Author Topic: when you get FIRED, do you/will you keep working "for fun"? What would you do?  (Read 11095 times)

cranilation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm hoping to get FIREd in 15-25 years, when I'm 45 - 55.  But I'm sitting here, making my plan, and thinking about what I would do with all that extra time if I didn't have to work full time.

AND, that makes me think of - what kind of job would I want to work if I didn't care about getting fired?  Volunteer work? Creative work? Or something social, like working in a coffee shop that was popular with artists (and NOT business people!)  Or maybe teach, tutor, garden, landscape, learn woodworking and make furniture. 

So, if you've already retired, what do you do?  If not, what's your fantasy?  And, when planning to get FIREd, do you plan also for the income that you might get from working for fun?

sirdoug007

• Pencil Stache
My job (engineering consulting) is very conducive to part time work so I think I would do that on projects I hand pick. 

I'm also considering going to school (short two semester program) to become a certified financial planner.  I think it would be awesome to give FIRE advice to middle class folks at an affordable rate since the money would just be gravy for me.

I haven't considered the income in my plans, but I hope it will help keep me from One More Year syndrome since I will know I have all my expenses covered AND additional "gravy" money on top.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
I want to be a rock climbing guide.  Been working on the certifications, etc.  Should have enough money between pension and 401k to not have to work, but (a) that won't fly with the wife, who will still be working (7-year age difference), and (b) I want to be a climbing guide; I want to give people a great life experience that they may not otherwise have had, and to pass along my passion for something I love so much, and (c) if I can avoid taking withdrawals from my 401k for 5-7 years, I should wind up with a significant account balance when it comes time to really need to withdraw.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
The past few years I've been thinking of getting into law.  Civil rights/constitutional law.  I'm in IT now so it's a huge shift, but I've always been interested in law and have an easy understanding of it.  My stepmom teaches law and has always told me I'd make a good laywer (as a compliment, she hates lawyers ;-).  I think it would be a fun hobby to hand pick pro-bono cases as a part time gig, as well as mentally challenging, which is something I need and am concerned about finding in retirement.

surfhb

The list is endless:   Play guitar more and hopefully get in a band,  build surfboards,  teach adults to read, artwork, ect

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
I want to hike the PCT the first spring after I hit FIRE. After that I want to live in a foreign country (thinking Spain) for 179 days.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
I'm thinking about pouring beer at the local microbrewery.  Of course that requires a bit of QC (after the shift) to make sure the customers are getting a top quality product!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
My job is actually pretty fun, but I would do it freelance. The freelance work is harder work but less drudgery, that is, less seat-warmer/clock-puncher type stuff.

It depends though. The freelance stuff is also riskier, physically. So sometimes when I'm on a freelance job that I picked up to stash more cash, I think to myself, 'this is why I want to retire, so I'm not risking breaking my neck any more.'

After that I want to live in a foreign country (thinking Spain) for 179 days.

That's awfully specific. Is that a tax thing? Or so you can sublet your place for a full year? Or?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:14:41 PM by sheepstache »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
So I retired last year and went back to my company before last on a contract basis doing project management on equipment installations world wide.

I just finished the first project and it took 8 weeks, they say they would like me to do 3 to 4 per year. It paid $17.5k (hourly based.. So two of those per year would cover our yearly expenses. Of course the amount of work will vary depending on how many orders they get.

Wife wants to work another 2 years before quitting so doing this for 2 years is no problem

Oh I put 40% into their 401k plan too.

Its a fun little job.. not very technical but the people are good... it ran between 20 to 55 hours per week.

Frank
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:17:00 PM by Exflyboy »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
After that I want to live in a foreign country (thinking Spain) for 179 days.

That's awfully specific. Is that a tax thing? Or so you can sublet your place for a full year? Or?

The rules may have changed, but getting a visa to enter a EU country for an extended stay is far easier if you are staying for less than 6 months. Of course I will examine this in closer detail when I am close to hitting FIRE.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
buddy o mine is starting a brewery.  i plan to work for him

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
LOL! - I plan to sit on my butt and watch lots of TV. 

