Author Topic: What’s your perfect retirement day?  (Read 1585 times)

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
What’s your perfect retirement day?
« on: January 03, 2020, 07:37:01 PM »
I’m not retired and due to divorce, current age and adult child issues, don’t expect to retire early. However, I will be retired or semi-retired within a few years and today found myself daydreaming about what I would do in a typical day of retirement. Thinking about this might be a good exercise in that I should think about how to do more of these things today, even before I’m retired. It also makes me think about the social networks that need strengthening or creating.

My ideal day looks something like this:
Up in the morning, cup of tea and light breakfast or protein drink.

Go to gym for two hours (I like to dawdle in the sauna and jacuzzi after)
Followed by meeting friends for coffee/brunch.

Home for afternoon of reading or writing, or crafting or practicing music. On some days this might be substituted with taking lessons in music or art.

Late afternoon dinner prep.

Evenings - one night a week practicing or performing with a new band (my old one broke up). Other nights: going out to concerts or movies with friends, staying in to relax and watch a movie, maybe a regular casual dinner party nite with friends.

Reading over this I can see a couple of things:
I need to shoehorn more exercise into my current working schedule, difficult though it is. Also, I need to plan more social activities for the weekends to maintain/build up social network. (Note that I haven’t mentioned a partner - I have a boyfriend now but he has stage 4 lung cancer and it’s not very likely he’ll still be with us when I retire. I might date again if that happens but if so that would just go into the evening activities).

What does your perfect day in retirement look like? And what could you be doing right now to bring some of that into your current life?

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What’s your perfect retirement day?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 02:30:44 PM »
Sometimes doing nothing when you are RE  is pretty great.

Hear, hear!

Inveterate daydreamer that I am I was pleased to read that the OP "today found myself daydreaming about what I would do in a typical day of retirement."

In countless reveries prior to FIREing, I would project myself into my future life as a FIREee.

In one  of them, someone  asks me "What's it like to be retired early?"

"Everyday is Sunday" was not only my imagined reply; as a FIREee I have actually said so.

My perfect retirement day is one on which I can do whatever I want to do, whenever  I want to do it, if I want to do it.

If spartana will permit me a small plagiarism: Sometimes doing nothing when you are RE  is pretty great.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 02:32:31 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 09:48:27 AM »
Today woke up late (granted it's Sunday) having coffee, meeting friends for lunch/brunch and then will come home and plan next trip :)

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 12:56:40 PM »
My ideal schedule on days off goes something like:

- Wake up without my alarm clock
- Read while having coffee and a light breakfast
- Work out
- Shower, have lunch
- Read some more
- Take care of chores (laundry, groceries, etc)
- Dinner with some friends or family
- Home early for a bit of reading or a movie before bed

Of course, I'm happy to break up this default schedule for days when I'm traveling, hiking, going to a concert, etc.

As others have said, the most important part is the flexibility to do anything (or nothing) each new day brings.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 06:54:08 PM »
Hmmmm, well, if I’m honest:
Wake up around 7am
Have sex
Go for a walk
Have breakfast
Lounge around, read what’s happening, talk to friends/family
Go to the gym
Have lunch