Poll

Where do you want to RE?

Big City (population ~ 500k or more)
Suburbs
Small Town (population ~ 100k or less)
Rural
Life on the move - RV, Boat, TinyHome, etc
Small City (population ~ 500k or less)

Author Topic: Where do mustachians want to RE?  (Read 11396 times)

jonchappelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Where do mustachians want to RE?
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:29:16 AM »
Along the same lines as this post: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/09/17/a-one-question-survey-who-are-the-mustachians/

Where do mustachians want to retire early? Is this different than your current living arrangement pre-FIRE?

Updated Poll:
If you plan on travelling a lot, choose your home base location.
If you are already retired, choose your current location.
If you are going to stay where you are when you retire, choose your current location.
The difference between a small city and small town is a judgement call. Small towns would be more spread out, Small cities closer together. (Concord NH would be a small city because it is a capitol, but has a population just over 100k.)

Let me know if there are any other options I've overlooked. I still have a few years to plan it all out, but I'm back and forth between small town and rural. I know wherever it is, it must have mountains and trees.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:54:16 AM by jonchappelle »

dude

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Where do mustachians want to RE?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:33:57 AM »
My ideal arrangement would be to live in an affordable city (e.g., Portsmouth, NH, or Portland, ME) for those times when I am stateside (4-6 months), and travel for extended periods of time the rest of the year.

FIence!

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:46:32 AM »
We also plan to have an affordable home base with several months of slow travel through the year.

Maybe it would be helpful to further define "city" versus "small town." There are many places that I would consider small towns, but that are officially "cities" as opposed to village, town, etc. Are you getting at a larger population base, more entertainment, etc. when you say "city"? (I'm thinking of a places like Keene, NH vs. Brattleboro, VT. Keene is technically a "city" while Brattleboro is a "town," yet they seem almost identical lifestyle wise... and I would self-label Keene a "small town.")

ETA: I voted for "life on the move," but it would actually be split between city and life on the move. Wish I could vote twice to reflect that!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:48:14 AM by FIence! »

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:53:50 AM »
My RE location is the Shendoah Valley of VA, probably near Harrisonburg or Staunton.  Unspeakably beautiful, temperate climate, crazy cheap cost of living, relatively liberal as compared to other rural areas, and close enough to drive into DC when you need some culture or an international airport. 

I can't wait!

Mlkmn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:55:09 AM »
Wife and I want to run a farm/retreat/Bed & Breakfast. She likes to grow plants and I like to raise animals, so it works! Rural within biking distance of a town. Or a fairly quick drive to one. Maybe outside a 50k-200k city. Southern Indiana, Eastern Tennessee, Western North Carolina, or Idaho. Pretty close to self sustained.

jonchappelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:55:56 AM »
I've updated the poll to include a small-city option to see the difference between NYC/Vegas and smaller cities. Rough definition of city is where housing is all very close together. I see small towns as having housing more spread out, but still some attractions/activities.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 10:48:31 AM »
We want to retire near our late-in-life son, so we can be involved and help with our future grandchildren. The place doesn't matter. 😊

jjquantz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 10:58:51 AM »
Having lived in all of these settings, we are looking to retire in the suburbs of DC.  Access to cultural activities are key to us (opera, museums, participate in chamber music ensembles).  As much as we liked raising our kids in smaller towns and cities (and as tempting as the climate is in Hawaii) it is our love of Classical music that will keep us near a big city on the East Coast.

Of course, we have been known to change our minds...

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 03:03:36 PM »
We live in Seattle and have no plans to move elsewhere. I would like to spend large amounts of my retirement traveling (cheaply, of course!). It will be so nice to be able to spend a month or two at a time in a foreign country to really experience it without worrying about using up limited vacation days. Even if we do that, I imagine we'll still spend most of our time in Seattle.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 03:23:25 PM »
My RE location is the Shendoah Valley of VA, probably near Harrisonburg or Staunton.  Unspeakably beautiful, temperate climate, crazy cheap cost of living, relatively liberal as compared to other rural areas, and close enough to drive into DC when you need some culture or an international airport. 

I can't wait!

Hey!   I live in Staunton.   And I lurve it.  I used to live in the DC area working in the rat race, and DH and I intentionally took huge income hits to move here, but I don't regret it for a second.   

