Author Topic: What would you wear (women engineers): Update! and new question.  (Read 10513 times)

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
Re: What would you wear (women engineers): Update! and new question.
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2016, 02:26:36 PM »
man reading all of this clothing updating tells me women really need to simplify their wardrobe for work.. its not a fashion show, its work.  lots of women at my white collar place where slacks and a blouse similar to the men with slacks and a shirt and tie. 

all this base layer top layer middle layer ... holy hell ... wouldnt the mustachian thing to do be very similar to what a man does.  3-4 pairs of slacks, black and brown shoes and a few shirts/blouses that can be mixed and matched.

This has to be trolling.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2016, 02:45:39 PM »
how is it trolling to recommend simplifying a wardrobe for work down to the necessities.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2016, 02:51:38 PM »
A man interrupting a thread that's aimed at women in order to inform the women that their problems would be solved if they just dressed like men is either (1) trolling or (2) jaw-droppingly clueless and rude. I went with (1), but if you prefer (2) I'm down with that.

crispy

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2016, 03:06:33 PM »

OP, one thing I did was choose a base color for my wardrobe. My base color is black (and grays) so I don't own any blue or brown pants or skirts so most of my tops match everything. This tactic makes my wardrobe much more cohesive.

I buy most of my stuff from the theft store, but the brands are is usually Ann Taylor, LOFT, Banana Republic, and Talbot's. I also find some nice things at Ross, and it is usually inexpensive.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2016, 03:28:18 PM »
I am another poster who strongly recommends ThredUp. I believe anyone can get 20% off your first order just by signing up. I have gotten two boxes of clothes for work now and generally been very happy with the quality. I wear almost exclusively Ann Taylor to work because it fits me well but they have a ton of other brands. I like the look of Banana Republic for work as well. Congrats on the job.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2016, 03:45:42 PM »
I rarely dress like an adult.  Right now, I'm wearing running shoes, a dinosaur t-shirt, and jeans. 

However, all of my "adult" clothing is from J. Crew and Banana Republic.  I would buy things on sale, and I find the clothing is classic with a little flair.  I also like the option to mix and match suit separates.  For example, I have a skirt in a 2 and a 4 that matches my suit jacket.  My weight goes up and down by how busy I am at work, so it's nice to not be stressed about having to fit into my clothes.  I also don't buy anything for full price.  Wait until there is a 40% off sale.  Or from the clearance section in the store. 

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2016, 03:58:06 PM »
Another vote for JC Penney. I'm curvy, and I looooove Lee Trousers because they actually have enough room for my thighs without gaping in the back. I love Penneys for the nexus of cost and quality. I recently picked up a pair of said trousers, a skirt, a dress, a top, and a pair of leggings for $34 off of their clearance racks. That night I went home and watched the John Oliver segment on the true cost of cheap clothes (that is, third world child labor) and felt terrible about myself. But I am stoked about replenishing my wardrobe after a thorough scrub.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2016, 04:00:07 PM »
man reading all of this clothing updating tells me women really need to simplify their wardrobe for work.. its not a fashion show, its work.  lots of women at my white collar place where slacks and a blouse similar to the men with slacks and a shirt and tie. 

all this base layer top layer middle layer ... holy hell ... wouldnt the mustachian thing to do be very similar to what a man does.  3-4 pairs of slacks, black and brown shoes and a few shirts/blouses that can be mixed and matched.
Some Women get cold/ too hot.  Need something to transition.
Base layer tank is often like a guys base layer ( undershirt)
Shoes.   Definite differences there.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2016, 04:49:09 PM »
I recently discovered thredUp (referral bonus link for $10 for you and $10 for me), which is basically a huge online consignment store. If you know you like Ann Taylor and Banana Republic stuff, look on there. More expensive than a thrift store but easier to find stuff from specific brands and still less expensive than buying new. (Their return policy is not bad either.) Also they have coupons and discount codes all the time.

And you really will be fine with one more pair of pants and a couple of shirts. When I used to have a job that required "work clothes" I had two pairs of pants, 5-7 shirts, and a couple of dresses and skirts that I wore, and that was for a 5-day-a-week work-on-campus job.

WTF!  I finally find a place that has nice clothes at a discount and it's only for women and kids.  It's discrimination I tell you.  Here I was looking forward to getting a new(ish) shirt and some slacks to upgrade my 7+ year old work clothes.  Back to GoodWill I guess.

Carry on ladies.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2016, 05:15:11 PM »
I recently discovered thredUp (referral bonus link for $10 for you and $10 for me), which is basically a huge online consignment store. If you know you like Ann Taylor and Banana Republic stuff, look on there. More expensive than a thrift store but easier to find stuff from specific brands and still less expensive than buying new. (Their return policy is not bad either.) Also they have coupons and discount codes all the time.

And you really will be fine with one more pair of pants and a couple of shirts. When I used to have a job that required "work clothes" I had two pairs of pants, 5-7 shirts, and a couple of dresses and skirts that I wore, and that was for a 5-day-a-week work-on-campus job.

