Author Topic: Where can I find cheap pumpkins  (Read 5975 times)

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
Where can I find cheap pumpkins
« on: October 04, 2014, 12:46:19 PM »
I would like to get pumpkins for my kids for Halloween carving.  Wal mart has them for $5.  I think that is too much.  Any ideas?  Our lions club may have a community varving that is free.  I will check on the date.  Does Aldi have them for under $5?  I have 3 kids.  Thanks!

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Where can I find cheap pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
Any farms near you?  They often sell for less, but they might not be the perfect looking ones that stores have.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 02:28:42 PM »
I actually think the walmart ones are a good deal.  the farmers market near us charges by the pound.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 02:50:16 PM »
An alternative might be to get some sort of funky shaped squash if those are more in your price range.

Decorative pumpkins are more expensive here.  I bought a good size Long Island Cheese pumpkin for $3. This is an heirloom variety that I like for cooking/baking. The skin is not bright orange though.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »
Fred Meyer is selling them for 18 cents/lb. here in WA which means a 10 pounder would be less than $2.00.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »
The organic farm I work on charges 29 cents a pound.  It usually works out to 2-3$, but they are smaller than the grocery store ones.  My kids don't care about the size as long as they aren't presented with the option of a giant one. 

We also grew our own this year.  Too late for you obviously, but you might try it next year.  We got 7 pumpkins.  Total cost was about 2$ for one pack of seeds.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »
I bought one at Aldi this week (in the Midwest) for $2.98. $5 isn't terrible, though. At Sam's Club today they were $9.99!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 06:58:11 PM »
I don't think $5 is outrageous but we will probably get ours from Barthel's (Mequon) when we do apple picking in the next week or two. I think you're Milwaukee area, so hopefully that helps.

Frostee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 02:06:06 AM »
Your neighbor's front porch when no one is around to see you

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 06:48:07 AM »
I agree 5 isn't outrageous, but I am trying to be frugal.  :).  I am not sure if I can grow pumpkins.  Maybe.  Our garden space is small and a little shady but it would be cheap to try it next year.

I will check out Aldi and the Lions club event.  In years past we have done outings to corn mazes and apple picking and we tend to overspend!  :(    Maybe we will do some thrifty fall hikes.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 10:25:44 AM »
We've done Aldi for the last 3 years or so. Best prices around. The "pumpkin patch" places are a total rip off. So instead of doing the fall festival thing with the kids there we just make our pumpkin carving night more of a party.

MN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
I'd give you some free if you're near Detroit Lakes, MN. We grow them every year for our 2 kids since a packet of seeds is usually about $0.10.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 04:19:47 PM »
as an update to this topic, they are now marked down to $1.88 at our save-a-lot.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 05:50:23 AM »
They're pretty easy to grow, might be worth giving some seeds a try next spring.