I plan on RE here (or maybe move a little farther into the mountains where COL is even lower, but still close-ish to at least a small town).

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 06:36:55 PM »

I can't wait!

Hey!   I live in Staunton.   And I lurve it.  I used to live in the DC area working in the rat race, and DH and I intentionally took huge income hits to move here, but I don't regret it for a second.   

I plan on RE here (or maybe move a little farther into the mountains where COL is even lower, but still close-ish to at least a small town).

Born and raised in Lexington, VA myself and I plan to go back when I retire, if not before!  Small city/rural for me!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 06:42:01 PM »
We plan on using vacations over the next decade to scout potential areas. Colorado is my leading candidate right now. I have family there and the 300+ days of sunshine is very appealing.

My wife is fond of Portland. Money allowing, I'm schlepping myself and the kids along with her to a convention in 2015 so we can check it out :)

I love western Maryland, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there full-time. 100 miles is still too close to I-95...

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 06:52:04 PM »
DW + 2 Acres + Bees + Chickens + Garden + 800 Sq. Ft. house + 24x24 shop/garage = Heaven on Earth!

I am surprised by the fairly even spread in the voting (so far, anyway).  Just goes to show that mustachianism/FIRE is possible in many varieties and flavors.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 07:32:39 PM »
N'Orlins or Columbus OH, neither of which I am currently in.

Exprezchef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 10:29:45 PM »
I REALLY want to retire outside of the good ole USA and become an full time expat. My wife and I right now are leaning towards a new life in the Philippines as it would be a very easy place for us to settle into. I do a lot of research on the retiring outside of the US and even subscribe to a magazine devoted to the subject. www.internationalliving.com  The more I research the more I realize the opportunities and excellent quality of life I could have on even a modest RE income in some beautiful parts of the world. My goal would be to sell my house in expensive southern California and pay cash for a condo. overlooking the beach. This would free up more income for doing the things my wife and I love which is international travel and exploration of different cultures. Only a few more years to go!!   

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 10:32:34 PM »
Why not something international?   Costa Rica is more expensive than it used to be, but I'm sure there's some small Oceanside places south of the border where one can pick up a house for $100k or less.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 07:39:50 AM »

I can't wait!

Born and raised in Lexington, VA myself and I plan to go back when I retire, if not before!  Small city/rural for me!

I'm very happy to know that there is a fledgling mustachian community waiting for me when I RE :)

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 09:01:21 AM »
Vast majority of family and friends are scattered throughout St Louis area, so somewhere near them.  I voted suburbs but am open to change in the future.

Side note that suddenly seems relevant in this thread:  living in NoVa, one of my favorite getaways is the Shenandoah area.   Stayed in a cabin with friends last weekend out there.  Even though Skyline Drive was closed, still able to park just off US 211 (Thornton Gap) at the Panorama parking lot and went on the very picturesque Mary's Rock hike to the summit.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 09:03:33 AM »
DW + 2 Acres + Bees + Chickens + Garden + 800 Sq. Ft. house + 24x24 shop/garage = Heaven on Earth!

Do you own a place like this now? I'm looking to do something similar, though I don't know when I'd actually move, whether I'd try to get a job near a place like that, or retire and move out to a place like that. Thoughts?

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
I don't want to move when I RE - I like where I am.  Staying put wasn't an option so I didn't answer the poll. 

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »
Its funny that everyone keeps mentioning the Staughton.    All I can think about when I hear that name is vomit.    I used to fly a daily flight from Dulles to Staughton and I had more people puke on that flight than anywhere else I flew.    We'd hit bad turbulence flying over the mountain no matter what the weather was.    It sure was fun to pull the throttles to idle and drop into that airport though.     Really pretty country.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 09:18:26 AM »
Its funny that everyone keeps mentioning the Staughton.    All I can think about when I hear that name is vomit.

Haha, love the context.  How long is that flight, 15 min?

