bother me that much since I dress for it. I can almost always add another layer of clothing and be relatively comfortable. We don't control the heating in our apartment, nor do we pay for heat, and I'd prefer that it be much cooler than it is (it's sort of a default setting of "on" or "off" and can get into the 80s pretty regularly, so we leave our windows cracked pretty much all winter). A/C we turn on when we're home/asleep and set to about 74, which for our small place ends up being about $55 in the summer vs. $35 in the winter. The $20 for 3 months is worth it.

onehappypanda

• Stubble

This is pretty spot-on for me, I'm in Ohio. But as someone pointed out, it depends on when you ask. If you ask me after a big winter cold snap, I'll say 30 degrees F feels pretty balmy.

In Ohio, this is absolutely true: http://cdn.twentytwowords.com/wp-content/uploads/Temperature-is-relative-634x823.jpg

kmm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I live in Boston. I don't mind heat and can do without A/C until inside temperatures reach the high 80s. But I get cold easily, and I hate to be cold, so I keep the thermostat between 68-70 in the winter. This can lead to some pretty high heating bills, but the tradeoff in comfort is worth it for me.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
I'm in Beijing, after 6 years in tropical/semi-tropical Asia.

Cold for me = under 70F, depends what I'm wearing
Hot = over 95F - dry heat, we're near the Gobi

In the past we've only used the city's free ('free' $-wise, but you breathe in loads of extra coal from the power plants) heating, which starts in late Oct/early November, and goes till March. Hardly use air-con at all, only when my better half starts getting insufferable from the heat, at say 85+F. Fans usually do the trick.

But we've just moved into a home in the hutongs (Beijing's old city) which won't have free heating. We won't turn ours on till the rest of the city gets theirs, though. Just bundle up a lot and snuggle under the covers. Also, there's a huge range of clothing - thick tights and leggings and sweaters for a dollar to five - available from street markets which help to keep you warm.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
Raleigh, North Carolina

Cold = below 32 F
Hot = Above 95 F (and humid)

Anything in between is just varying degrees of "okay".

Inside temps are 76F day, 73 F night in summer, and 70 F day, 65 F night in winter.  Comfortable temperature is worth spending money for us.  Combined with me liking cool temps, and Mrs RootofGood liking warm temps.  We compromise around the 70-76 range. 

Aloysius_Poutine

• Stubble
Vancouver Island
Cold = below 5 C
Hot = above 25 C

My building fees include heat and hot water so we set the thermostat to 70 F.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
Lexington, KY

Interior t-stat temps:
76 in summer
67-68 in winter

My heating and cooling for a 2500sq ft home is under $100!

Cool is 50's
Cold for me is 45* or less
Ideal is 70's with low humidity (ie: San Diego)
Hot is 90's (with high humidity- although, I did go the Vegas once and it was 123* with no humidity but it was still freakin' hot!--- At night it dropped to a balmy 100*!!!)

I lived in SW FL for a while and interior t-stat was around 80* and it was comfortable.

ritchie70

• Bristles

So true. In spring and fall, 40F feels cold to me. In the dead of winter, I'm running around without a jacket.

For me, 85F or more is hot. I don't mind the heat and it doesn't seem to get as humid here (Chicago suburbs) as it did in Central Illinois where I lived most of my life. Combination of slightly more north and lake effect I assume.

Cold is probably 30 or less.

I'm happy in shorts and a t-shirt down to about 60 then I want more clothes.

I hate to admit that our thermostat is set to 73 when heating and 75 when cooling. It isn't a battle I can win with my wife. It was a challenge to get cooling up to 75; she really wants it at 73 too.

ace1224

• Bristles
i'm in southeastern NC.  to me cold is below 50 and chilly is below 70.  hot is 95 and above.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
Right now anything under 60F is chilly, but in the winter it's more like under 40F. Inside, I keep the thermostat at 60 to prevent condensation etc.

One thing to note is that acclimatization is not just psychological; the body actually produces different mixes of proteins to deal with different temperatures, but only over long-ish periods of time. So people from Florida may actually,  physically suffer more in North Dakota than the natives do in the same weather.

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
Grew up in Chicagoland, live in Milwaukee now.

Cool:40's especially if it's wet (and it always is)

I start to dislike cold around 20F (so all of January...)

Hot around 90, which we fortunately don't hit more than 10-15 days a year.  Again though, it's usually a humid 90, if the air's dry I've broken 100 and felt fine.

jesstach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I live in San Diego too (North County) and haven't used the heat yet this fall. We don't have AC and just use ceiling fans in the summer. Our heating system is terribly inefficient so we don't use it. When it's "cold" overnight (45-50 degrees) we use an electric blanket on low and set 2 electric space heaters on timers to turn on for 1 hour in the morning. It's tough to get out of a warm bed so this helps out :) We also have a fireplace and will light a fire occaisionally to warm up.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
I live in Switzerland and keep my apartment at 18 C during the winter heating season (November-April). In winter cold is below -5 C, in other times below +5 C. Below -5 or above +30 C is pretty rare here (2-4 weeks per year). Good climate mostly, the only complaint is intermediate seasons when it's 0-5 and raining...

TygerTung

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I live in New Zealand, and I reckon that outside anything above 0 degrees C is warm, this is because cycling 0 and above is quite pleasant, and cycling below 0 becomes unpleasant. I dunno how warm the house is, it varies, we use a logburner for heating. 14 and above is good I reckon. I prefer about 18, but it depends on how much effort you are willing to do with regard to stoking the fire.

Meggslynn

• Bristles
I live in central Alberta, Canada.

Anything hot (to me) is over 29 C. (We hit around 33-35C a couple times a year)

Anything cold (to me) is -20 C and colder. (We have a couple days a year we hit -35C)

Really the cold in the winter is completely tolerable you just have to dress properly for it. I always get annoyed when coworkers are complaining about how cold it is but are running around in a hoodie in the middle of winter. It's the dark days in winter that get to me. I need to see the sun! And we get long sunny cloudless days in the spring and summer but winter can drag on due to the short days.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
I live in Saskatchewan.

Cold is -40 celcius, which is minus a million in fahrenheit ;)

I'm such a baby in the cold!!!

kolorado

• Bristles
Gonna post first, and then read the other replies. ;)
Colorado here, the Front Range. I find the upper 80's* to be hot outside. However, if I'm hiking on a clear day, 60* feels hot. It's so open and close to the sun here, it can really bake your skin. As soon as it dips into the 30's* it is cold. I can hardly stand the Winter here. It's only my second in Colorado so maybe I'll get used to it. But last year it was 25* during the day, in the single digits overnight and windy, windy, windy. Running errands is a special kind of torture.
We moved here form Southern NJ. Mild, coastal and humid summer temps felt sweltering hot as soon as it hits 80*. Winter temperatures didn't feel cold until they dipped into the low teens which was very rare or overnight when you wouldn't be outside anyway.
I miss NJ winters.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!