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
I envision FIRE to be full of activities that feed my soul.  I plan on doing some part-time work, which includes managing my own properties and perhaps starting another of my own businesses or two.  There are so many things I could see myself enjoying such as event planning, financial planning, starting a yoga studio, real estate, running a coffee shop, starting a B&B with my mom, etc. that I feel like I might even be *more* productive in FIRE than actually working a full-time job, haha.  At this point I've had enough time to get a taste of it with school and gap time between school and a full-time job that I may decide the 9-5 life isn't for me.  But I want to give it a healthy chance just to make sure, you know?

Once I hit my target # or at least get a little closer than I am now, I plan to also dive into volunteer/charity work.  A friend of mine leads mission trips every year to Guatemala which is exactly my cup of tea.  I'd also like to volunteer in some sphere with horses, whether in therapeutic riding or with a group that works with at-risk youth (there's one near me now, unfortunately I'm moving away).

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
I want to teach a modern quilt class 1 per month at the local craftsman center, in addition to occasionally selling some of my own patterns & art.  I probably  won't make a lot of money, maybe $500 per month, but I'd enjoy it.   I may take on the occasional house design project or other small scale quick project.

damize

• Stubble
I'm thinking about pouring beer at the local microbrewery.  Of course that requires a bit of QC (after the shift) to make sure the customers are getting a top quality product!

Not to be completely unoriginal, but I love this idea. Thanks, So Close, I'm stealing it.

sirdoug007

• Pencil Stache

Not to be completely unoriginal, but I love this idea. Thanks, So Close, I'm stealing it.

Love it too.  Another thought I had is to pour beer and wine at the local whole foods.  Seems very laid back and you'd get to meet some interesting folks.

flashpacker

• Stubble
My spouse and I are more or less FIRE. We are trying it out for a 5 year period. What I've found is that working in a block or anything that's on my own schedule feels great.  It's nice to have enough net rental income, royalty income, and the odd bit of other stuff that we are not actually drawing down on our stash and can splash out on 'wants'.  I'm increasingly scratchy about anything that requires me to be anywhere at a particular time, even if it's just like Tuesdays at 6.30.  I've quickly gotten used to having no fixed engagements in the day. 

My wife works 3 months a year as a medical doctor (back in our home country), to keep her skills and competency requirements up.  This seems like it would be lucrative but it's not really due to all the expenses that come along with it.

Raay

I'm FI and keep working as a freelance contractor. It would be difficult for my clients to replace me, so I keep working out of sense of "duty" (though of course I don't mind the extra income). I wouldn't like to cause a big disruption for people who entrusted some important tasks to me by retiring (or even announcing early retirement to them). My clients have always been generous to me, and most of them are people who I have known for a long time. So it would feel like a betrayal and burning bridges behind. Sometimes I wish I could clone myself / replace myself by an employee or associate, but it's difficult to pull off in a brainy job.

Static Void

• Stubble

I've got a very definite plan for my time.

I am looking forward to leaving the software industry so that I can spend more time actually writing software. Which is something I truly love to do.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
I plan to garden more extensively, possibly pursue being a master gardener, maybe set up a garden with a charity for kids like big brothers big sisters.  My sister did that in college, taught the kids how to garden, made a recipe with stuff from their garden each week (taught cooking) and sent the kids home with veggies each week.  I don't feel that I have the time for it right now, but I would like to do it at some point. 

I currently work extremely part time for an organic farm, like 4 hours a week.  I imagine I might do that indefinitely as I find it fun.  I work one farmers market a week.  You talk to a million people and it's easy.  I also just love the farmers market atmosphere. 

Lukim

• Stubble
I have been FI for the past 6 years - but I still work full time.

Not sure I do it for fun - probably more because I have not worked out what else to do to fill in the 60 hours a week I spend working.

