Author Topic: Where do you buy your insurance?  (Read 7130 times)

PajamaMama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where do you buy your insurance?
« on: February 21, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »
Where do you buy your insurance? Do you purchase from Geico or other company online or do you go to a local agent - State Farm, Allstate, etc.  We've always gone the local agent route. Just wondering how dependable the online companies are. We usually never have a claim beyond  a cracked windshield. Last year was my first wreck. How does it work with Geico etc. if you have a claim? Is it more or less difficult? Do you insure your house through the same company?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Where do you buy your insurance?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:25:23 AM »
I've used AAA, Progressive and AllState in the past.  Now, we've got everything through State Farm.

lackofstache

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »
I just switched from SF to Geico/Liberty Mutual because of price. I'll re-check annually to see where it's at. Geico seems good for claims, ?'s, etc. I don't care to have a personal relationship w/ an agent unless it's cheaper to do so, some folks do, though.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 12:03:30 PM »
I buy the cheapest place I can find. However my preferences is always to buy from a local agent. I like buying from agent for the same reason I like shopping in my community. I like the money to stay as local as possible.  The agent gets 10% or so. Its also nice to have someone on your side if you have problems.

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »
We went with a local broker. They can shop around for you a little, though they often have ties to specific companies.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 12:33:32 PM »
State Farm, because in over 30 years I have never had a problem and the customer service is excellent.

chucklesmcgee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 12:34:56 PM »
USAA. I pay $~36/month for a $1,000,000 injury/ $300,000 property damage liability policy. Couldn't be happier.

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »

I had AAA but it was always difficult communicating with them because if I wanted to drop my rates I wouldn't get good customer service. I never had claims with them so don't know how they processed that.
I switched to Geico because I can do everything online and their rates were significantly better. In all fairness I did contact AAA first and asked if they could lower my rates and I was very flexible and they really couldn't do much. Then Geico gave me a much lower price, so I took it. Called to cancel AAA and I got someone on the phone that all of a sudden was able to match that price but I was a bit turned off by that point. Been with Geico for a 10 months, very happy.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »
You just have to shop around.  Any big name is probably fine.  Geico is the cheapest for me currently, but I've used Esurance and Liberty Mutual in the past.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 05:27:39 PM »
I saved 64% on car insurance by switching to GEICO.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 05:43:14 AM »
USAA if you are a veteran.

Jules13

• Stubble
    • January Girl
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 07:13:57 AM »
USAA...but I've often wondered if I could do better with someone else.  You can get USAA if one of your parent's were in the armed services as well.  My dad was Air Force, though never served in combat, and I still qualify. 

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 09:35:25 AM »
I have had nearly everything. Right now, GEICO is the cheapest. I have used NetQuote to obtain quotes. I used my MyPoints account to get a bonus, which I exchanged for a gift card worth about $30.
In the past, I have used Dave Ramsey's Endorsed Local Providers. They did all of the work for free.

jamaicaspanish

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 09:41:16 AM »
USAA -  I qualify because of my father's service.
They also post a rebate check each December--be sure to take that into account when price shopping.
If you don't currently own a car, check into their "non driver" car insurance. It costs me like $15 a year while we're overseas, and it allows me to borrow or rent a car and be covered.  It also shows continuous coverage (thus keeping me out of the high-risk pool) for when I return to the States and need it.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »
To clarify, I saved 64% by switching from USAA to GEICO.

PajamaMama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 10:59:55 AM »
To clarify, I saved 64% by switching from USAA to GEICO.

I wasn't sure if that was a joke. You know "Switch to Geico and save 15% on your car insurance". That is crazy. Why so much?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »
I've been with GEICO for over a decade; I do check periodically with other insurances, and no one has been able to beat their rates in my case. Once you've been with any company for a while you end up getting a longevity discount as well, and that makes it that much cheaper. I've had claims too, and had to use their emergency roadside service (it's around $20 a year) and they've been super easy to deal with.

The best insurance for you may not be the same, but it never hurts to check to make sure you're getting the best deal. I used to do so about once a year, but the last couple of years, it's been more like every other year since they've consistently come in way cheaper for me.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 01:48:31 PM »
I check once per year and Liberty Mutual is always the best deal for combined house & cars.  However, we get an extra 10% discount for being state workers.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 02:46:14 PM »
I checked all the usual suspects on line but my agent was able to beat it by a few hundred dollars by going with a smaller local company.  I would definitely recommend checking with an independent insurance agent in addition to pricing it online.  BTW, I work for an insurance company and the price I am getting through the agent is much lower than what I could get from my own employer with an employee discount ;-)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 03:57:35 PM »
We use an agent. Ours was just up and asked people who they used called around and ended up using our Agent who returned us with Secura and was 600$ cheaper than all the rest. I was surprised but been at least 10 years now.

tennisray

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 04:59:10 PM »
I just used Selectquote.com, which is an online broker.  I used them to get my life insurance and they got me the best rate for that.  I have been calling around to the individual insurance companies, but it took a lot of time to get quotes.  I haven't found that they will price match...it seems like it is based on their individual formulas. 

I switched from allstate auto, home, umbrella to Progressive.  Rates going from $2400/year to $2100/year.  I am getting Progressive's "snapshot" to get a lower premium in 6 months (they track you for that time, and since we drive safely, we should qualify for a discount).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!