Author Topic: When to add child on to dental and vision insurance?  (Read 6833 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
When to add child on to dental and vision insurance?
« on: November 10, 2017, 05:51:58 PM »
What age should I add my child onto my dental and vision insurance policies?  Open enrollment for 2018 is for the next 10 days.  The baby is 12 days old right now.

Dental premiums will increase $328.92/yr to add him.  He doesn't have teeth so I don't think I need to add him, and at those prices is it even cost effective to use insurance at all once he does have teeth?  How much is a check up for a child?

Vision premiums will increase $44.16/yr, but when is he going to start needing coverage?

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
Re: When to add child on to dental and vision insurance?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 06:35:42 PM »
I won’t add my children onto vision until they use need it but it’s like $100 extra for me.  I’m a dentist thus never needed to think about dental insurance.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 06:51:14 PM »
wow that is a lot of money to add a child!  definitely wait until he is old enough to make use of it and keep fingers crossed that by then your plan options will improve

I'm self-insured for dental and I pay about $100 (maybe it's $120?) for a cleaning or filling appointment.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 07:13:21 PM »
I would wait on both. A cleaning or two should be less than $328, assuming he even needs that much. If he turns up with a cavity, get a price quote so you know whether to add him for the next round.

The premium for our dental insurance just shot up to $800 a year for all of us... I'm contemplating dropping it, but I have to see how much a cleaning is out of pocket. There are 4 of us who currently have teeth, and we may want to get the baby in towards the end of the year. But 8 cleanings are probably $800 a year. Grumble. 

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 05:12:54 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that some very early childhood vision issues are considered medical.  My son had lazy eye, caught at age 4.  He saw an optometrist (not ophthalmologist) and it all billed through medical.   If you child does not have vision problems, I think they recommend an eye exam every couple years.  If that is the child's only expense, you are better off paying that out of pocket. 

Pediatricians do a vision check at exams as well starting at a certain age.  - Maybe 3?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!