I must be mad!

rocklebock

• Stubble
I used to think I wanted to do part-time consulting "for fun," then I started doing some part-time consulting on the side. It's interesting and good money, but I wouldn't say it's been lots of fun. I didn't realize how much of the work was going to be just educating the clients and explaining what I'm doing, and it can be frustrating when they don't get it. As frustrating as having an employee or boss who just doesn't get it. It's made me realize that what I really like to do is get in there, do a good job, and get out. I may still do some consulting work, but it would be limited and probably focus more on nuts-and-bolts technical work with other people in my field.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
I'll be doing what some other family members have done, actively manage my investments. Grandpa is almost 90 and it's kept him engaged and his mind sharp. He sold all the cows years ago so his investments, some travel and grandkids/Great-grandkids are all he does with his time now.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
I may do some very part time work or volunteer work, but only if I could do it on my own schedule. I think I will need something to get me out of the house occasionally. I can see myself turning into a hermit otherwise. Another idea I have is to do free or super low cost photography for low income clients. I would also like to slow travel through Europe, but I'm not sure that will be feasible.

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
I used to think I wanted to do part-time consulting "for fun," then I started doing some part-time consulting on the side. It's interesting and good money, but I wouldn't say it's been lots of fun.
'

Consulting is a drag.  I'll probably end up being roped into  it by my current employer when I eventually retire... but I'll attempt to put a hard end date on the engagement.

For me FIRE is about breaking from my current work.  I sit (actually stand) at a desk all day long.  I have no desire to do that in early retirement!  I like my work, but I don't love it and it's not a passion.  It's a means to an end.

pom

• Bristles
Probably some consulting for me.

I am 3 years away but have already started lining up small clients for their annually recurring work, I think that I can get between 10k€ and 20k€ in fees for 20 to 30 days worth of work per year.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
We plan to semi retire in 10 years and work on our own Organic farm.  We have some contacts with local restaurants that will buy our produce and meat along with the super expensive Door to Door Organics.  I also would love to teach people about permaculture and other small farming techniques.  A total pipe dream is to have a little general store with homemade goodies and serve farm fresh lunch.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
I will probably FI in 5-10 years, and I'll be 40-45.  Right now I'm an accountant, so there are opportunities for contract and part time work, and I might check those out.  But if I'm going to stay in the field, and things are good at my current employer, why change things?!  (I can see why "one more year" is a thing...)

But I I've always wanted to work at a library (just doing whatever, checking people out, shelving books, etc.)   So I might look into that.  Or just some other "fun" job- working at the botanical gardens nearby, working at farmers markets for my favorite farmers, working at retail shops in town.  I'm not opposed to work, I just want it to be mostly on my terms.  Right now it feels like it is on someone else's terms.

Frankio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I want to be a scientist. I'll go into Physics research.

gt7152b

• Stubble
I'm FI and keep working as a freelance contractor. It would be difficult for my clients to replace me, so I keep working out of sense of "duty" (though of course I don't mind the extra income). I wouldn't like to cause a big disruption for people who entrusted some important tasks to me by retiring (or even announcing early retirement to them). My clients have always been generous to me, and most of them are people who I have known for a long time. So it would feel like a betrayal and burning bridges behind. Sometimes I wish I could clone myself / replace myself by an employee or associate, but it's difficult to pull off in a brainy job.

Raay, It sounds like you need a protege to train. At first it would be extra work for you but the situation would evolve towards off loading work a little at a time and eventually allowing you to leave it behind with little impact to your clients. If you've made "enough" why keep accumulating unnecessarily when you can give someone else the opportunity? What field are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

dude

• Handlebar Stache
The past few years I've been thinking of getting into law.  Civil rights/constitutional law.  I'm in IT now so it's a huge shift, but I've always been interested in law and have an easy understanding of it.  My stepmom teaches law and has always told me I'd make a good laywer (as a compliment, she hates lawyers ;-).  I think it would be a fun hobby to hand pick pro-bono cases as a part time gig, as well as mentally challenging, which is something I need and am concerned about finding in retirement.

Be sure you REALLY want to practice law.  It's what I do now, and I can't wait to not be doing it anymore.  And think long and hard about the investment and whether you will get the ROI on your degree that you think you will.  Law school is insanely expensive, and good law jobs are hard to find these days, especially if you are not from a top-tier law school or at the top of your class in a second-tier law school.  I would suggest getting a paralegal certificate first and then going to work for an organization/firm that handles the type of cases you're interested in, to get a good idea of what the work entails and how the lawyers operate.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Nope! Unless I found something I could do part time that I enjoyed...the bar tending sounded like fun :)
Sometimes I think about getting to the point where I have a good-sized 'stache and going part time, which would push out the time to FIRE but maybe cut out a lot of the frustration that drives my desire to FIRE in the first place.