WTF!  I finally find a place that has nice clothes at a discount and it's only for women and kids.  It's discrimination I tell you.  Here I was looking forward to getting a new(ish) shirt and some slacks to upgrade my 7+ year old work clothes.  Back to GoodWill I guess.

Carry on ladies.

Try Schoola - its similar but supports schools. (my referral link below - we each get $10 if you sign up. EDIT - they also will send you a 50% off coupon so it's like having $20 to spend right off the bat!).

Their "Teen Boys" section is actually all men's sizes. Nautica, Gap, Nike, Ralph Lauren, North Face, J. Crew, etc.
https://www.schoola.com/stitch?ref=cp-3Xbld0Z2W
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:30:35 PM by MBot »

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2016, 07:03:29 AM »
I went to 5000 women's clothing stores.  It is all running together, but luckily I took a few pictures of the tags of stuff.  I did buy one shirt at White House Black Market (never shopped there before, very fancy!). 

Express:  too trendy

Limited:  overwhelming (not sure why) and too trendy.  Probably should have tried on a few things but I was overwhelmed.

Ann Taylor:  liked lots, but if was the first stop, so I didn't go crazy.  Would definitely go back.

Nordstroms:  terrible.  Now, our store is small.  But for women's they had the younger casual stuff, and they had old lady dress clothes, and dresses, and SUPER expensive stuff, but literally nothing in the "regular work clothes" category. 

Ann Taylor Loft:  liked one shirt a lot, but most stuff felt flimsy and like it wouldn't hold up.  I HATE thin fabric that you have to wear layers under or it is see through!  But the one shirt, I might keep an eye on online and see if it goes on deep discount.  I should have tried pants on here, but the store was busy and overwhelming.  Would go back just for pants on a weekday.

Banana Republic:  found pants I loves, but didn't have my color and size combo.  Will check online.

WHBM:  Liked a bunch of shirts, but they all had these silver grommet/button decoration thingys.  That is apparently their "look" this season as 3/4th the shirts in the store had them.  I wouldn't mind for casual wear, but not a fan of that for office wear.  Did buy the one shirt, which was a nice heavy knit, unlike 99% of what I saw (Ann Taylor was pretty much the only other place with some heavier fabrics).

Talbots:  my one pair of slacks is from there, but I disliked everything I tried on.

Eddie Bauer:  one pair of their travel line of pants that I really liked, but they were ankle pants and didn't come longer.  One blouse I really liked, but it only came in black and olive, which do not appeal to me.  I will keep an eye in the spring though, maybe they will have more appealing colors.

The other thing I noticed was that apparently navy blue is "in" right now- every store had lots of navy stuff.  I hate navy because you need all new everything to match with it.  I only do black/dark grey.  I guess because of all the navy, there was almost nothing in lighter blues, which is my most flattering color.  Lots of deep reds, which I dislike.  Oh well!

The other thing I noticed was the shocking profusion of skin tight "dress pants".  They were all super comfy, so yay for that!  But slapping a pair of pockets and some belt loops on yoga pants =/= office wear in my stodgy opinion!  I am old, apparently. 

So from here, I am going to hit Penneys and Kohls without kids this week, and if the mall that has those 2 stores has BR, AT, or Loft, I might pick a few things up there if Penneys and Kohls are a bust. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2016, 09:13:51 AM »
Nordstroms is not cheap....   but their best value is this --  I have 4 hours MAX to find a suit for that special interview that you just received a call for, and that limit is because you are on a work trip and your flight leaves at 6pm.  (this actually happened)

I walk to the expensive department, and get an employee to help me, and BAM!  Two great outfits to choose from, and only $100 more than I would normally spend for these types of clothes.  One store.   Quality look.   They have alterations on site, and I was good to go in only 3 hours.

It also is wonderful for staples like a great leather belt that will last you 10 years.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2016, 09:21:50 AM »
I actually used Nordstroms for exactly that purpose once. I was on a work trip and was called for a TV interview and asked to wear a specific color (backdrop issues). I went to Nordstroms and they hooked me up. The funny thing was, my credit card was initially declined because the purchase was so unusual for me. I had to get on the phone and answer all sorts of questions before I could buy the suit.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »

WHBM:  Liked a bunch of shirts, but they all had these silver grommet/button decoration thingys.  That is apparently their "look" this season as 3/4th the shirts in the store had them.  I wouldn't mind for casual wear, but not a fan of that for office wear.  Did buy the one shirt, which was a nice heavy knit, unlike 99% of what I saw (Ann Taylor was pretty much the only other place with some heavier fabrics).

This was one of my few pre-MMM shopping guilty pleasures.  I haunted the clearance section and an outlet close to my former home and got many great things (including a dress that I sold in consignment 3 years later for a bit more than I paid).  The silver stuff has come in and out over many seasons, but most of their stuff is great quality.  I sold and gave away over 90% of my clothes to join the Peace Corps, but the most represented brand in my closet is WHBM.  I haven't shopped there in over 2 years, but they make up at least 25% of my current wardrobe.