Author Topic: When to Keep Shoes and When to Replace Them?  (Read 5474 times)

Auckland Stubble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
When to Keep Shoes and When to Replace Them?
« on: August 17, 2015, 10:31:40 PM »
I use all different kind of shoes.

Work boots, casual/everyday, formal black and hiking boots.

At what stage do you replace them? Do they have to literally be falling off your feet with gaping holes in them or is there another cue that you use to say that you need new ones?

bsmith

• Stubble
Re: When to Keep Shoes and When to Replace Them?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 10:35:20 PM »
I get new shoes when I can feel a difference in my feet. If you feel a difference, it's likely to soon cause a bruise or callous. I don't know how to cobble, so I chuck them. That or plant a cactus in them.

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 12:38:44 AM »
Typically when the heal has worn away and it costs less to replace them than to resole.
I find the wear of the heal usually exceeds any other issues with scuffing or stitching.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 08:41:35 AM »
When the cost to repair/replace the heel or heel protector exceeds the cost of a comparable new pair deeply discounted.  In some cases, resoling is needed and where I live, that is never worth it ($70+) for any shoes I have owned in recent history (might be worth it for very high end shoes like Allen Edmonds).

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:09:48 AM »
When the cost to repair/replace the heel or heel protector exceeds the cost of a comparable new pair deeply discounted.   Exactly.  It breaks my heart to throw away my used up Birkenstocks but I can get new ones at the Fall sale at Sierra Trading Post cheaper than I can get them resoled so I do it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:13:22 AM by 2ndTimer »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 09:59:19 AM »
My cheapie $15.99 Costco shoes are currently at the falling-apart-with-gaping-holes-in-them stage you speak of.  I should have replaced them at least a month ago, but I'm stubborn as hell, so I'm going to wait until my office's "summer dress code" (more lax and casual) ends after Labor Day.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
As soon as they don't do the job they are meant to and can't be/aren't worth fixing. I feel the worst about running shoes, because for the most part they aren't that old and they *look* fine, but I can tell they aren't absorbing impact as well; sometimes insoles can help a bit, but ultimately it's the foam in the soles that has flattened. I usually downgrade these to walking/light hiking shoes, where impact-absorption is less of a concern (and insoles can help more) than with the jarring impact of running/jumping.

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 05:18:46 PM »
I have semi-casual dress shoes I wear to work that have held up fairly well except for a hole wearing  in the rubber sole. Would hate to toss them because they look fine otherwise. Anyone know how to patch or fill this? Do they make an epoxy for this or something?

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »
I have semi-casual dress shoes I wear to work that have held up fairly well except for a hole wearing  in the rubber sole. Would hate to toss them because they look fine otherwise. Anyone know how to patch or fill this? Do they make an epoxy for this or something?

Yep, Shoe Goo comes to mind (about $10 per tube), but you could use any shoe repair adhesive

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 01:04:43 AM »
It depends on whether they were made to be repaired or replaced: I have two good (cobbler-made) pairs of work shoes that have lasted me >10 years so far each. About every two years I get the sole protection replaced and otherwise I polish them. Trainers/Running shoes I replace when they get holes or the soles wear down.

If I'm looking at boots, then I make sure they are the sort that can be repaired- stitched soles etc.

JJNL

• Bristles
  • Zuinigheid met vlijt bouwt huizen als kastelen
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 01:39:20 AM »
Running shoes: when the soles no longer absorb impact enough. I tend to notice that in my shins, and have learnt that not replacing them on time will lead to injuries.
Hiking boots: when cost of repairs > cost of new boots. They last longer and are more reparable if you buy leather, but that also means they're less waterproof (even if you wax religiously) and a lot heavier. than if you buy G-Tex.
All other shoes: when falling apart and no longer repairable.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 02:54:30 AM »
Sell the shoes you never wear to pay for repairs on the three you actually need.

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 05:19:09 AM »

Yep, Shoe Goo comes to mind (about $10 per tube), but you could use any shoe repair adhesive

Cool thanks for the tip, I will look into this.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 06:57:19 AM »
When they develop cracks or holes that can't be repaired (it's cheap here) or when they start to cause pain and I can't fix the problem with gel inserts. Work shoes occasionally get downgraded to home shoes based on appearance before one of the above happens, and I'm less willing to pay to repair home shoes since I have more than one pair.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 07:30:08 AM »
I have never had much luck with shoe goo. Anything I try to glue back on quickly comes off after again waking a few days. In the case of shoes I usually wear them until there is a hole in the sole, and for my winter boots I stop wearing them once they are damaged enough that I can't keep them water proof.

I also have a pair of weightlifting shoes that is fairly expensive; those I get resoled every few years. They have lasted maybe eight years like that so far.

EricL

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 07:30:43 AM »
Dress shoes: when they start to look so tore up they can't be considered as such and can't be repaired.
Work/hiking/combat boots: gaping holes or uneven heels that can't be repaired
Casual Walking shoes: until they disintegrate or heels wear too unevenly.
Running shoes: if running ~15 miles+ per week replace every 6 months.  But those can be retired to casual wear.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 07:50:44 AM »
I get new shoes when I can feel a difference in my feet. If you feel a difference, it's likely to soon cause a bruise or callous. I don't know how to cobble, so I chuck them. That or plant a cactus in them.

For demanding applications - hiking, mountain biking or work shoes I agree that as soon as they no longer fulfill their job I replace them for that situation. I may keep them and use them for something else. For example I keep a spare pair of shoes in my truck and a worn pair of work shoes are fine for this. I've been very glad to have them on several occasions.

Shoes can breakdown in terms of shock absorption and/or support and still look great.

If you pronate the uneven wear on the heel will be slow and almost unnoticeable until your feet start to get sore.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 07:57:15 AM »
I've been wondering the same thing. I typically make mine last 2 years. I have a pair of New Balance that I've glued the soles back on multiple times, have holes in them, etc. You can fee a difference now, as much of the little extra cushions of the sole have fallen off even after gluing on multiple times. I still wear them around town for errands, but not to the office; I wear new tennis shoes to the office.

I do wonder if 2 years is too long and damaging my feet, knees, shins, etc.

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 08:21:24 AM »
I've been wondering the same thing. I typically make mine last 2 years.

Mine last only about 8 months; I do walk about 5 miles a day according to my pedometer, so I guess I am getting pretty good mileage out of them. I wear minimalist shoes, so once there is a hole in the sole, it is pretty quickly going all the way through to my socks; it seems pretty necessary to replace them at that point