Author Topic: When to replace running/walking shoes?  (Read 3623 times)

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
When to replace running/walking shoes?
« on: May 15, 2016, 11:42:46 PM »
I have a pair of asics running/walking shoes that I've owned for about two years. I walk in them perhaps 10km a week to the park in the weekend, to the shops, etc.

They are now pretty old and worn. They are still useable but my feet start to hurt a bit now on long weekend walks to the park as the padding on the sole by my toes is almost worn down completely.

Being frugal and all, should I wear them until they basically fall apart or should I get new ones?

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
Re: When to replace running/walking shoes?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 11:47:31 PM »
The rule of thumb is 500 miles for running. But some people go thousands. And most of the "science" around running shoes is horseshit, so, maybe the rule of thumb is too. I don't know that there is any rule of thumb for walking.

If it hurts to walk in them, you should probably replace them. If not, then you probably don't need to. It's only been a few tens of millennia since shoes were invented. Your feet don't need anything.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 12:39:49 AM »
Replace them when they hurt or buy insoles so that they don't hurt anymore, assuming that it is the broken down footbed causing the problems...

faramund

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 12:55:11 AM »
I run in them until I notice I'm getting sore knees. But then I recycle them as walking shoes, until my next running shoes start to annoy my knees, and then the old ones get thrown out.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 06:15:35 AM »
Is it just the insole that needs replacement, or have you worn through the rubber and foam layer under the toes?  If the former, that's like a 5-10$ fix from the drug store.  If the latter, it's probably time to retire them.

The Happy Philosopher

• Bristles
    • thehappyphilosopher
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 09:19:58 AM »
I replace my running shoes when my feet start to hurt on long runs. Every person and every shoe is going to be a little different. Life is too short to wear shoes that hurt your feet. That is being cheap, not frugal.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 11:58:47 AM »
I wear mine for walking and to work.

When my body starts to ache on my long walks (4+ miles), then I replace.  Sometimes 4 months, sometimes 6 months, sometimes a year - depends on the shoe.  The $160 pair that I got last time has lasted 2x longer than the $50 pair I had before that.  And still going.

So if your feet, ankle, knees, shins start to hurt - replace. 

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 12:06:49 PM »
I start breaking in a new pair around the 350-400 mile range and toss the old ones when the new ones are broken in.

If my knees or joints start hurting or if the sole is broken then I toss them sooner.

21runner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »
I wear my asics much longer than 500 miles. I usually wear running shoes up until the point in which I wear the first hole in the bottom, then I start thinking about looking for some more. I still keep the old asics and use them for mowing shoes, etc.