As for what I'd do...get much more involved with the gardening, with canning and preserving, with baking. Spend some quality time with my (future) mother in law and learn some of the delicious things she does. Travel more to see family and friends. READ ALL THE BOOKS. Maybe take some classes in things that I've always been interested in and never learned much about. I wouldn't object to some kind of side hustle from a hobby that pulled in a little money, but a) I don't think most of my hobbies are terribly marketable and b) I have found that "having" to do something for profit takes a lot of the fun out of it for me. So I'm not planning on/counting on it.

Raay

Raay, It sounds like you need a protege to train. At first it would be extra work for you but the situation would evolve towards off loading work a little at a time and eventually allowing you to leave it behind with little impact to your clients. If you've made "enough" why keep accumulating unnecessarily when you can give someone else the opportunity? What field are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm in IT / software development / consulting. In fact I've already hired one such "protege" (and have been working with him for a couple years now). Unfortunately, the guy is way less productive than I am, can only take particular (easier) subsets of work, is not particularly motivated to improve beyond his current level and is not the type who you'd let deal with clients directly (soft skills / business acumen / corporate "culture" missing). Delegating individual tasks is possible, but not delegating the delegation, if you catch my drift...

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache

Be sure you REALLY want to practice law.  It's what I do now, and I can't wait to not be doing it anymore.  And think long and hard about the investment and whether you will get the ROI on your degree that you think you will.  Law school is insanely expensive, and good law jobs are hard to find these days, especially if you are not from a top-tier law school or at the top of your class in a second-tier law school.  I would suggest getting a paralegal certificate first and then going to work for an organization/firm that handles the type of cases you're interested in, to get a good idea of what the work entails and how the lawyers operate.

Thanks, I will definitely have a lot to look into IF I get to that point and decide to pursue it.  As I wouldn't be looking for a job, I wouldn't care too much what school I went to as I generally learn best on my own anyway and would go for minimum possible requirements to be able to represent someone in court.  I mostly just want to f shit up when the system breaks.  No desire to work for a firm or do big law.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
I plan to garden more extensively, possibly pursue being a master gardener, maybe set up a garden with a charity for kids like big brothers big sisters.  My sister did that in college, taught the kids how to garden, made a recipe with stuff from their garden each week (taught cooking) and sent the kids home with veggies each week.  I don't feel that I have the time for it right now, but I would like to do it at some point. 

I currently work extremely part time for an organic farm, like 4 hours a week.  I imagine I might do that indefinitely as I find it fun.  I work one farmers market a week.  You talk to a million people and it's easy.  I also just love the farmers market atmosphere.

Lots of this for me.  I think I'd also like to have a limited list of clients for barefoot hoof trimming, and maybe freelance work in the realm of my profession for attractive gigs or deserving organizations.  I've also always wanted to learn to build furniture, so that's something I might pursue when I have more free time.  Maybe docent at the botanical garden... there are so many possibilities!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
When I achieve FIRE, I am going to spend my days doing volunteer work with our neighborhood animal shelter and with our church's food bank.  It will be really nice to help people without having to do it for a living.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
In reality, with all my kids and future grandkids, even when retired, I won't have enough time.

Spudd

• Stubble
I am planning to do a few things. I could see getting some sort of retail job just for the social aspect, ideally someplace like the library or a garden center. I want to develop mobile apps, and learn website design. I want to design bike tours and possibly lead them too.

I don't want to start my own storefront business for sure. Although it does seem appealing, I want to have freedom to travel, and a storefront would take a lot of startup capital so if it didn't succeed, my whole retirement would be at risk.

thenextguy

• Stubble
Work at an animal shelter.

flamingo25

• Stubble
I am currently a full-time early childhood teacher.

I love what I do and could see myself doing it PT or in a volunteer role.

Dawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Only working on our properties. Travel. Garden. Can food. Hike. READ READ READ. Volunteer at the girls school. Build really cool birdhouses. Build off the grid earth bermed house. Photography. Breathe! Eat lunch with girls. Teach them all the wonderful things they need to know but aren't taught in school.......and on and on.....

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!