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 09:40:49 AM »
Yeah, I think it was half an hour, most of which was taxiing.    It was an essential air service flight so we would get paid whether there were people on board or not.     It was a complete waste of tax payer money, but at least I got paid.  I flew some flights in West Virginia that literally were 5 mins long.    We'd brief the takeoff, cruise, approach and landing before we left the airport.    Those were flights where we'd take 3 cities of people to a larger airport though.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 09:46:26 AM »
I'm a city girl for sure, I grew up in a really rural area and I pretty much got my fill of that. I chose small city because where I live now is way too expensive to be a long term home. I like small cities like Seattle, Pittsburgh, even Philly- I don't ever want to need a car for day to day stuff, but it would be nice to live in a city that's small enough to actually buy a place, maybe even have a small yard.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 09:48:13 AM »
I'm a city girl for sure, I grew up in a really rural area and I pretty much got my fill of that. I chose small city because where I live now is way too expensive to be a long term home. I like small cities like Seattle, Pittsburgh, even Philly- I don't ever want to need a car for day to day stuff, but it would be nice to live in a city that's small enough to actually buy a place, maybe even have a small yard.

Maybe we should include population ranges for the options above? I never would've thought of Philly or Seattle as a small city!

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 09:49:45 AM »
Haha, yeah that's fair. I guess compared to where I am now it's small, but you're right probably most people consider those large.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »
After many years of thinking I wanted something rural, and currently living in suburbia (25k pop) to a small city (180k pop), I've decided that my ideal would be a small (southern, for climate & LCOL) college town.  I'd want a college town for some cultural activities that wouldn't normally be found in a small town, to be surrounded by intellectuals, to have the opportunity for further education and/or teaching position, but still small and walkable/bikeable. 
I've come to realize I'm not really a country gal, and living on a small farm probably isn't a good idea for me.  So a small house in the middle of a small town (with room enough for a small garden plot), may be perfect for me.  I'll have to do some traveling around to be sure, but I'm imagining some place in Kentucky, Tennessee or North Carolina.  I love the mountains (but don't necessarily want to live up a mountain) and would be nice to be in weekend getaway distance to some lovely hiking.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »
I could not vote because my wife and I are both city people and enjoy spending time in busy places like Hong Kong, Tokyo, Paris, NYC, but we also enjoy the quiet life in small town Canada or America. Our plan is to have our pied-a-terre in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island and use it as our base during the warm months of the year, to explore the area, do some sailing, and take time to visit friends and family that we neglected for decades. Winters will be spent traveling on the cheap from a semi-permanent base such as Barcelona, Bangkok, etc. and radiate to the neighbouring countries.

jonchappelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
Maybe we should include population ranges for the options above? I never would've thought of Philly or Seattle as a small city!

Good idea. Philly and Seattle are on the big side for me. Otherwise there would only be about 10 US cities that would be considered big! Splitting cities into two categories leaves some room for interpretation, but I'll update the poll with some rough numbers.

Kaminoge

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 09:11:23 AM »
I've spent most of my adult life travelling - a few years at a time in each country. I wouldn't mind doing something similar in "retirement" - I'd still be working to get visas, but I could dial it back quite a lot. But I would also like to have a home base somewhere. Probably in Brisbane (Australia) - i like the laid back vibe of the sub tropics.

HappyMargo

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 06:27:30 AM »
I love where I am now in Colorado!

I voted "small city" because everything I need is within biking & walking distance from my home, plus good public transport if needed.  Loads of outdoor activities in beautiful settings all around! Plus, plenty of social & cultural opportunities with nearby colleges & community support.

We are still working full-time now, but are happy with our location.  Plan on selling house for a town home, so less house/yard maintenance as we age. Climbing ladders to empty out gutters scares the bejeebus out of me!

I just had to promise DH that during *worst* of Colorado winters, we could travel.

JanMN

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 07:42:10 AM »
I'd like a small (re tiny house) in a rural area, and a small (re tiny house) in the big city.  Best of both worlds.

Kristin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 08:24:15 AM »

Do you own a place like this now? I'm looking to do something similar, though I don't know when I'd actually move, whether I'd try to get a job near a place like that, or retire and move out to a place like that. Thoughts?

My wife and I had a small farmette, 3 acres, 1200 sq ft house, barn, pastures, large veggie garden and fruit orchard, and chickens.  We made it work for 3 years, but it was a 1 hour commute each way for both of us to work, and we felt that all of our free time and spare cash went into chores and maintenance.  So we just recently moved into a row home in the city instead.  We would love to get back to a similar lifestyle when we RE, but for us it was just too much while working, and was slowing down our progress towards FIRE.