Author Topic: When to turn in notice of resignation?  (Read 15260 times)

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
When to turn in notice of resignation?
« on: June 02, 2015, 06:50:22 AM »
I accepted a job offer yesterday with a new company, but they will not give me a start date until they receive my background check, which should be next week. I was hoping to give exactly 2 weeks notice, but I'm crazy busy right now enrolling new clients and wonder if I should give a heads up sooner even though I don't have an exact last day yet. Adding complication, my supervisor is off this week, but checking email, so I wouldn't be able to have a face to face conversation with her until next week. There is only one other person in my company who does the same job as I do, and she is already aware of the situation. She will likely be the one taking care of my clients until a replacement is hired, as our supervisor rarely even shows up at the office and cannot be bothered to do actual work. So, give a heads up now via email, or wait until I know exactly when my last day will be and submit in person? I should mention that once new clients are enrolled and into the system, the clock starts ticking to get them through the process, keep them in compliance, etc. My supervisor may opt to hold off on enrolling some until my replacement is named, but maybe not.

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
Re: When to turn in notice of resignation?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 08:01:23 AM »
Depends. As long as you are absolutely 100% positive that you will have this new job, pending the results of your background check, I'd turn in 2 weeks notice right away. Then, if the new job gives you a start date that is 3 weeks away, you have a week to prepare/decompress from the last job, and get in the right mindset for the next. I always like to try to plan to have a few days in between if possible.

However, if something goes wrong with your background check, they could rescind the offer and you'd be out of a job. So maybe best to wait until the check passes, and then negotiate a start date, not wait for them to tell you one?

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:10:03 AM »
As someone with government, and government contracting, experience I would not inform anyone until the background check is complete (your current offer is unconfirmed, even if you disagree). I would not have confided in a coworker, either (future note).

smoke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:21:37 AM »
I agree with Ivy. Don't give your notice, formally or informally to a co-worker, until you've passed the background check, etc. and have a start date established. Cashstasher hit the nail on the head with giving yourself some time in between jobs - very rarely once you start working do you have an opportunity to step away -- take advantage of it - I'd encourage you to consider a start date 3-4+ weeks out and then give your 2 week notice...

TimmyTightWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »
You should wait until the back ground check is complete.

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. Accepted a low clearance level job with extensive FBI background check. Was so excited to leave the job I had that I ran and put in my 2 weeks before the background check process was complete. An arrest from college came up even though all charges were dropped. This lead to a VERY tense couple of weeks as the company did their due diligence into the arrest.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:34:02 AM »
Thank you for your responses. My coworker is a good friend and is aware I've been interviewing, etc. I have keep her updated on all fronts, and will continue to do so. I am not looking to take any time off between jobs (aside from a weekend), as I am not looking to miss out on any income. I also need to be cognizant of when my current benefits end and the new begin.

I will plan on waiting until the background check clears, but unless they take issue with a speeding ticket from 3 years ago, I'm good to go. They are willing to accept the last background checks I completed for my current job, but I only did BCI and not FBI. I am not concerned about any issues, but one never knows, I suppose.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 08:58:51 AM »
Background checks are a funny thing, even if you think they are clean.  I had a friend that had a mix up on his.  Took another week or so to clear up.

I also had some employment dates that came back different on mine ( though I think this was simply an excuse as they were frustrated with my requests for more details of benefits and they had someone internally who was interested).  This led to the offer being pulled.

zurich78

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 09:06:37 AM »
I'm paranoid so I always wait until everything is in the clear before putting in my 2 weeks.  Extra money in your pocket that way anyway!

If your new employer won't let you start later (so you can have some time off between jobs), then I also like to give notice on like a Wed, so your last day is a Tuesday, and then you can say, I'll start on Monday!  (And sometimes, rather than have you come in for 1-2 days in your last week, your current employer will say just make the previous Friday your last day).

anks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 09:19:02 AM »
I had a friend last week inform our company that he would be starting a new job in 2 months. He gave them advanced notice because the wanted to make the transition easy for our company, and give them adequate time to find a replacement. After telling them, he received notice a few days later that he would have to leave at the end of the week. Luckily, he was able to move up his start date with his new company. Stick with 2 weeks notice. Don't tell anyone of your plans until 2 weeks from you departure date.

GlobeTrttr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 09:46:50 AM »
Do not quit the current job until you have an offer and start date all worked out.  Background check, compensation negotiation, etc all completed.

Give 2 weeks' notice.
Important:
If you can, set your start date at least 2-4 weeks off between the two jobs to mentally re-set and allow yourself to start fresh into something new.  Consider it a "mini-retirement".  I took 6 weeks the last time I changed jobs and got a lot of chores around the house completed, spent time at the pool with friends, and spent 14 days backpacking around Europe thanks to my hoarding of airline miles and hotel points.  The lack of paycheck was very worth it.

