Author Topic: where do you find good appliances?  (Read 5439 times)

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
where do you find good appliances?
« on: June 04, 2014, 09:17:19 PM »
In particular, a dishwasher.  Ours runs...  but doesn't seem to understand the "wash" part.  I'm just trying to find out which one will work well and last.  Having trouble finding a go to site for this kind of stuff.

LowER

• Stubble
Re: where do you find good appliances?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 09:21:39 PM »
I just flushed the plunger portion of my 3 year old Samsung washer that seemed to have bit the dust.  It took about an hour after I found a youtube video on how to fix it.  Expensive washer with a serious design flaw - I know - shocker. 

Can you revive yours?

avongil

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:25:55 PM »
I think  craigslist is your best bet.

We paid 100$ for our 600$ GE dishwasher.   I think they all stink.  Bosch is my favorite though, but just cannot justify the expense considering the smoking deals on craigslist. 

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
I already disassembled the whole washer, cleaned, and put it back together.  Worked ok for a couple weeks then back to junk.

I guess my question is, how do I even know if a $100 washer on Craig's list is any better than what I have?

Is there no place for good reviews from real people? 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:16:03 PM »
I've heard repeatedly that the Bosch dish washers are the bee's knees. 

I think ours is a Maytag and has done well for about 8 years.  Fingers crossed it keeps going, but if not, I'll spring for a Bosh. 

For reviews, you might check out Gardenweb.  They have extensive home forums with lots of people who obsess over things like this.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 02:22:28 AM »
Tried Amazon for reviews?

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 05:53:25 AM »
I've heard repeatedly that the Bosch dish washers are the bee's knees. 

I think ours is a Maytag and has done well for about 8 years.  Fingers crossed it keeps going, but if not, I'll spring for a Bosh. 

For reviews, you might check out Gardenweb.  They have extensive home forums with lots of people who obsess over things like this.

+1 for Gardenweb reviews.  I've had a Bosch and Asko in the past, and they both worked well and were generally quiet.  I've had good luck ordering major appliances on eBay through appliance wholesale sellers (for much less than any local retailers for the same product with manufacturer's warranty), but that might be hit or miss with availability (plus I wanted Bosch which seemed to be priced higher by local retailers).

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 06:49:34 AM »
Well, this likely won't be of much help to you, because I still can't believe it happened.  I recently bought a dishwasher at a yard sale for 40$ to replace my long dead one.  It's a Bosch, and it is really quiet.  I can't say much about wash quality- it's my first working one, and it gets them clean, so I guess it's good.  It really needed some intensive cleaning, though.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 07:12:39 AM »
The hard part about appliance reviews is that model numbers are alphanumeric gobbledygook, and it's often hard to know for sure what's the same model. Check out Consumer Reports at the library. If you see a dishwasher online for cheap, google "dishwasher x problems" etc

Or switch to washing dishes by hand. There are a few times I wish I had a high-heat/sanitizer cycle available, but hand washed dishes are worth the time.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 07:18:25 AM »
Consumer Reports is probably your best bet.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 07:30:42 AM »
I buy appliances from independent stores that sell used appliances. They usually come with a 1-2 year warranty and cost about 30-40 cents on the dollar. I don't do the craigslist thing because there is no warranty.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 07:37:50 AM »
I like Bosch as well but there are other good appliance as peeps have mentioned. Use Consumer reports and since most appliances today are built to last only 7-8 years I usually try to be patient and still buy new but look for scratch and dent sales or show models. You can save alot of money and get the full warranty then.  Stop at different stores like the sears appliance stores and see what there closing out. No reason you cant get a brand new appliance for half the price.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!