Bottom line,  I was the most relaxed I had been in years and that helped me adapt quickly into the new surroundings.  You'll never otherwise be able to take more than a week off from work without questions and eyebrows being raised by higher-ups and co-workers, so do it now, you've earned it.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 11:07:23 AM »
Do not quit the current job until you have an offer and start date all worked out.  Background check, compensation negotiation, etc all completed.

Give 2 weeks' notice.
Important:
If you can, set your start date at least 2-4 weeks off between the two jobs to mentally re-set and allow yourself to start fresh into something new.  Consider it a "mini-retirement".  I took 6 weeks the last time I changed jobs and got a lot of chores around the house completed, spent time at the pool with friends, and spent 14 days backpacking around Europe thanks to my hoarding of airline miles and hotel points.  The lack of paycheck was very worth it.

Bottom line,  I was the most relaxed I had been in years and that helped me adapt quickly into the new surroundings.  You'll never otherwise be able to take more than a week off from work without questions and eyebrows being raised by higher-ups and co-workers, so do it now, you've earned it.

I would LOVE to take some extra time, but my hair is on fire to the tune of 19k in student loans, so I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. So tempting, though!

nukeulis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 02:06:21 PM »
I admire you (and others like you) who want to do "the right thing" and give two weeks notice.

However, who says you have to?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying you be extreme about it and tell them on your last day that you are leaving (unprofessional and foolish long term). But, do not feel "obligated" that you have to give 10 more working days. I'm guessing you are in the US and not a contract worker. You are employed at will and just as they could fire you at any time, you can leave at any time.

So all that to say, while the customary expectation is to be polite and give the employer two weeks advance warning, you don't have to. Sure, shoot for this, but realize they may very well say "thanks, but you can leave this Friday" (as has happened to a NUMBER of my friends when they changed jobs). So you might still be forced to take an unpaid vacation.

I think you would be best to wait until you have a confirmed start date, with nothing pending before telling your boss. And rather than a full two weeks, maybe something like tell them Tuesday afternoon (just so they aren't tempted to drop you a week sooner).
Remember, employers can (and often will) do whatever they want to you the employee. They often do not give you the same courtesy you are seeking to give.

Just don't want to see you get burned.
Good luck!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 02:15:30 PM »
I read "ask a manager" an HR guru (askamanager.org) and she's answered questions like this before...

NEVER turn in a notice until you have an formal job offer with a confirmed start date. Too many things can go wrong, and it makes no sense to jump the gun - even if you were told it is a done deal, but they have to wait until "xxx" is confirmed. WAIT TO TURN IN YOUR NOTICE.

And if they drag out the background check, just wait it out, get the formal job offer, confirm your start date as 2 weeks out from that, and then turn in your notice at that point.

And I do not agree in not giving the standard notice period when leaving a job. It is unprofessional and you come off looking like a jerk. Be classy and professional and always give at least 2 weeks notice even if you hate the place, even if you're retiring...the only reason I'd not give that much notice is if you're leaving due to harrassment/assault in the workplace or you have serious family/health issues that demand your full attention right then.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
When to turn in notice of resignation?
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »
Isn't two weeks required in order to get any vacation time paid out?

I have given as much as six weeks to transition.

And while I could give no notice, it doesn't mean I should.  Just as just because a company can let you go without notice doesn't mean they should. (Edit:  if you are let go, you generally do get a severance package so you do get something).

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 03:05:36 PM »
Turn it in so that your last day is on a Monday, that way when they prorate the salary for the last month you get paid an extra weekend.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »
I've had a background invesigation take three months. It was tough to stay quiet that long but I did it. One of the questions was whether I had ever given less than 2 weeks notice. Apparently its a red flag.

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 06:18:10 PM »
I agree with all who say to WAIT!  Your background check might be sterling but the position could be suddenly eliminated or the permission to hire put on hold.  It happens more than you might suspect. 

A friend recently interviewed for a job, was given a verbal offer and a start date a few days later so she gave two week notice and quit her job.  The day she showed up to start her new job they were deeply apologetic but the HR recruiter had "screwed up" and hired "too many people" for the job!  It was a new role in the company and they were hiring five or six people to start together.  She DID NOT have a job nor any recourse as she didn't have a letter of hire and only a verbal offer.  It turned out okay as that same week she got another offer for a job she had interviewed for before and it actually was a better fit for her.  Still...it could have been disastrous as she doesn't have much of a safety net.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 08:01:03 PM »
Wow I didn't stop to think what all a background check can entail in some arenas. This is simply an FBI check for felonies. The new employer informed me they typically take about a week, so it shouldn't be a big deal to wait. Thanks for all the cautionary tales!

Fruglette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 06:45:21 AM »
I agree with all posters on waiting until you have a formal offer and start date in hand.  But also think you've helped your current employer by letting your trusted friend/colleague in on the situation.  Sounds like she is the one that your departure will impact the most since she will have to cover your clients while they find someone else.  Be sure to thank her appropriately (a drink?  Homemade cookies?  Bottle of Scotch??) when you go!